Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Best purchases I have ever made!
pmbuko #344221 04/05/11 05:57 PM
shareholder in the making
What Peter said. I don't use Apple products as a status symbol. Christ, have you guys SEEN me? Do I look like a hipster? I use them because I like how they work, how they're put together. I call the "I hate Apple because they suck and I hate them" type anti-bois.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #344223 04/05/11 06:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The Ipad has the most incredible user interface features I have ever seen. However, it does not have USB interface, it has no keyboard and it requires a service contract with a cell phone provider for full utility.

Although I think the Ipad is the single coolest personal data device I've ever seen, I think the hidden costs and utility limitations made the much less expensive Toshiba notebook a better choice for me.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #344224 04/05/11 06:18 PM
Hey, if it works for you, more power to you. I certainly don't use my iPad as a primary portable device; I use a laptop.

Ken.C #344226 04/05/11 06:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Me too. I went shopping to pick up an ipad. I ended up with a wee notebook instead of an ipad. I can't put it in a pocket, but I don't think the ipad will fit either.

Different strokes for different folks. When I compared functionality and price I realized that the notebook had a serious price advantage, a substantial functionality advantage and a profound coolness deficit. For me, an ipad would be like jewelry, much beauty limited functionality ... and I'm just a modest kind of guy. ... but I feel a pang when I see an ipad. Desire ... yes. Covetousness ... no!

Last edited by 2x6spds; 04/05/11 06:40 PM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #344227 04/05/11 06:28 PM
I have found that I don't need the 3G functionality. Although my iPad is a 3G model, I've never used the feature. There's plenty of wifi out there.

CV #344237 04/05/11 07:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: CV
Denying yourself something you want because you're afraid people will think you're too concerned with image would also be weak. You're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't. My advice is to steal a broken iPad 2. Confusing people is your only hope.

Charles, I was pointing out that it is weak to buy something if YOU feel that it makes YOU cool. As I've said on this forum in the past; there is a huge "cool factor" (predominantly amongst's the younger generation) with apple products (among other things), but there are others that don't fall into this category-Peter et.at.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #344238 04/05/11 07:45 PM
I would wager that most people carrying an iPad don't fall into that category.

pmbuko #344244 04/05/11 08:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Peter, your diagnosis is unfortunately false. To expand on my reply to Charles, never once have I said anything on this forum or to anyone I know, that apple products aren't good products. Aside from a couple of jokes here and there, the only thing that I've mentioned about the performance is the fact that you couldn't make phone calls with your left hand when using the early third generation iPhones.

And yes, I know very well that some of the popularity of Apple products is due to the fact that they are very well designed and functional. I actually just had a conversation with one of my new caregivers a couple weeks ago, and I told her that I can appreciate that Apple products are solid products. I have also used my friend, Ian's, Iphone, and don't have any complaints about its functionality. Although I do think my Galaxy S is better in some aspects.

Something that may come as a surprise, is that I actually supported my sister in her purchase of an Apple laptop. She knows very little about computers, and asked for my assistants. As a result, I suggested Toshiba and Apple. She subsequently chose an iMac Pro, and I've used it a couple times and liked it. I've also recommended Apple laptops to other people when questioned. And, if I ever had the need for a laptop, which I can't foresee, it would be a choice between the two aforementioned brands.

And as I mentioned to Charles-in a previous discussion on the forum, I actually specifically stated that you and Ken would use them for their functionality, rather than to be cool. Just as many others on the forum would.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #344248 04/05/11 08:47 PM
Originally Posted By: Limited Less
She knows very little about computers, and asked for my assistants

Do your assistants know more about computers than you do? :P

You know what? I might ask for one of your assistants some day.

Ken.C #344250 04/05/11 08:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
I would wager that most people carrying an iPad don't fall into that category.

That is fair enough. I honestly don't know anyone that has one.

But, Ken, you'd be surprised how many people that have purchased an iPhone blindly. When Ian purchased his iPhone, he gave me a call. Now, this is a 34 year old mature man, and we never talk on the phone. When I picked up the phone, I was really surprised to hear his voice, and after saying hello, I asked him what's new, and no word of a lie, his reply verbatim was "not much, I'm just calling you from my new iPhone". He actually ended up reiterating it again. This was a year ago, and other then a call to wish me a happy birthday, we haven't talked on the phone since. We hang out in person instead.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters