Creative wall mounting
#343663 03/30/11 05:22 PM
D
Dave B Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
I ordered a white on-wall center channel because I didn't want to put my center way up over top of a fireplace mounted plasma and I also didn't want it on a stand in front of the fireplace itself. My thinking was that I could just mount it on my (white) mantel and while it wouldn't be a perfect fit, it'd blend in enough. Plus it'd be almost dead on even with the tweeters of the M22s and produce optimal sound.

It arrived and I realized there was a problem: I designed it to fit at pretty much the highest point in the mantel. The rounded edge of the VP100 fits nicely into the concavity of the crown moulding in the mantel, and it sits as far back as possible, maintaining at least a semblance of blending in (and being as close as possible to the same distance from the sweet spot as the front channels).

But the way the newer mounts work requires me to slide it down from a higher position to sit on the mount. Which means I need about an inch and a half of clearance. Which I don't have.

The speaker, as you can see in the photo, still stands out quite a bit at 1" of jutting down at the bottom. Trust me when I say it looks really bad at 2.5" exposed.

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showpic&id=1148

What I'm thinking is that I can mount the speaker to a thin piece of material, either some MDF or a piece of 1x4, and then mount that piece to the mantel. Ideally there'd be some sort of way that I could slide it into a few holes I drilled until it clamped or clicked. Something to anchor it in there after sliding in horizontally. But I'm not aware of anything that does that that'd also bear the weight of the speaker.

My other idea was to either modify the bracket or make a duplicate of it that doesn't have the top of the vertical piece. Such a T-shaped piece would allow me to mount it and then slide the speaker in from the side. I don't trust myself to shave down the stock bracket, though, and don't know how I'd make a duplicate.

Any ideas? The FMBs would have it jutting out several inches into the room, which would not be acceptable.

Re: Creative wall mounting
Dave B #343845 04/01/11 05:28 PM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
That is a tough mount indeed, I have ideas at the moment, good luck.

You wouldn't need to make a duplicate bracket, you should be able to buy another from Axiom.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Re: Creative wall mounting
jakewash #343970 04/03/11 03:06 PM
D
Dave B Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
D
My current best idea is to just buy another fireplace mantel kit because this one is cheap anyway, build in an in-cabinet/wall one instead, and return the white VP100. I need to stick my camera up in there to see where the studs are in between the fireplace and TV cutout. I'm sure there's probably one that's centered that would kill that idea though.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044