Print Thread
Rate Thread
M22 and power input- advice needed - kinda long
#35428 02/29/04 02:34 PM
Rontech Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
After much lurking and reading I purchased a set of M22 Axiom speakers. Awesome sounding speakers and I am quite satisfied with them. I was using an Onkyo HTIB and found myself listening to music 95% of the time so I decided to go to just a stereo setup. I came across a deal on some vintage NAD equip that was too good to pass up. It consists of a NAD 1300 preamp, Nad 4225 tuner and 2 nad 2400 amps.
Link http://207.228.230.231/info/NAD_2400.pdf
The amps are 200w/amp in bridged mode with the " soft clipping" technology. As I hooked this all up last night and tested it in the bridged mode, I found that it made the m22's sound even better than they did before. Much cleaner and clearer than before and also MUCH louder than I would ever have the use for. However, on a dynamic passage at a conservative listening level I am somewhat concerned of the headroom that the amp can deliver into the speakers. The product manual in the link above lists 800 watts as the rating instantaneous, with an overload or clipping indicator on the front panel that will alert me that it is overdriven. I will be taking the amps to a repair center to have them tested and be sure that they are within specs and everything is functioning correctly.
So, my question is, will this damage the m22's if by any chance that it does get this amount of wattage delivered to the speaker? Not on a constant level, just on a dynamic?
By the way, just by reading on these boards I have learned so much and found this one of the friendliest boards to use. Even set it as my home page. Thanks in advance for you time on this.
Ron

Re: M22 and power input- advice needed - kinda long
#35429 02/29/04 03:56 PM
veteran
veteran
Rontech,

That sounds like a great setup.

I wouldn't worry about the power issue at all. 800 watts sounds like a lot of power, but
1. It'd only be for a split second, and
2. Better 'too much' power than 'not enough' power, as far as preventing damage goes.

Axioms are pretty rugged as far as how much power they can take, and their 'power ratings' are rather conservative- there was a link floating around a while ago about how the M80s were tested with 1200 watts/channel (that's continuous!) over a 24-hour period, IIRC. This is just a guess, but with a 200w/ch amp I think you'd drive it into clipping before you'd overload your m22s.

Re: M22 and power input- advice needed - kinda long
#35430 03/01/04 02:37 AM
Rontech Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Raindance,
Thanks for the reassurance. I suspected it would be allright, but thought asking would be a better method than home experimentation. May just dig around for the post about the M80's. Interesting that they would handle that much input without damage.
Thanks again.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters