Page 1 of 2 1 2
Cables and power bar
#35384 02/29/04 12:21 AM
R
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
R
I'm in the process of purchasing cable for my HT I'm putting together and I need some advice. I have a Hitachi 57" HDTV, Yamaha HTD5650 5.1 surround and am going to get Axiom m22,QS8's and VP100. Looking at the HSU STF-2 sub.

Any recommendations on cables and power bar? I know Monster manufactures some but I've heard they are pricey for the quality. Any suggestions on cables or comments on the speakers i'm about to order.

Great message board and thanks for reading.

Rick N.

Re: Cables and power bar
#35385 02/29/04 01:07 AM
shareholder in the making
Rick, the speakers should please you, but as I often do, I'd suggest that you consider a vertical M2 for your center speaker, to please you even more.

As to the "power bar", if what you have in mind might be something you've read about "clean power", forget it, it's pure hogwash. Engineers who design amplifiers are fully aware of the power supply which will be used and any competently designed amp will have DC leaving its power supply section with inaudibly low noise, following the processing by the filter capacitors there.

As to wire and cables, speaker wire of an appropriate gauge(16 to 12, depending on the length of the run)should cost about 10-30 cents a foot at places such as Home Depot or online sellers. Interconnecting cables that didn't come with the components can be bought at reasonable prices at many places, such as the Dayton cables Parts Express sells. This again is an area full of charlatans looking to rip-off the gullible.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#35386 02/29/04 04:50 AM
veteran
veteran
Based on what I've heard- I don't recall the source, so take it accordingly- frequent brownouts, line dips, spikes, etc. (basically, having bad power) are, as John said, audibly insignificant. They can, however, shorten the lifespan of power supplies drawing power from them.

Essentially, I see the point of a line conditioner as not to clean up an audio signal but to relieve stress on my amp's power supply- stress that would make it die sooner.

My 2 cents-
Mike

#35387 02/29/04 05:50 AM
As an add on to that, that means that you don't have to buy an audio-targeted line conditioner; a computer UPS or line conditioner would be just fine. Or even a halfway decent surge protector.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#35388 02/29/04 04:13 PM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
Rick,

John is right about the suspect merits of the various ways to spend money in this area. I did alot of research about power conditioners and it appears to be somewhat of a con game.

The one area I was concened about was power spikes and lightning. Simply put, a little non-fry protection sounded pretty good based on what I had spent on HT equipment.

With that in mind, I ended up buying a Monster Price Model 1100 Surge Protector. I got it for three reasons. First, it is rated to protect against spikes/strikes around 2700-2900 joules, which is about the highest rating I found. Second, I liked the way it looked and it was configured such that I could hang it on the back of my entertainment center (& off the floor).

Here's the 3rd, and most important, reason. This unit normally sells for $200. Apparently a local store had realized that Monster Ripoff , Inc. was selling marketing sizzle at a price WAY, WAY beyond reasonable and was closing the line out. I got the thing for $60 (still too expensive).

Having said all of that, if you want to get some surge protection, Home Depot has these things, rated at 2700-2900 joules, a really reasonable prices. You REALLY don't need to spend alot of money on this. Oh yeah - the Home Depot protector will also "clean" your power for you as well as anything else.

Damn, I HATE dirty power.

#35389 02/29/04 04:20 PM
R
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
R
Thank you all for help clearing this up. You've saved me a lot of time and $$$$$. I wish I could by all a beer!

Rick

#35390 03/01/04 07:39 PM
local
local
I'm surprised by the responses here. I would have thought that having a filtered source of power makes good sense. The theory is fairly well respected on the AVS forum. I'm not recommending spending $1000's for line conditioners, but to suggest someone could pick up a $9 power strip or even worse just plug thousands of dollars of A/V equipment right into the wall seems like equally rash advice.

Judging from the surges in electricity I see around my apartment as I turn things on or off and/or plug them in I'd feel better if I had a "cleaner" source of power.

However I'm not an electrical engineer so I'll stay out of it. Just a bit surprised.

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
#35391 03/01/04 08:43 PM
veteran
veteran
Ah, the AVS forum.

It certainly depends on your amp's power supply, but I think the point is that a modern amp's power supply is itself designed to turn bad power into good power. Hence it's less an issue of audio quality as equipment longevity.

We're not suggesting plugging in thousands of dollars of A/V equipment into crappy power, but for different reasons than the AVS folks.

If folks have evidence to the contrary please chime in.

#35392 03/01/04 09:07 PM
local
local
Yes, I'm certainly not claiming all AVS info is valid or reliable.

And I don't disagree with your opinion. When my tv bzzts because of poor power I don't worry about the picture..I worry about it "dying". So I guess we're pretty much on the same page. I just was worried that people might get the impression they shouldn't use anything to protect their gear. I wouldn't think that's sound advice for any electronics.

Thanks for clarifying! Your rational will result in me buying a much less expensive powersupply so it's sound advice.

-Nick

My M60's make me listen
My M80's make my ears hear
Either way - I'm not deaf anymore
#35393 03/02/04 12:04 AM
veteran
veteran
Glad we're on the same page- and I wholeheartedly agree as you say that one should protect their gear from bad power.

Cheers,
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,046 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup