Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Any other crotch rocker riders around these parts?
Micah #349866 06/09/11 08:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Micah
You can get killed on a bike just as easily going 2 mph as you can at 150 mph.

Only in some situations. In others, like if a car pulls out in front of you, I'll bet you'll wish you'd have been going 2 mph instead of 150.

Quote:
But I'm with you guys, I can't stand those idiots who ride wheelies or like a general madman through town, traffic, around kids, etc...

Yet, you are OK with doing 160 on a public road yourself. You have met traffic on your runs. You have tried to do a few things in the name of safety - early AM runs, flat land with good visibility - but the fact remains that you are racing on a public road, and you are fooling yourself if you think that that is safe.

You want to race, go to a race track. Cut the whining about how expensive it is or how far away it is.

Otherwise, you're just a Darwin Award waiting to happen. I just hope you don't take anyone else with you.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #349868 06/09/11 09:41 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I'm not knocking the hobby of riding bikes at all. In fact, most of my clients who own a bike are very careful and defensive drivers. They are aware that inattentive people driving cars don't look out for them. Therefore, it makes them cautious when driving automobiles too. But, in my experience as an insurance agent, the people who buy crotch rockets tend to buy them for speed...as if they are toys. They certainly can't be comfortable riding for long distances. I've seen guys ride them with their feet on the gas tank so they didn't have to lean over!

Also, if you die going 2mph on a motorcycle, more than likely it won't be your fault. But, you DO take your life in your own hands by going 150mph. I doubt you could blame anyone but yourself going those speeds. All I'm saying is that these vehicles aren't toys. Unless you are on a racetrack, there is absolutely NO reason to travel at those speeds. Please enjoy your sport, but be careful.

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD
MarkSJohnson #349870 06/09/11 10:38 PM
shareholder in the making
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
At those speeds, just hope they can find enough of you to fill a shoebox.

And I'll throw in one more comment that I meant to add to my post above (but the boards seemed to be frozen at the time):

Micah, it doesn't make sense to me that you tout in one thread that you're going to start "putting the kids first" and in the next thread you start, demonstrate just how willing you are to leave them fatherless.

Responsible people don't do 150MPH on public roads...period.... regardless of the time-of-day.

There. I said it. Fire away.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #349879 06/10/11 12:50 AM
Amen, Mark and JP. You're also endangering people who see the nutball coming and try to move to avoid hitting him or him hitting them.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
medic8r #349881 06/10/11 01:22 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: medic8r
You want to race, go to a race track.

+1

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Micah #349883 06/10/11 01:45 AM
I've known 5 times as many people who've died in car accidents than in motorcycle accidents, but I don't tell people to sell their cars after someone I know dies in a car accident.
That's mostly because way more than 5 times as many people drive cars than ride motorcycles. smile

Micah #349892 06/10/11 03:31 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

Along that 1.6 miles of road is almost dead flat

Word up, guy.

I used to think the same thing about parts of my commute between El Paso and Tucson @ 135 in my Acura. Then, on one trip, I was finally confronted with the question: Why did the javelina cross the road?

Have fun, but at least think about what Mary says. She authorizes insurance policy death "benefits" professionally. Remember, none of the benefits will be benefitting you. It's the final insult.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #349896 06/10/11 04:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
And your title led me to a grave misconception. Whew! Glad I read the whole thing.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Ken.C #349897 06/10/11 05:56 AM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
You're also endangering people who see the nutball coming and try to move to avoid hitting him or him hitting them.

I'm not here to apologise to anyone for the way I live my life. I've never denied that my hobbies carry risks to my own well being. As a 40 year old man I take full responsibility for the consequences of those risks to myself.

But I DO NOT put others at risk, so to address the above quote... why on earth would that 20,000 to 30,000 pound tractor have to try to move out of the way of a 450 pound motorcycle passing them doing the speed limit???

The gearing changes I've made to my bike has caused major speedo error, which is why I use the GPS to give an accurate speed reading in those videos. 80 mph on my bikes speedo is 55 mph on the GPS, I've tested and confirmed that on multiple GPS units. The speed limit on that road is 55 mph. You will never see me pass another vehicle going more than a few mph over the speed limit at the most, I'm usually going under the speed limit when I pass other vehicles. Perhaps you skipped over the part where I very clearly stated that I do not endorse riding irresponsibly around town, in traffic, in populated areas and around children, and I don't do any of those things myself period.

This road is out in bfe farmer land. I never would have known it existed before I bought my bike brand new in 2005, until my mechanic recommended I do a hard break in on it to seal up the cylinders as tightly as possible. To which I responded, "yeah, but where am I supposed to do a hard break-in around here"? He said, "take it out to Terrys, that's where we break in the customer bikes".

So I talked to Terry. Terry owns the farm on the left hand side of the road at the west end of that road. He works for Barry (my mechanic) on all the farming equipment that comes into the shop. His uncle owns the farm across from him, and his uncles father (what does that make him anyhow, his great uncle?) owns the farm on the left hand side of the east end of that road. Rick owns the other farm along that road, he isn't related to Terry or his uncles, but he and Terry are best friends.

Terry was the one who told me to go out and break my bike in down his road. Secluded, wide open (until the corn starts to grow), and you're more likely to encounter a tractor or some other farming equipment than anything. They drag race their snow mobiles down that road in the winter. You have plenty of visible warning when a vehicle is coming. First of all there are a couple of hills that precede last hill at either end of the road, so you can spot any traffic well before it appears on the main stretch.

But even if you were to miss something before it did pop up over the last hill, you'd still have close to a mile to slow down before you passed them... only someone who didn't give a shit about doing tripple digits in traffic could endanger another vehicle on Terrys road... and that ain't me. Well before I reach either hill top I've already slowed back down to the speed limit. I never take off if there is a vehicle coming either way. If anyone is going to get hurt by my actions down Terrys road, it would be me.

Besides the time I broke my bike in, I've gone out to Terrys a half dozen times. Besides those handful of high speed runs I follow the rules of the road like anyone else. In 20 years of riding I've been ticketed once while on a motorcycle. So you boys can criticize how much I'm endangering all those helpless motorists on the road all you want, it really doesn't matter because that just ain't the way it is. You'd be better off harshly condeming me for jumping out of an airplane because if my chut fails to open I just might land on an unsuspecting civilian minding his own business on the ground. That's much more likely to happen than me slamming into a car pulling out in front of me down Terrys road... lmao, you're more than welcome to my EP800's if you could pull off that magic trick!

BUT, the audacity to bring my kids into this thread and to insinuate that I must really not give a shit about them if I'm willing to take risks with my life.... man I have to say, I've been preached at many time in my years, but I certainly didn't come back here to listen to some bull shit like that. The comments concerning my kids had to do with my relationship status, not my speed fetish. I've put women on the back burner for the next 5 to 6 years so as not to drag Christian or Ellie through anymore of the agony that relationship drama puts kids through. I didn't decide to do that to gain anyone elses approval, I did that for the sake of my kids, period.

My kids and I have a very open and understanding relationship. They went through my cancer with me, they are well aware that I live my life the way I want to live it. I'm not the kind of person who just has to tell others how to live their lives. And I'm really disinterested in hanging around a site with so many who feel the need to judge mine.

To everyone else, it's been a pleasure.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #349899 06/10/11 12:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Micah: I wish you'd understand that, if any judgement was going down, it was about a singular behavior you chose to share here--a small branch, not the whole tree.

I had my first fatal cancer diagnosis @ 26. After my unexpected recovery, I got as wild as I could at every opportunity. When I got my 2nd fatal @ 40 is when I started jumping out of planes and doin' 135 across the NM/AZ desert. Needless to say, the "I'm really not afraid of death anymore" behaviors began to pile up. I even started smoking again.

Then I realized how difficult my jollies were for friends and family. I had survived fatal diseases twice, when I had no scientific reason, either time, to think that I would.

They were so thrilled to still have me (though my self-worth doesn't really allow people to feel that way) and couldn't believe I was, to them, daring to be dead of my own accord.

Like most of us, my fun can still be, even indirectly, at someone else's expense. It may not ever be an issue for some of them, until that one time, just that one.

So, I wish you the most sincere best of luck--from one who has pushed that luck well past its limits, to another.

And I stopped smoking 2 months ago. I'm not happy at all, so don't anybody f--k with me, OK?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters