Re: Advice on an AV amp....
bobt #345383 04/18/11 06:36 PM
B
bobt Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
B
The other problem with all this, is the upstairs, is really the wifes domain. It has to "LOOK" nice. So i can't be throwing speakers and stuff all over the place. More form then function sort to speak. The old Polks would work fine up there. BUT there hugh, need to be a foot off the back wall to work right. Altho they would probably work great...probably look VERY out of place in the room. I would probably have to go with some M2's on stands, so they don't stick out like sore thumbs, I may be able to get away with the Advents as back speakers sitting on the floor under a high table or something...there not really small either.

Maybe the better solution is to use the Advents as the fronts, as they will put out alot more bass, and can be put right up against the wall...so they really will not be in the way and NOT stick out that much. Put the M2's on some nice stands..up against the back wall...so they look, like nice decorative pieces in the room. The Advents will put out alot of volume and bass, as compared to the M2's (at least i would think so).

Probably the best solution to this room, and still have it look "NICE"...LOL While getting good sound.

bobt #345391 04/18/11 08:34 PM
B
bobt Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
B
Let me explain the Advents, there old reissue's from the late 80's of the original 1970 large Advents. They have updated tweeters and cross overs. That was it, there all gone now. no more speakers from this company that are worth a crap. I had the woofers redone a year ago...in a word, they work perfectly.

They produce great bass, and volume for there size. which is really not that small. They love to sit on the floor, and againist a wall...put out a lot of bass and volume.

For the best match i should probably go with the M3's on stands. Just work it like that. The Advents don't like stands, they like the floor, and at 10 feet back...will pretty much blow your face off if you crank them.

bobt #345394 04/18/11 09:11 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Originally Posted By: bobt
Maybe the better solution is to use the Advents as the fronts, as they will put out alot more bass , ...
The Advents will put out alot of volume and bass , as compared to the M2's.

They produce great bass , and volume for there size. which is really not that small. They love to sit on the floor, and againist a wall...put out a lot of bass and volume.

Now I "assume" with the dual 6.5 bass drivers,and the ports, using this power, i should get the bass i need for most "classic" rock

But he felt the Swan gave a much bigger sound stage, and the bass hit in him in the chest (basically a better bass feel)

In the end he went with the Swan due to the soundstage and possiable better bass .

Even with the broken Polks i can feel the bass going thru the bar.

Strange, the dual 8's would seem to be able to put out bass , but the high volume thing seems to be a problem.

If i play the 1812 i want to "FEEL" the Cannons in my gut.

The treble i can back off, as long as the bass is there

Bob, it seems to me that what you really need is dual EP800s wink

Bruno
M80s/VP180/QS8s/EP600/AVR-890
------------------------------------
"The problem is choice..."
bdpf #345395 04/18/11 09:23 PM
B
bobt Offline OP
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
B
LMAO....Well your talking about 2 completely different spaces and rooms. The downstairs...my domain..is for the M80's..strict 2 channel.

The upstiars is the living room and a possiable HT set up.

bobt #345400 04/18/11 10:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Dual EP800s sounds like 2 channel to me.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457