Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Lighting behind the TV
#353113 08/15/11 03:59 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Where does one buy the colored lighting some have behind thier TV's when watching movies? What seems to be most common color that isnt too hard on the eyes when watching a movie? Is there a certain wattage one should get or stay away from? (ie... too bright or too dark )

Thanks

Re: Lighting behind the TV
72mustang #353115 08/15/11 04:31 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Some of the TVs that came with (not sure if they still have them) the indirect lighting built in to the back of the TV would actually adjust the color displayed based off of what you were watching.

I know that there are some companies out there that make home theater backlighting products, but one that is gaining popularity (although probably more for a "bling" factor) is from Cyron. They have a number of products and are pretty inexpensive. I've heard good things about them. You can search for them online and watch YouTube videos, or buy a bunch of items from places like Amazon. I stumbled across them by pure chance at a local Lowes home improvement store.

Here is a link for you:
Cyron LED Accent Lighting

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #353117 08/15/11 04:50 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I bought an Ideal Lume for my inlaws years ago but never actually installed it. I'm considering using it w/ my new VT30 when I have it ISF calibrated. Fortunately, I put in a separate power outlet for it that is switch controlled so I could turn it off/on w/ an IR remote.

http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lumesb.htm

oldskoolboarder #353118 08/15/11 11:17 AM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
I've been using the Ideal Lume for many years now; there is lots of info about "bias lighting" on the company's site.
their fluorescents give off light at 6500K, which is the color temp at which TV's are calibrated.
this kind of lighting is used in tv studios as reference lighting for quality monitoring.

if one uses lighting of another color, it will bias the colors as perceived on the screen to another color temp and falsify the tv's colors.
(not very easy for me to explain clearly now, hope you understand).

a major benefit of using bias lighting is that one is not blinded by a bright tv screen in a dark room, it's not fatiguing to the eyes.

some info can be found here: http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm

J. B. #353121 08/15/11 11:59 AM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
there is a thread specifically about this bias lighting in AV Science forum:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=451527

J. B. #353123 08/15/11 02:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'll post these images again. They were shot under different lighting, and telling the camera to white balance to the surrounding environment, much as the human eye would. No other changes were made. Manual exposure was used, so every shot should be as close to the same as possible, except for the white balance value.

This first one is with normal, over-head room light.

This second one is with all the lights out (white balance it based on what's on the screen).

The last is with the Ideal Lume bias light.

It's probably easiest to see the differences by opening each of the images in different tabs, and flipping back and forth between them.

Here are the raw links to make that easier.
http://clubneon.com/images/bias_light-01.jpg
http://clubneon.com/images/bias_light-02.jpg
http://clubneon.com/images/bias_light-03.jpg

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
J. B. #353124 08/15/11 02:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi all,

This subject of "bias lighting" is peculiar. In my judgement, other than the "bling factor", it's totally unnecessary if you adjust the screen brightness properly to suit the viewing conditions.

There's nothing "hard on the eyes" about viewing television or video display images, unless they are in 3D. Do you want "bias lighting" when you go to a movie theater?

I worked in TV professionally, and all control rooms are dark, as are professional screening rooms. Images look their best in dark or nearly dark rooms. Of course, if you run your display or projector in a salesroom "torch mode" (maximum brightness), then I suppose that might cause some type of viewing fatigue, but all modern displays and projectors have "cinema" settings that have much lower brightness than the torch modes used in bright showrooms.

Save your money and simply use the "cinema" setting on your video display and calibrate the image for ideal viewing in a dark or dimly lit room.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
alan #353128 08/15/11 03:53 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
I would totally concur with Alan on this one. Provided you have your monitor calibrated within reason and the contrast not jacked up too high(like in the retailers), moderate lighting will more than suffice. I have a lamp with a 25 watt bulb elevated on top of and slightly behind my monitor and it comes pretty close to what Joe Kane and the DVE BR disc indicate what is appropriate lighting for the best viewing experience during the evening.

casey01 #353131 08/15/11 04:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My wife doesn't like watching movies in the dark. I purchased the Ideal Lume from cinemaquest and we like it. Provides some light without any direct glare like a lamp might. I can't say how it impacts the contrast as I have never really done a detailed comparison.

-David
terzaghi #353135 08/15/11 05:13 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I use a little Tiffany lamp, like this one that sits on top of my subwoofer, only a much cheaper one from Target. It's off to the side of the room, so no reflections and is easy on the eyes. With a 15 watt bulb, it lights up the room about just the right amount. Just something else to consider.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters