Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Behind The Recording - Third Eye Blind
#352771 08/04/11 01:53 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Over the years I have always held Third Eye Blinds self-titled album near and dear to my heart as one of the best engineered and produced pop rock recordings.

While doing some research on this album, I came across some cool information by Eric Valentine, the studio engineer behind this album discussing philosophy, recording process, equipment, mic techniques etc. Here is just a tiny spoiler. Its a really good read!

"The microphones in the water was done for the song The Background. The drums for that song were recorded at Skywalker Ranch along with (God Of Wine, Good For You, London and Jumper). I actually used Large plastic Garbage cans. put SM57s inside condoms and lowered them about 6" into the water. I definitely used the under water mics in the final drum mix."

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-eric-va...-valentine.html

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-eric-valentine/415451-lets-talk-drums-semi-charmed-life.html

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Re: Behind The Recording - Third Eye Blind
BlueJays1 #352775 08/04/11 05:08 PM
buff
buff
Interesting stuff - it is amazing how a recording is done and how the musician hears the sound they want in their head and how they express to the engineer what they are after - good read

Brent Tombari
Axiom Audio Expert
Brent #352781 08/04/11 08:58 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
That's the beauty of this album is the ability of both the artist and engineer to convey emotion to the listener. The funny thing is the only reason I listened to this album is because of Columbia House back in the day in the 90's...lol. They sent me this CD automatically in the mail and forgot to return it...I had no intention of keeping it. A few songs were all over the radio at the time and that genre wasn't my cup of tea. But I was in for a surprise when I was stuck with owning it and decided to listen to the entire album for the first time.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #352904 08/10/11 04:34 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Very intersting, thanks for those links.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #352919 08/10/11 03:20 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Here is some more commentary on this epic album Mr. Valentine.

Originally Posted By: ev33
I don't think it really struck me that way at the time. I was using all of the techniques I had been using on other recordings I had done for years leading up to that. The one thing that was unique at that time was that the 3EB album was a cool opportunity for me to have a full on, no compromises, spare no expense, do everything the best possible theoretical way type experience. The only other time I had that opportunity previous to that was the T-Ride album. Stephan and I agreed that the overall approach should be a totally un apologetic super hifi as good as we can get everything to sound type approach. There was some records at the time that were starting to embrace a more intentional lofi approach and we wanted to do the opposite of that. I put together my dream setup for everything and figured out how to make it work with the budget. We recorded at 3 different studios HOS, Toast and Skywalker Ranch. I rented special Wire World Gold mic cables for all the drums. I had a rack of 10 Neve 1081s sitting right next to the drummer for all of the drum recordings. we rented C12s and 251s and anything else we might need to make the record as sonically spectacular as possible. All the drums, bass and main ryth guitar were recorded on my Ampex MM1200 2" 16 trk. We actually brought that machine with us every where we recorded. We used the best high level tape available 3M 996. The tape alone on that project probably cost close to $10K. It really was pretty extravagant. The band had a healthy budget so the opportunity was there and we went for it. It was really fun.

Sadly, I fear that kind of record making experience is becoming increasingly rare. It is one of the unintended consequences that I think music consumers haven't really thought about when they devalue music recordings by acquiring and sharing them for free. When music recordings lose their value, so do does the recording process and the opportunities to push it forward as an artform become difficult for record companies to justify. I can honestly say that if 3EB came to me today as a new band to make a record and I didn't have Barefoot Recording at my disposal, there is no way we could have the record making experience I just described. The resources just ain't there.

Quote:
As well, did you have any discussions with yourself or the band on the exact reverb decays for the album to keep that same space throughout?

The reverb approach on the album was a reflection of how I was hearing things at that time. I was coming out of an era of trying to have everything sound dramatic and epic with big sweeping reverbs on them and starting to try and have the reverbs be more discrete and sound more like they are a natural part of the original sound. On that project I didn't want the reverb to sound like reverb patches as much as just natural spaces that sounded more organic to overall picture. I didn't want anyone to listen to the record and think "hey listen to that reverb patch". The reverbs should blend in and not draw attention to them selves, just make everything sound like it all fits together better. I tried to only put as much as I needed on the vocal to make the voice sound like it is part of the music and not just hanging out there in front of the band.

EV

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/q-eric-va...-sound-3eb.html

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #371042 03/26/12 02:49 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I'm totally obsessed with this album. It gets even better when the summer starts approaching...

Sounds sooooooooooo good.

Right now listening to this album on a pair of Beyerdynamic DT880's (600 ohm), through a OTL tube amp with the trusty Sansa Clip+ (FLAC) as the source.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #373907 04/21/12 08:26 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The rimshot at the end of Jumper is soooooooooo EPIC! Semi-charmed drums with pure awesomeness before that...just pure ear candy...

-Max Payne

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters