Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Totally stupid
#34265 02/18/04 05:13 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
OK... more like incredibly lucky than stupid.

Long story short. I'm a busy guy. No time to "shop". I paid off my 65" Mits a couple of weeks ago, so I figured it was time for a nice sound system. I stopped in a few stores and listened to a few speakers. I knew for sure which ones sounded bad. My problem was that once a set of speakers sounded "good" to me I lost the ability to judge them any further. This left me with at least 4 possibilities that I could live with. The lowest priced set that I liked was around $750 per pair for mains. There was a matching center, and the store recommended the smallest bookshelf speaker made by the same manufacturer for surrounds. The high end speakers that I liked were around $1100 per pair for mains with the same deal for the center and surrounds.

After months of reading reviews and forums on the web, I realized that a lot of people have put a lot more time and effort into selecting speakers than I ever will. A lot of you ended up with Axioms that you are perfectly happy with even after comparing them to much more expensive speakers.

So, I took a blind leap, and ordered M60s, a VP150, and QS8s...

All I can say is "WOW!". They arrived yesterday, and I finally had a chance to unbox them and check them out tonight. They sound wonderful, and the Maple finish with black grills looks incredible.

I didn't order my (SVS) sub yet, but I am not in such a big hurry to do so now that I have my Axioms. I was completely suprised to find that when hooked up to my HK AVR630, this combo produces enough bass to shake my couch. It almost feels like I have shakers installed under it. My house is a mid 50's brick exterior, plaster interior rancher. It is very sturdy with actual 10" 2x10 joists under the floors. Based on what I've read, I was not expecting any where this level of bass. I also have never been able to max out the volume without ever hearing any distortion on any of my previous alleged "audio" equipment. VERY cool..

The "brightness" that I was hoping to be minimal turned out to be non-existent. After being within 3 feet of many, many, live cymbal crashes, I can attest that my Axiom speakers sound just as bright, but not any brighter than the real thing.

One of my M60s has a small dent in the frame of the grill, and a small hole in the fabric below that. One of my QS8s has an approximately 1/2" long by 1/8" wide by 1/32" deep indentation in the aluminum cone of the top woofer as well. It sounds fine though. I'll call Axiom in the AM. I'm sure they'll straighten it all out.

I would like to express my gratitde to all of you that did the hard work, research, auditioning, and comparison shopping for me. All of your effort saved me a bunch of time, and I am sure a few dollars as well...

I LOVE the way that these things sound. I am one extremely happy camper right now, and I feel damn lucky.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
Re: Totally stupid
#34266 02/18/04 02:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Nice post. Glad you're satisfied. POST PICTURES!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#34267 02/18/04 03:32 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Not totally stupid...rather expected.

I hope to also be in this state when my Axiom's arrive...It has been almost a month since ordering a set of M60's, a VP150 and a set of M22's in the Warm Cherrywood Custom Finish.

I daily walk by my current speaker setup (Sony HTIB speaker set) and sigh to myself "Boy will I be glad when the Axiom's get here..." The current exception to this comment is the SVS 20-39 PC+ I replaced the subwhimper that came with the speaker set...This sub rocks. Literally.

I am hoping to get an email stating that my speakers have shipped very soon...BUT not in the next couple of days as I will be out of town and unable to pick them up!

Looking forward to a quantum leap in sound quality...

Counting the days...

WhatFurrer

"Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup..."
#34268 02/18/04 07:03 PM
regular
regular
Glad to hear that you loved the speakers. You have the same set up that I have. Wait tell you get the SVS sub...you are going to be blown away. I have had my speakers for little over a week now and they sound better and better everyday.

#34269 02/18/04 10:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I know something you don't know! I know something you don't know!

#34270 02/18/04 10:55 PM
veteran
veteran
I hate it when my wife or kids do that!!!! TELL!

"Life, liberty, and the persuit of happiness"...Go Packers! and Go Badgers!
#34271 02/18/04 11:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Amie, you are a sadist!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#34272 02/18/04 11:31 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Will, look at the post she's responding to. The label "sadist" fits perfectly, I must admit.

#34273 02/18/04 11:45 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Amie, after the nice email exchanges I've had with you over the last couple of weeks, what a surprise to find that you are delightfully twisted!! Even more interesting to see that you appear to be comfortable with that !

I'm with Jack - Give it up! Spill it!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,087 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup