Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Are Axiom not good rock speakers???
#34822 04/01/04 11:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It's pretty simple for me...I've just decided the vast majority of CD's aren't worth it, so I don't buy them. If I don't like the whole album, it's not worth the $15. So, there's only two ways I will buy for the rare times I do (1 CD a year I'd guess). Reason 1, it's from a band that I know and love and am relatively sure I'm gonna like the entire CD (example being the upcoming NIN album coming out later this year...I'll buy that the day it comes out). Reason 2, there is the rare radio song that I just love so much and can't get out of my head that I'll go out and buy the rest of the album. In this case, I'm not as sure I'll like it all, but I generally do when there is one song I like that much.

Other then that, I'll stick to the sidelines and hope prices drop. If more people did it this way, sales would drop a lot, and prices would need to follow. I don't see anyone convincing the masses to stop buying music anytime soon though....too many people just accept that the price is the price and buy it anyway.

#34823 04/02/04 12:55 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Ken,
you're right (at least in my own little world). Since I've been able to download music files, my cd purchases have increased. This is due to having access to all different kinds of music and different artists I would never have dreamed of hearing. I'm also a little more willing to drop that $15 knowing that I will enjoy the entire cd.

"Chickens don't clap."
#34824 04/02/04 03:54 AM
veteran
veteran
I'm doing the exact same thing kcarlile. No cent of my music purchases goes to the RIAA.

I tried to keep my first comment value-neutral, but if you want to talk about this...

Where does copyright come from and what is its purpose? The power congress has to grant copyrights comes from Article 1, Section 8: "Congress shall have the power ... To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries"

If we accept what the constitution says, copyrights exist not for the artist, but our society. You only "own" a song you wrote because that might encourage you to make more songs. This is actually the only place (to my knowledge) that they included the purpose, or aim of how they gave power. Maybe they were afraid of the crazy (in both scope and duration) copyrights and patents that happened anyway in our time. There has been a lot of bad stuff pulled by the RIAA (and the MPAA, but less so now), but that's another lengthy post.

I'm not against you getting your investment back in creating songs, but I think we can get a little overboard when we try to 'own' things like ideas, songs, phrases, and so forth, as we would 'own' a house, a piece of land, a fence, et cetera.

The supreme court has ruled that Copyright Violation is not equatable to theft. That we keep calling it that is mostly due to RIAA propaganda.

I'm not aiming to convince you that downloading copyrighted music is above any sort of criticism, or that you shouldn't have rights as a creator (I would say the constitution gives the reason for the rights), but I would like people to recognize that the issue is not a closed book. Far from it.

#34825 04/02/04 05:38 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
If you want to rip the audio from the dvd that sounds better I found an easy to use program called DVD Audio Ripper:
http://www.imtoo.com/dvd-audio-ripper.html

It rips them to .wav or .mp3 so you can make a cd of it or put it on your mp3 player. I used this for some of my concert dvds that didn't have cd counterparts.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 175 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup