Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
lol...even Ray-Ban manufacturers in China...
#353170 08/15/11 11:13 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
at least shifted to China on some of their models. laugh I assume this happened within the last few years?

I just assumed all their products were made in Italy and every pair I have seen has been. I needed some polarized sunglasses and love the look of the Aviator series (Cockpit). I purchased them from Sunglass Hut which is an authorized dealer of Ray-Ban among others. I really never looked at the markings closely inside the store but when I took them home to my surprise they say made in China.

Learn something new everyday about the "economics" of business. LOL

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
Re: lol...even Ray-Ban manufacturers in China...
BlueJays1 #353191 08/16/11 03:10 PM
veteran
veteran
Yeah Luxottica, the parent company of Ray Ban, has one factory in Italy and one in China. So certain models are now made in China. It is their own factory though, so it's not just random outsourcing.

On the China note, my friend's father works for a company that installs giant machine belts, and he's been in China for the last few years going non-stop to oversee factory after factory be set up. My friend visited him, and said the scene is something out of Bladerunner. It's just endless factories and smoke stacks reaching out just as far as the eye can see, and beyond that is the outline of cranes, building new factories.

At some point the current trend of sending all the world's cash and capital to China in exchange for plastic back-scratchers is going to seem like an unwise one.

Craig_P #353195 08/16/11 04:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Craig_P
At some point the current trend of sending all the world's cash and capital to China in exchange for plastic back-scratchers is going to seem like an unwise one.

Yeah, I think it works something like this :

There should probably be a few additional transient bumps in "jobs & money" and "effective standard of living" corresponding to various financial and market bubbles along the way, but I only wanted to invest a few seconds in drawing this wink

Last edited by bridgman; 08/16/11 05:13 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
Craig_P #353198 08/16/11 05:30 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Craig_P
Yeah Luxottica, the parent company of Ray Ban, has one factory in Italy and one in China. So certain models are now made in China. It is their own factory though, so it's not just random outsourcing.

On the China note, my friend's father works for a company that installs giant machine belts, and he's been in China for the last few years going non-stop to oversee factory after factory be set up. My friend visited him, and said the scene is something out of Bladerunner. It's just endless factories and smoke stacks reaching out just as far as the eye can see, and beyond that is the outline of cranes, building new factories.

I was doing some research on Luxottica last night and came across that same information regarding their factories in Italy and China. They say they have full control of the China factory which is the up most importance. As I can tell from my made in China Ray-Bans the quality is still the same which is excellent. The RB3362 is noted to be one of those made over there. I am still under the impression most are still made in Italy.

I'm not concerned over quality issues with made in China goods from companies that know what they are doing but it's a shame that the once great pride we had in building the best manufactured products in the world built to the highest of standards has gone down the toilet. Now the key question is how cheaply can we manufacturer our products?

Not to mention the movement of capital and jobs, the US at the end of the day are also deep in debt in their pockets. They have North America by the balls.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters