Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: QS8s vs. ERD-1 vs. FXi A4 vs. ADP-590
Ken.C #346736 04/30/11 07:26 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
That will drop now that he will play the M80s above 95db for hours on end wink

I was very happy with my own results considering I have worked in very loud environments when younger and never used hearing protection. I consider myself very lucky.

Now that you have 'tested' your hearing, there are those that will suggest those ultrasonic frequencies do add to the 'feeling' of the music/sound akin to the subsonic subwoofer notes you don't hear but feel. I have had one occasion to listen to a super tweeter set up and I found it didn't add anything, YMMV. smile

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Senator #346741 04/30/11 07:51 PM
S
Senator Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
A quick power question. Having only had A/V receivers before, as I look to amp my final setup, what power recommendations would you suggest?

Senator #346748 04/30/11 09:16 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
A receiver might be enough.

If you really want to get external amplification, I'd get at least 200wpc, and from a trusted manufacturer like Outlaw, Rotel, etc. Solid State amps don't have moving parts in most cases and the technology has been mature for a while, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good quality used piece.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Senator #346760 05/01/11 01:43 AM
Senator, you certainly don't need to describe what you found as "limited perception". It's quite typical for your age(if you're 24 as I was when I graduated)and is more than sufficient for full enjoyment of the great music available to us.

As to the power requirements, a watt is a defined unit of electrical power and doesn't vary with the type of unit supplying it. No more is needed with a separate amplifier than is needed with a receiver. With speakers of average or slightly higher sensitivity, such as the Axioms, typical receivers(or separate amplifiers)rated anywhere in the 100-150 watt area can drive them to all safe(to your hearing)listening levels or beyond.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Senator #346768 05/01/11 03:55 AM
devotee
devotee
Can say much about all this speaker since I only have Axioms and now a pair of KEF, but the QS8´s are the nicest speakers I got. They are really awesome!

Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
tomtuttle #346905 05/02/11 05:07 AM
S
Senator Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
A receiver might be enough.

If you really want to get external amplification, I'd get at least 200wpc, and from a trusted manufacturer like Outlaw, Rotel, etc. Solid State amps don't have moving parts in most cases and the technology has been mature for a while, so I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good quality used piece.

I was originally thinking that a receiver might be enough, but I tested one of Onyko's newer receiver, which was listed at 145 watts per channel. In actually testing the lines, with all nine channels running, output was 90-115 watts, so it was not as advertised. I tested a Sony ES listed at 125 watts and found it dropped all the way into the 50s, with all channels running. So, it seems like dedicated, concentrated power, via amps and maybe a pre/pro sounds like a better bet for sexy sound. Since the Axioms handle up to 400 watts, I am just trying to get an idea on what wattage I should set my sights on? (And I am also open to user's suggestions for amps too--so far I like Outlaw and Emotiva the best for bang for the buck and reviews).

Thanks for your thoughts.

Senator #346907 05/02/11 05:23 AM
Yes, the unit was "as advertised". The FTC amplifier power regs require the rating to be per channel with at least two channels driven simultaneously for a continuous period of at least 5 minutes at the full rated power. An "all channels driven" rating is unrealistic in real world home listening outside the testing lab. Rarely would even two channels be driven at full power simultaneously; multiple channels essentially never are in that condition, as testers such as those in Sound&Vision point out. The FTC explicitly rejected last year a proposal to require an all channel driven rating and affirmed the two channel requirement.

The maximum power ratings on speakers relate to the power(generally conservative)which could be handled without permanent damage to the speaker. They have nothing to do with the power actually required. As stated previously, ratings anywhere in the 100 watt area should do the job. Unused headroom is simply that: unused.

JohnK #347010 05/03/11 02:57 AM
J
J
Used Rotel, Parasound, Bryston etc. amps are also another source of cheapish amplification

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
JohnK #347044 05/03/11 06:25 AM
S
Senator Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
S
Originally Posted By: JohnK
Yes, the unit was "as advertised". The FTC amplifier power regs require the rating to be per channel with at least two channels driven simultaneously for a continuous period of at least 5 minutes at the full rated power. An "all channels driven" rating is unrealistic in real world home listening outside the testing lab. Rarely would even two channels be driven at full power simultaneously; multiple channels essentially never are in that condition, as testers such as those in Sound&Vision point out. The FTC explicitly rejected last year a proposal to require an all channel driven rating and affirmed the two channel requirement.

The maximum power ratings on speakers relate to the power(generally conservative)which could be handled without permanent damage to the speaker. They have nothing to do with the power actually required. As stated previously, ratings anywhere in the 100 watt area should do the job. Unused headroom is simply that: unused.

See, this is why you guys are best. ^I've never heard this anywhere else.

I tested some more speakers and I got to hear a set-up with some B & W speakers. They ran an Integra A/V Receiver (rated at 140 Watts/Channel @ 8 ohm) and then they ran the same clips through the Integra using the pre-outs into a Parasound amp (250 watts rms per channel into 8 ohm, all channels driven). Leaving the volume the exact same, I was blown away by how much better it sounded, especially at lower listening levels. I expected the gains to be mainly during louder sections, but I actually noticed the biggest difference in the quieter sections, especially with on and off-screen dialogue. It was more crisp and clear, especially female voices and higher pitched sounds/tones.

In providing more power to your speakers, have others found the same to be true?

Senator #347046 05/03/11 06:41 AM
The only way of actually "providing more power" to a speaker is to play it louder so that more power is actually used. If for example 5 watts are being used at a particular instant in time, simply connecting a 100 watt or 1000 watt amplifier instead of one having a 10 watt rating doesn't give it a watt more of power.

Edit: the volume wasn't "the exact same" if the setting on the volume control was unchanged, since the gain of the Parasound was different than that of the internal Integra amplifier. Slight differences in loudness can be misinterpreted as a qualitative rather than a quantitative difference. This is why in blind listening tests one basic requirement is that volume be matched to within 0.1dB.

Last edited by JohnK; 05/03/11 06:55 AM.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082