Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Anyone else send their first kid to college?
ScottA #353653 08/27/11 01:18 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: ScottA
Taking our one and only tomorrow. Mom and Dad are dreading it. We are very close and it will be difficult for all of us. However, I am excited for her to start this part of her life. She is a Pre-Med major and luckily she got a scholarship(Lilly Endowmet)that pays for all 4 years of undergraduate, so we do not have to worry about the $37,000 per year price tag.

Wow, she must have gotten some seriously good grades!!

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #353684 08/28/11 09:52 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Based on what I've seen locally, she was probably in the top 4 or the top of her class. Both of the graduation ceremonies we went to, it seemed like a winner-takes-all deal. The rest of the scholarships were (small) fractions of full ride. My kid had a 4.3 GPA and only qualified for the state's tuition program and a scholarship from the company I work for. Both of which will continue to be merit based; he has to maintain a 3.0 to keep the funding.

Of note is his biology class, which has 900 students! He's already figured out that he needs to get an aisle seat by the door if he want to make his next class on time. The first day of class it took him 12 minutes to get out of the lecture hall.

Scott

My HT
a401classic #353700 08/28/11 05:25 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Holy cow. One really has to want an education.

CV #353720 08/29/11 12:46 AM
S
veteran
veteran
S
Very good student, but also a veryy well rounded kid. In Indiana, Eli Lilly (Indiana based business) gives a full tuition scholarship to any 4 year school. However, the school has to be in Indiana. They give out about 50 scholarships statewide each year.

My daughter is a very good student, but also very involved in extracurricular activities plus very involved in the community. These factors as well as an essay helped her secure the scholarship.

We are very fortunate she received such an honor. Also very, very proud of her.

We dropped her off at school yesterday and I have been pretty miserable since. She is our only child and it is very difficult, because we genuinely love being around each other. I know, pretty unusual for a teenager, but very true.

ScottA #353728 08/29/11 02:29 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: ScottA
Very good student, but also a veryy well rounded kid. In Indiana, Eli Lilly (Indiana based business) gives a full tuition scholarship to any 4 year school. However, the school has to be in Indiana. They give out about 50 scholarships statewide each year.

My daughter is a very good student, but also very involved in extracurricular activities plus very involved in the community. These factors as well as an essay helped her secure the scholarship.

We are very fortunate she received such an honor. Also very, very proud of her.

We dropped her off at school yesterday and I have been pretty miserable since. She is our only child and it is very difficult, because we genuinely love being around each other. I know, pretty unusual for a teenager, but very true.

I was pretty bad the first 2 weeks. After that, it began to feel a little like being on vacation. No activities to cover, no places I "had" to be....

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters