Print Thread
Rate Thread
Stereo CDs: listing mode(s)?
#35410 02/29/04 05:44 AM
rjones Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
I'm sure many of you have strong opinions about this subject, and I'm interested to hear all of them. :-)

I have a new Axiom setup (M22s, VP100, QS4s) with a HSU STF-2 and an H/K AVR-230. I'm amazed by HT, but still trying to find the ideal settings for music.

First, let me make it clear that this system sounds fantastic--even set to plain-old stereo. But, I want more! The best-sounding two-speaker mode on the H/K is the "VMAX near". The manual says to use this only if sitting within 5' of the speakers, but I'm 10' away, and it sounds much better than "VMAX far".

Then, there are the many other modes: two or three Dolby modes, the "NEO" modes, and H/K's own "Logic 7" mode. If I switch to any of them from the "VMAX near" mode, the sound seems kind of "cave-ish"--like the speakers are each in a hole somewhere. I like the Logic 7 the best, but my perception is that too much sound is coming out of the center speaker and not enough about the surrounds.

I'm fairly confused at this point. Any help will be appreciated.

DVD-A vs. DVD-A DD5.1 vs. DVD-A stereo vs. CD
#35411 02/29/04 07:02 AM
axiomite
axiomite
A quick review this evening.
Two listeners, same as before in the speaker auditions, took a look at a single DVD-A disc (REM: Automatic for the People) and the sound produce when listening to a DVD-A in 5.1 high res surround, or with just direct (still high res) and with DPLII:Music or with the standard DD 5.1 track, or with the original CD version in direct mode and DPLII:Music.
Thoughts and results to come.

As for the thread, not to hijack it any:
rjones, usually there are settings in your receiver such that you can change parameters for each DSP being used. Check to see if you can change the 'width' of the soundstage while using Logic 7 from the centre channel.
It will be in your receiver settings somewhere. Peruse your manual again on this subject.

Personally i find DPLII for Music to be very good overall but since i've got into DVD-audio discs, there is no comparison.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Re: Stereo CDs: listing mode(s)?
#35412 02/29/04 07:48 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
rjones, I have M22's vp150 and qs8's svs 22-36 with an HK avr-325, I used to listen to music mostly in 2 channel mode, but resently started listening to alot more in dolby PLII music. On your L7 mode are you using L7 music, cinema or enhanced. But to me I think PLII music seems just a little fuller then L7 music.

Also within your settings for the HK are you using global or independant for the bass management.

metier

Last edited by metier; 02/29/04 07:56 AM.

vp150 m22ti's qs8's hk avr325 svs 25-31pci @22hz
#35413 02/29/04 03:30 PM
local
local
For stereo material, how well L7 or PLII reconstructs surround is highly variable depending on the recording. For some it works great, for others not so well.

On my RX-V1400 PLII music has settings for sound stage width, and front/rear balance (dimension, panorama). Don't know about L7. Check your manual. On my receiver, setting PLII width too narrow causes too much music from the center when in PLII music mode.

There are other DSP modes that often can produce an echoey, hollow effect. Make sure you don't have these accidentally enabled.

L7 and PLII are nice features and better than nothing. However you should try some DVD-A discs to sample true discrete surround. The DD 5.1 soundtrack of them will play on most DVD players. Even here there's wide variation in surround, but it's not due to L7/PLII decoding vageries, but due to how the engineer mixed the album. Some do a good job, some use very little surround, others use excessive, artificial surround. Two of the best examples of good surround are Eagles - Hotel California and Fleetwood Mac - Rumours. There are other good examples on SACD, but you need a specialized or universal player for that. Trying a few DVD-As on your DVD player can give you an idea whether it's worth pursuing.

#35414 02/29/04 05:06 PM
rjones Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
I'm using global bass management. Is this the right or wrong thing to do?

I also have the receiver set up to the out-of-the-box default of crossover for all speakers at 100Hz. Perhaps I should adjust it per speaker based on the Axiom specs?

#35415 02/29/04 11:31 PM
local
local
Maybe an H/K owner could comment on the global bass thing, and VMAX modes. 100Hz crossover is OK as a 1st approximation. Depending on your speakers, sub, room acoustics, etc, somewhat lower might be better.

I've got M60/VP150/QS8 and Hsu VTF-3R and use a 80Hz crossover for most music and HT. I have to use a 120Hz crossover for SACD, since it's fixed by the player. I can't tell much difference.

Good, well-mixed albums sound great and poorly mixed albums sound bad. With good speakers like Axiom it's just amazing how quickly you're limited by the mix and master quality of the source material.

#35416 03/01/04 02:00 AM
devotee
devotee
My favorite mode is called "Pure Audio". The stereo signal goes directly from the DAC's to the power amp without any processing. No sub, no center, no surrounds, no tone controls. That sounds best to me. THX:Neo Cinema sounds next best to me. I haven't heard the newest Dolby Pro Logic yet.

Mark

"Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff"

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020