Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Squeezebox - Network topology and data scrubbing
tomtuttle #354478 09/11/11 12:54 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Hi-ya Tom –

I’ll tell you what I have, and what I do. I’m not advocating it or suggesting you do the same, but you’ll at least have one more data point to reference.

A few back (three??) I decided to rip my CD collection after giving up on the Mega-changers (1200 – 1500 CD’s, and what a bitch that was). I think you recall all we did with those damn silly things….

So firstly, I screwed up ripping when I first started. I started out being cheap and used EAC. After several hundred later, I found out just how hard it is to properly tag and collect album art - after the fact. I then moved over to DB Power amp. Sure wish I would have started with this as it collects album art and does a fairly good job with tagging. It also levels playback DB levels. It also has a dual rip function for ripping two formats simultaneously. (I use FLAC for the home system and MP3 for my I Pod that resides in my vehicle).

I did not want my home PC running all the time and I do not like any other sort of software on my home PC that I can not easily move to another PC every two years or so. I like to keep it for work related stuff, like CAD. So…I ripped everything to an HP Media Server. I installed Squeezebox Server on the HP. The server runs all the time and I also use it to back up my other PC’s and external hard drives. I have it partitioned as well in the event I loose one of the drives. You can stuff four drives into the thing and I believe you can get 2T drives. I have four 1T drives and they are more than enough for me.

When this system works, it is brilliant and I’m happy.

It doesn’t work all the time and I’m often agitated.

The squeezebox software is a memory hog and the server often freezes to the point that I need to perform the good ol’ “hard re-boot” by use of the power button.

The stinking rotting squeeze box player often has to be reset to factory defaults in order for it to re-connect to my network. This happens just about every time we have a power outage (which is often). I’m sure I am partially to blame, as my patience with network issues is very low and I just don’t want to screw with it to find out what might be configured incorrectly, but I do know for certain that the stinking rotting SB player does not reconnect when just about everything else in the house does. I’m blaming the SB Player.

I should also note that I am using the SB Duet and the Touch may be more reliable. I’ve been pondering what to do next before I move to the Touch, or some other method to listen to my digital library, as well as Pandora and Rhapsody.

michael_d #354488 09/11/11 05:39 AM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Thank you, Mike.

Yes, I definitely recall the ripping/storage discussions. And I, too, abandoned the megachangers.

I'm surprised about the memory-hogitude and also about the network reconnection problems. Are you using a wired or wireless connection for the SB?

I like your approach, and I'll probably do something similar. However, I'll almost certainly cobble something together using existing or reconfigured system components rather than buy a new, dedicated server.

Pity about the stinking rotting. But I just don't see any approaches that look "better" to me at the moment.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #354493 09/11/11 02:47 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Tom I have tried using both wired and wireless player connections. I have about the same luck with either configuration. If you cruise the squeeze box forums, and do search on "connection issues", or something to that effect, you'll see dozens of threads. It is a common problem with the Duet. I really hope the Touch does not share these issues, because I absolutely love the stinking rotting thing WHEN IT WORKS. It's a terrific concept and there's nothing cooler than searching for songs on Rhapsody with a bunch of drunk reminiscing friends (I adore Rhapsody). But....when it starts acting up, the fun turns to frustration.

michael_d #354494 09/11/11 03:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mike I'm wondering if that is an issue primarily with the Duet. I've never had problems with either my Classic or Touch and like you we have our share of power outages here in south Florida.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #354557 09/12/11 03:36 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
That's good to know Rick, thanks!

michael_d #354697 09/13/11 08:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Damn, I'm late to a Sqeezebox discussion but I'm glad to see all your questions getting answered. Stupid vacations. Umm Wait!!

Mike, I never have to reboot my SB server either. If I do, it's likely I did something experimental stupid and had to reboot the whole PC. My Classic player does require a manual reconnect after a power bump though. No biggie though, just keep hitting the right arrow button on the remote a few times until it reconnects.

I'm pretty meticulous with my tags but I still find discrepancies now and then. "MP3Tag" is a great tool for identifying and fixing discrepancies. It will let you view as many folders and subfolders together as you want so you can do mass changes where you have made a mistake just for certain albums.

For instance, you notice you have two Artist listings for "The Tragically Hip" because you forgot the "The" for a single album when you ripped it. Choose your "The Tragically Hip" folder and you will also see all sub-folders. You could visually scan for the discrepancy and fix but just highlight them all, re-enter the band name and then all albums are now automatically now the same.

Then you can automatically, in one step, rename all of the file names with the new, proper artist name so they will be fixed as well.

It also allows you to save multiple default file naming creation styles so you can name your files differently for classical, for instance.

It also let me add new tags for things like Composer which also helped me to better organize classical which gets much more complex.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #354698 09/13/11 08:19 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Thanks, Murph! I had already identified MP3tag as "the bomb". I was trying to find something similar under Ubuntu, but I've kind of resigned myself to the idea that I can't do that kind of data management remotely, at least on the wimpy little Atom I'm using. Back to Windows I go.

Still trying to decide whether to get my son a laptop (because he's in high school) or a desktop (because he likes Flight Simulator) so that I can reclaim his current desktop for my Vortex Box. I need to wait after I buy some more tires, I think.

My SB Touch is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'll report back "later" when I need help get stuff connected.

tomtuttle #355051 09/19/11 08:17 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Okay, well, as promised, here is my update.

I installed the SB Touch (wired ethernet). No problem. Very intuitive.

I installed SB server on the same PC that contains the FLAC files. Still having trouble getting it to run as a service on boot rather than on login, but I haven't tried "everything" yet.

Sound quality is very good; I think better than a coaxial digital connection from the same PC to the digital input of my receiver. Also better than the D/A converter in the PC or several other computer-to-receiver cabling solutions I've tried. No, I didn't A/B it and I will not. Yes, I could be imagining it. Sounds "good" anyway; not imagining that part.

The iPad SB app is just what I had in mind. That seems to work really great.

Still need to fix some tagging. Also - and more importantly - I need to create some more playlists so that I have other options besides artist/album at ready disposal.

Yeah, looking like "The Answer" so far. Thanks very much, guys.

tomtuttle #355082 09/20/11 04:56 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Glad to hear it's mostly going well. If I end up with one, it'll be down the road when I have nice speakers in my bathroom or bedroom, since I'll still be using my PC to play stuff on my main system, I think.

I emailed Dolby and told them they should sell ProLogic IIx/z plugins for the popular media players (at least MediaMonkey, since it's what I use, and it seems most people here like it, too). That way the player could handle the matrixing of the audio instead of me having to change the audio settings on my computer to 2-channel so my receiver can then employ PLIIx, then switch my computer settings again when I'm done with the music. It's just a hassle, a shortcoming of using my computer for music on my main system. Here's hoping they think it's a great idea. Ha ha.

CV #355112 09/20/11 04:17 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Brilliant, Charles.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard