#350613 06/20/11 10:00 PM
G
GrnCdn Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
G
Got another question for anyone who's nice enough to school me. smile

I got a vintage Marantz 2235B receiver for my 2.0 stereo setup. Will likely be purchasing an EP350 sub for it, and will need to use the RCA pre-amp out connections and a Y-cable to connect to the subwoofer's 1/4" phone-input, as my receiver has no other subwoofer outputs (and i doubt high/speaker-level output would be preferable).

Here are my questions:

1. What knobs on my receiver (volume and/or bass/mid/treble), if any, will affect/control my subwoofer? Or as I turn up the volume on the receiver, will I need to turn up the volume on the subwoofer to match?

2. If the bass control knob on my receiver DOESN'T affect the subwoofer, i think that'd be GOOD thing, right? Then I'd have an easier time blending my M3 speaker bass with the EP350 which only has 80Hz and 150Hz cross-over settings. At 80Hz on the subwoofer, perhaps it would be optimal to surpress the bass setting a little on the M3s?

Thoughts, anyone?

Re: Pre-amp Out to Sub: Receiver Adjustments
GrnCdn #350614 06/20/11 10:02 PM
shareholder in the making
1. No, it won't, and yes, you will.
2. Nah, I'd leave 'em alone.

OK, all the rest of you lurking Marantz owners, I know you're there. You might as well come out now. <points flashlight into the virtual bushes>

Last edited by Ken.C; 06/20/11 10:03 PM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #350615 06/20/11 10:07 PM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C

OK, all the rest of you lurking Marantz owners, I know you're there. You might as well come out now. <points flashlight into the virtual bushes>

::and accidently sees someones' Sher-Wood and NADs while they're trying to make little Harmons with Karman::

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
GrnCdn #350619 06/21/11 02:42 AM
Okay, now I see that after replying to your other thread that you did have more questions. Keep in mind that since your 2235 doesn't have a separate output for low frequencies to the sub, it's going to be sending the same signals to the sub as go to the main speakers. Therefore the same controls which affect the signals to the mains have to affect the same ones when they go to the sub. The bass/mid/treble tone controls do this, although of course the mid and treble won't make a meaningful effect on the low bass frequencies which the sub will play. Likewise, when you increase the volume to the mains this simultaneously increases the volume to the sub, so there's no need to change the volume control on the back of the sub.

This makes your question 2. pretty much moot, but as I said in your other thread, the 80Hz setting on the sub would provide a reasonably good blend with the M3s, so it shouldn't be a major concern.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

GrnCdn #350621 06/21/11 03:21 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: GrnCdn
will need to use the RCA pre-amp out connections and a Y-cable to connect to the subwoofer's 1/4" phone-input

You don't want to Y the left and right channels together. That's actually causing one channel's output to feed back into the other.

You'll need to find a line-level summing box. Something that's designed to mix two channels together without allowing them to feed back.

EDIT: I saw John mentioned the same thing in the other thread.

Last edited by ClubNeon; 06/21/11 03:24 AM.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #350628 06/21/11 03:48 AM
G
GrnCdn Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
G
Hi John,

So... about the volume and bass/mid/treble knobs on my receiver, while the subwoofer is attached to the receiver's pre-amp outputs, you are disagreeing with what Ken said earlier, is that right? You're saying that they WILL affect the subwoofer and M3 speakers simultaneously, is that right?

About the Y cable... thanks for catching that, clubNeon (and John in my parrellel thread)! I already ordered a coaxial sub-cable with matching Y-adapter... should arrive any day now. At least I should still be able to make use of the main length of it, without the Y adapter. I'll have to look into that line-level summing box... but sounds like it could be pricier than I'd hoped just to make a darn connection! lol On that note, what about this...

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?p=3928377#post3928377

It's a link to a year old thread of mine, regarding the stereo-Phone output of my Marantz (does NOT silence the speakers when used!) It's connected to my 'computer' subwoofer (which is why I'm upgrading!), currently. One receiver output, one subwoofer input - job done! Is that JUST as good as using the pre-amp outputs (with summing box) to the subwoofer's 1/4" Phone? All I'd need is another adapter from RCA to Phone for the Marantz end of the cable if that's the case! Those common to find at The Source or wherever?

Thanks for all the help from each of you!

GrnCdn #350632 06/21/11 04:10 AM
Yes, that's right. It doesn't make any difference where the signals go to after they leave the 2235; they've already been processed by the tone controls, volume control, etc.

Again, the simplest thing is to just make the speaker wire connection; there's no disadvantage in doing so with the equipment you have. You could use just the one coaxial cable from either the left or right channel, but there's some possibility that a part of the bass from the other channel wouldn't be used, even though there's very little "stereo bass" in recordings and the sub frequencies are essentially non-directional.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

GrnCdn #350633 06/21/11 04:14 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Using a mono 1/4" plug into a stereo jack still is shorting the two channels together. I actually blew the left channel out of an old sound card plugging a mono headset into it. But other headphone circuits are more forgiving. So it could work (the Y on the RCA could also work), but electrically it's still not the right thing to do.

Most music has the low bass mixed in mono, so driving your sub from just the left RCA will still get you most of the bass information. Then you can get a second sub and run it from the right. smile (Or the summing box.)

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #350646 06/21/11 10:33 AM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
if you were to buy a sub with hi level inputs and outputs, that would be ideal (and simple) in your case, but the EP350 only has hi level inputs.

J. B. #350651 06/21/11 11:57 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh contraire, I have EP350 and it has both high and low level inputs.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (fonthillbilly), 235 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup