Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Cable match-up to the M60
#3471 06/10/02 08:01 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Quark, if you really had that name you couldn't have become anything but a physicist, could you? The only point of significance on your speaker cables is that their resistance be negligible in comparison to the impedance of your speakers. Bear in mind that all speakers have over 100 feet of wire( cheap wire! ) inside with gauges running in the 20s and 30s. A conservative rule is that the cable resistance shouldn't be more than 5% of the speaker impedance. In your case a 6 foot run of even 20 ga would have a total resistance of about 0.12 ohm. Copper is the ideal low-resistance relatively inexpensive material for conducting electricity. Silver has an even slightly lower resistance, but it's absurd to spend the money when copper supplies the low resistance so easily.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#3472 06/10/02 02:55 PM
veteran
veteran
Hello Everybody,

Ok, Try this site for a good read, Http://www.sundial.net/~rogerr/wire.htm - If you have trouble connecting, let me know and I will foward the page to you.

CAV104

#3473 06/10/02 08:16 PM
veteran
veteran
Hello Everybody Again,

This is my first attempt at posting a link, lets see how it goes. This is the link for my last post. By the way, its all about SPEAKER WIRE and just when you thought you had enough.
Speaker Wire

CAV104

Last edited by axiom; 06/10/02 08:26 PM.
#3474 06/11/02 01:08 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Edited by axiom?
Just what kind of link did you add there CAV?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#3475 06/11/02 02:17 AM
veteran
veteran
Hey chesseroo,

One thats educational and informative of course. Just needed a little help with the url thing.

CAV104

Re: interconnects the same?
#3476 06/12/02 11:03 PM
old hand
old hand
OK, so I'm convinced about speaker wire. Actually, I'm convinced to UPgrade, as I still have some cheapo 16 guage zipcord for my surround speakers.

But, how about interconnects? Is it the same where the cheapest cord with the appropriate connectors are adequate or should you spend some dough for some decent ones? From years with a cheap system, I have concluded that the cable does make a difference, as I often would have unexplained static, distortion or video noise that could be alleviated just by moving cables around. It seemed that the cheap cables lacked the insulation to avoid interference from surrounding cables/fields. Or they were too thin, and were easily damaged. Any truth to this?

Having just put in an (expensive) order for some bettercables.com interconnects to finally replace my cheapo ones, I hope that this was justified! (for the sake of my survival against a vigilant budgeting spouse!) It's probably not too late to cancel the order!

M60s, VP150, QS8 x4 ACI Titan II sub Anthem AVM20 pre/pro Anthem PVA7 amp Panasonic DVD-RP91
#3477 06/12/02 11:26 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Personally i've never been one to pay much for interconnects either but i agree that the crappola stuff that comes with the dvd or vcr really sucks. Tin metal wiring with inflexible cheap plastic shielding and loose fits.
I've had issues with crackling and that nonsense as well. I shouldn't have to shift any cables to get good connections.

I looked around on ebay and found some acoustic research cables which i've picked up for no more than ten to fifteen bucks each or so (got a toslink, composite a/v, component vid and subwoofer cable which cost about $20 cuz it was a 30 footer).
Beyond buying a slightly better built interconnect i sure haven't gone crazy purchasing really expensive stuff. After all, copper is still copper...but the crackling sure has improved.

#3478 06/14/02 07:05 AM
veteran
veteran
ChrisR

Ah... You have hit on another area where there could (will be) controversy! As a believer that good speaker wire is just plain copper wire (12 to 14 gage), I have a slightly different opnion about interconnects (ICs) (whatever happened to the good old term of patch cords?) Well, anyway...

I believe that most equipment that comes with ICs, comes with pretty cheap ones. And IF you have a fairly high end system (meaning lots of $ invested), then you should "consider" some good quality ICs. I say consider because if you are not experiencing any audible problems or sound degradation, then I wouldn't bother.
But let's say you have the "bug" to upgrade. You go out and buy that new $1000+ HT receiver, and/or a $500 DVD player, then why not spring for some really good ICs?

So, what is decent or a reasonable amount to spend? Ah! Now we really get down to the nitty gritty! So...How much do you WANT to spend?

Well, (for example) if you trip down to a Circuit City and look at their Monster (brand) cables - you will find at least 3 different "quality" (and price) levels. Which do you buy? Well just ask the salesman! (And you will probably end up with the most expensive!) That's a waste of $ if you ask me! I say shop around and buy what you are comfortable with. The only TRUE way to tell if there is any difference in the "sound" is to do a double blind listening test (as already pointed out in this thread). And for most of us, that's pretty difficult. Again - copper is copper! IMO - What really counts here is quality of construction, connectors (gold plating is good!) and shielding/grounding. Once you pay for ICs with a good connector and shielding - the actual wiring will (should) be just fine. Stick with a brand known for quality and price in the middle of the pack, and you should be a happy (and somewhat frugal) audophile.

So, if you choose - let us know what you decide.

Good Luck!

Randyman

#3479 06/14/02 11:18 PM
old hand
old hand
Well, as it turns out, it was too late to cancel my order with bettercables.com! They were so prompt, the day after I left the post about the cables (and the day after I orderd them) they were at my door. And that was the free ground shipping - overnight!

I decided that since I now had a good quality preamp and amp to connect instead of just a receiver, I at least needed new cables to connect the amp to the preamp. For the others, I could wait and see, and maybe do some comparisons. (Things are mostly wired with the freebie cables or Walmart specials.) So I have new bettercables silver serpent interconnects between my Anthem preamp and amp. I also bought one new digital coax to "upgrade" my old CD player. (see my post in another thread)

The sound blows away anything I had before, but that is comparing the new components, not any cables. I just didn't want to worry about the connections between the amp and preamp being low-quality. The source connectors I'll do one as the mood strikes.

M60s, VP150, QS8 x4 ACI Titan II sub Anthem AVM20 pre/pro Anthem PVA7 amp Panasonic DVD-RP91
#3480 06/15/02 12:15 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Well there are worse things in the world than having interconnects that cost you a bit more, like having interconnects that cost you a second mortgage on your house. And the scary part is THOSE SUCH CABLES EXIST!!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020