Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Perfect size movie room
axiom_man #348465 05/18/11 02:56 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm in the same boat trying to figure out if we will finish our basement and if so what dimensions work for the media room. I'm currently looking at roughly 16x10x8. I'm debating only doing a partial wall (half wall) in the back, but don't know what that will do for sound. The reason for this is that a bar will be on the other side of the wall, so with a partial wall you could potentially sit at the bar and still be able to see the screen.

We are having trouble finding room for a media room, bar, playroom, bathroom, and storage down there, so trying to make it all work is getting a little frustrating.

axiom_man #348480 05/18/11 08:36 AM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
Originally Posted By: axiom_man
Never heard this, I have heard the three sides not divisable between them or by a number. something like 15 x 21 x 7, where 3 or 7 would be a common or 12 x 16 x 7 where 4 would be the common
Originally Posted By: nickboros
axiom_man,

You are supposed to avoid having any of the dimensions divisible by the same number if at all possible. Since it sounds like you will be picking the dimensions then you can avoid having them all divisible by 3 (15.5 is nearly divisible by 3). I would just change them all slightly to avoid this issue, which can cause acoustic problems.

I read this in a good article somewhere but don't remember exactly where. It's just something that has been ingrained in my memory for a while now. The best I could find in a quick google search was this link: http://www.gcmstudio.com/acoustics/acoustics.html . About a third of the way down it mentions the following.

"Redundant room dimensions or evenly divisible room dimension ratios will compound standing waves so this is why room shape is almost as important as room size"

So, like I said since you are building the room and are free to choose the dimensions then just try to add or subtract one foot to each dimension so that they are not all divisible by the same number. Then you will have essentially the same size room, but less problems with some frequencies being boosted or missing in certain locations in the room.

axiom_man #348481 05/18/11 08:45 AM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
Originally Posted By: axiom_man
I guess what I am more concerned with is how much space up front i need ? if I have M80's, a 92- 108" screen, dual Subs most likely they are 2' wide so that takes up 4ft.

Basically how much space between the side walls and the M80' s do i need? say 1.5ft away given the M80's are 10" ea. so, that will require 4.5'. if I allow 1 ft from M80 to screen that 6.5' screen 8ft that's 14.5'. now that would put the subs 6ft apart up front the room 14.5'.
So should I allow more space to the side walls ? is 6ft space between two EP500's not enough ?

What would be the ideal space from the left to the right allowing for good speaker positioning ?
If dual subs is better than one, I would assume they not be side by side? That has already been answered in another topis, by Jake though.
Which leads me to ask is one EP800 better than two EP500's ?

The room will be approxiamalty 2300sq ft give or take a couple hundred

Axiom_Man,

Here are a couple of articles on the best locations for multiple subs as a starting point. Like the article says these are just suggestions as starting points and then you can measure the results in the room and slightly tweak the location from there if necessary. Then EQ if you can.

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/subwoofer-connection-guide

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/multiple-subwoofer-setup-calibration-1

Nick B #348482 05/18/11 09:37 AM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
i don't think it has been said yet, but if you use a projector screen you should paint the side walls and maybe the ceiling a medium to dark gray to absorb reflections so they don't wash out the image on your screen.
this should be done near the screen going towards the audience.
no need to paint the whole room.

J. B. #348484 05/18/11 11:30 AM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
Regarding ideal room dimensions, i found an extract from a book by James Mair: "High Quality Sound Reproduction" where he recommends that room dimensions not be multiples of one another; he gives examples of room dimensions that will evenly distribute room resonances:

small room: 1 x 1.25 x 1.6
medium room: 1 x 1.6 x 2.5
large room: 1 x 1.25 x 3.2

there is also a good site on the net: http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/acoustics_info/room_sizing/?content=index

where it says:Louden [3] calculated the modal distribution for a large number of room ratios and published a list of preferred dimensions based on the standard deviation of the intermode spacing to achieve evenly spaced modes. The method produces the well known room ratio of 1:1.4:1.9.

hope this helps. :-)

Last edited by J. Bellemare; 05/18/11 11:57 AM.
Zarak #348533 05/18/11 06:10 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Oh no, no, no bad all divisable by 2.
not good.
Originally Posted By: Zarak
I'm in the same boat trying to figure out if we will finish our basement and if so what dimensions work for the media room. I'm currently looking at roughly 16x10x8. I'm debating only doing a partial wall (half wall) in the back, but don't know what that will do for sound. The reason for this is that a bar will be on the other side of the wall, so with a partial wall you could potentially sit at the bar and still be able to see the screen.

We are having trouble finding room for a media room, bar, playroom, bathroom, and storage down there, so trying to make it all work is getting a little frustrating.

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
J. B. #348534 05/18/11 06:11 PM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
room is all dark blue, I have no WAF

Originally Posted By: J. Bellemare
i don't think it has been said yet, but if you use a projector screen you should paint the side walls and maybe the ceiling a medium to dark gray to absorb reflections so they don't wash out the image on your screen.
this should be done near the screen going towards the audience.
no need to paint the whole room.

Pioneer sc-1525
M80 HG Cherry
axiom_man #348536 05/18/11 06:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Flat black should be better than dark gray to absorb reflections. Perhaps some black velvet cloth would work even better.

CatBrat #348554 05/18/11 07:45 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
matte paint.

J. B. #348563 05/18/11 08:32 PM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
Axiom_Man,

I would listen to AV Rant 191. This was put together by two guest hosts, while Tom was moving to Australia last summer. I remember listening to it last summer and being blown away by the amount of very good information about almost everything you need to know about putting together a home theater room. I'd heard or read just about everything that they talked about at some point (a lot of which I had forgotten), but it is all here in one location to listen to and take notes. If I remember correctly, they address nearly all questions that have been asked here. They also talked about much much more. Here is a link.

http://www.avrant.com/?p=1449

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020