You are not logged in. [Log In]

Forums » General Discussion » The Water Cooler » Barbecuer's unite :). Advice needed please.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#347476 - 05/07/11 06:36 PM Barbecuer's unite :). Advice needed please.
Ya_basta Offline
connoisseur

Loc: Sitting down somewhere
My best friend just purchased a new stainless steel barbecue and I told him that it's important to protect it from the elements (especially the bottom section because it's made of very thin stainless steel).

What would you guys recommend? I did a brief search and came across this article that recommended 3M Stainless Steel Cleaner and Polish (at the bottom of the page), and another website that linked to this YouTube video for a product called ProtectaClear.

The ProtectaClear looks like a solid performer but I doubt it's available locally.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#347562 - 05/08/11 07:00 PM Re: Barbecuer's unite :). Advice needed please. [Re: Ya_basta]
fhw Offline
devotee

Loc: London, ON
I've left mine out all winter for years without a problem. Just a run of the mill BBQ cover will do.

#347570 - 05/08/11 08:50 PM Re: Barbecuer's unite :). Advice needed please. [Re: fhw]
jakewash Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Mine is 5 years old and just a cover with a yearly thorough spring cleaning/wipedown followed by the occasional monthly cleaning it still looks as good as new. IMO, just keeping it from direct exposure to the elements as much as possible will make it last till you want to buy a new one.

My HT

#347621 - 05/09/11 03:19 PM Re: Barbecuer's unite :). Advice needed please. [Re: jakewash]
Ya_basta Offline
connoisseur

Thanks, guys. I guess a cover, and keeping it stored in the shed or garage, it is.

Cheers.

#347633 - 05/09/11 06:59 PM Re: Barbecuer's unite :). Advice needed please. [Re: Ya_basta]
2x6spds Offline
connoisseur

Loc: CA, USA
Are you having an identity crisis? Is that you again?

I take it the grill is not a built in. Just leave it outside, let it fill up with dried leaves and spider webs. Use Naval Jelly every 3 years to clean up the rust and bird droppings. Make sure your propane tank is off-white with a decorative rust patina.

Or, you can get a nice Weber and use charcoal, as man was meant to grill.

#347637 - 05/09/11 07:22 PM Re: Barbecuer's unite :). Advice needed please. [Re: 2x6spds]
Wid Offline
axiomite

Loc: The Peoples Republic of Il.

Quote:
Or, you can get a nice Weber and use charcoal, as man was meant to grill.

Not that grilling is the same as BBQ, still a nice Weber is the way to go for grilling.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#347644 - 05/09/11 08:12 PM Re: Barbecuer's unite :). Advice needed please. [Re: Wid]
2x6spds Offline
connoisseur

You're right, Rick. I just figured Cam said BBQ but meant grill.

Let's ask him,

HELLO, CAM ... did you mean BBQ or grill, and if you're not sure of the difference, tell us why you referred to your friend's grill as a BBQ, OK??

#347647 - 05/09/11 08:51 PM Re: Barbecuer's unite :). Advice needed please. [Re: 2x6spds]
Ya_basta Offline
connoisseur

A barbecue and grill are interchangeable terms when referring to the cooking appliance, as I was. But, as Rick correctly stated, it's the cooking technique that differs.

Used literally, the term "grilling" refers to cooking food over a direct flame or other high-heat source. BBQ, on the other hand, has three distinct differences. One main difference between grilling and BBQ is the heat source. BBQ uses indirect heat or low-level heat to cook foods - usually meats.

If you're cooking with low, indirect heat on a Weber "grill", you're barbequing.

We do both, so it's a fucking barbecue.

Edited by Powertothepeople (05/09/11 09:03 PM)

#347651 - 05/09/11 09:52 PM Re: Barbecuer's unite :). Advice needed please. [Re: Ya_basta]
pmbuko Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Ben Lomond, California
Cam, have you forgotten this is supposed to be a "family-friendly" board?

#347653 - 05/09/11 10:05 PM Re: Barbecuer's unite :). Advice needed please. [Re: Ya_basta]
2x6spds Offline
connoisseur

Cam wrote:

"A barbecue and grill are interchangeable terms when referring to the cooking appliance, as I was. But, as Rick correctly stated, it's the cooking technique that differs.

Used literally, the term "grilling" refers to cooking food over a direct flame or other high-heat source. BBQ, on the other hand, has three distinct differences. One main difference between grilling and BBQ is the heat source. BBQ uses indirect heat or low-level heat to cook foods - usually meats.

If you're cooking with low, indirect heat on a Weber "grill", you're barbequing.

We do both, so it's a fucking barbecue."

Yes, I'm sure it is one of those special and profane barbecues. I am not surprised that when caught not knowing the difference between a grill and a bbq, (no big deal, really) first you contend there's no difference and then you resort to profanity.

You really lower the level of discourse here, Cam.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 
Forum Stats

15,238 Registered Members
15 Forums
24,015 Topics
424,275 Posts

Most users ever online:
883 @ 03/04/17 05:06 PM

Top Posters
Ken.C 18044
pmbuko 16437