Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Receivers and the M60...personal view (for CAV)
#3501 06/07/02 08:30 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
In recently buying the Onkyo 797 receiver, it would be nice to say i've heard better for cheaper but frankly, i have not.
The receiver cost me a pretty penny but so far has been quite worth it.

The 6.1 channel surround, 7.1 capable with an external amp and the secondary room setup were big draws for me.
Second to that was the Onkyo reputation for quality receivers and sound.

Offhand I can't remember some of the other receivers i did my comparison shopping against (although i can dig it up if anyone is REALLY interested), but my simple opinion is that the Onkyo, paired with the M60s and tested with 2 cd players (a third comparison with a Panasonic dvd cv51 is coming after tonight), sounds absolutely smooth. The Denon cd player kicked the hell outta the old Technics cd player so badly that even my hamster could tell the difference.

There is no better way to describe the sound from the Onkyo but clear and smooth. The power output was plenty for driving the M60s and my other old speakers. That always helps to keep away from those potential upper volume ranges hitting distortion.
Absolutely distinct vocals, subtle background noises without any audible hissing (cd player dependant as well) and really clean mid notes with moderate bass (while using the M60s).

Maybe it's because i've never had a truly quality receiver before but when i paired the Onkyo with my old Technics speakers even they took off and produced sounds that never previously existed.
The m60s however blew the doors off ANYTHING i've heard before (which includes past owned/roomate owned Sound Dynamics, Paradigm, Yamaha, JBL and one or two other Future shoppy names like Bose and Polk). The Angstrom Modular speakers also were incredibly smooth with the Onkyo receiver and i would recommend them as well (but the finish is not nearly as nice and with only 2 options).
I also auditioned B&W 603 series and considered Monitor Audio Silver series but backed away cuz the price.

I'm still working on getting the placement right for the M60s in my basement but i haven't had much time yet to tweak with it. Heck, i still have yet to solder on my banana plugs.

Bottom line, the Onkyo DS797 (or for that matter similar models like 898 and 989) really make the M60s shine for all they are worth.
Avoid the Pioneers! They melt eggs.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: Receivers and the M60...personal view (for CAV)
#3502 06/14/02 01:09 AM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
Out of curiosity, have you auditioned the Arcam receivers? They're quite reasonably priced (I'm sure "street price" for the AVR100 is about $800 US). I was all set to pick up the Denon 3802, but it sounded like pure junk next to the Arcam.

I haven't listened to many Onkyo products...how does Onkyo fare against Denon and Yamaha?

Last edited by fhw; 06/14/02 01:14 AM.
Re: Receivers and the M60...personal view (for CAV
#3503 06/14/02 02:16 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Unfortunately my time was kind of limited so i did not have the opportunity to auditon Arcam.
However, the Yamaha and Denons i've heard lead me to believe they both manufacture good quality receivers.
The Onkyo had more options than any Yamaha and just the options i was looking for compared to the Denons, but just above my price range until i snagged this great deal.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters