Rate Thread
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Re: Improving Axioms
Chevy #355435 09/23/11 08:43 PM
P
local
local
P
I have own few Axiom speakers and of course we all want better mids, better bass, overall better sound quality. But these days i think that we also MUST need a good looking speaker. Not as fancy as a Paradigm studio/sig. line but at this time the few point who's actually been discuss is for me really important.

1.Hex screws should be a little recessed on the speakers to give a cleaner look.
2.Top and bottom speakers on the QS should be flushed with the speaker body.
3.Towers should come with the option of outriggers.
4.Real wood finishes at the price of vinyl.
5.Brushed stainless steel logo on speakers.

All those ideas are for me a really good way to put Axiom in the big line (#5 for me is the most important). Not only for the "best bang for the buck speaker" as everyone know. But a unique looking product, simple, that will have his own style and will suit a room.

I always have in mind the 800 line from Focal, i've own the 826V Moka and all i can say is wow, what a good looking speaker instead of wow what a big speaker like my M80 were.

Just my opinion.

Phil

Last edited by Philippe; 09/23/11 08:45 PM.

Nad C356 DAC & C515
Axiom M3v3
Grant Fidelity RPF-120 MKII
Analysis Plus Black Oval 12&10
JRiver 19
Philippe #355438 09/23/11 09:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I like the idea of an affordable 2 channel amp, as others have mentioned. Something around the 200 wpc range please.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Philippe #355448 09/24/11 01:27 AM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: Philippe
I have own few Axiom speakers and of course we all want better mids, better bass, overall better sound quality. But these days i think that we also MUST need a good looking speaker. Not as fancy as a Paradigm studio/sig. line but at this time the few point who's actually been discuss is for me really important.

1.Hex screws should be a little recessed on the speakers to give a cleaner look.
2.Top and bottom speakers on the QS should be flushed with the speaker body.
3.Towers should come with the option of outriggers.
5.Brushed stainless steel logo on speakers.

All those ideas are for me a really good way to put Axiom in the big line (#5 for me is the most important). Not only for the "best bang for the buck speaker" as everyone know. But a unique looking product, simple, that will have his own style and will suit a room.

I always have in mind the 800 line from Focal, i've own the 826V Moka and all i can say is wow, what a good looking speaker instead of wow what a big speaker like my M80 were.

Just my opinion.

Phil

Phil, unfortunately, with the brands you mentioned, you pay a pretty hefty premium for those impressive looks. Quite frankly, in my stable of speakers,I have M80s, M3s and M22s in the custom "High Gloss" black. For my taste anyway, there is not too many manufacturers around that look better than these especially for the money.

The only recommendation for me personally would be to change the color of the speakers to black. With the new magnetic grills with no holes and a cleaner look and especially with fancier cabinetry, if you choose to leave the grills off, the black speakers would be somewhat less distracting than the current white.

casey01 #355468 09/24/11 06:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: casey01

Phil, unfortunately, with the brands you mentioned, you pay a pretty hefty premium for those impressive looks. Quite frankly, in my stable of speakers,I have M80s, M3s and M22s in the custom "High Gloss" black. For my taste anyway, there is not too many manufacturers around that look better than these especially for the money.

This is very true. if you compair the bowers-wilkins CM1's to the Axiom M2's. Both speakers look pretty similar on paper.. However, the CM1's do have a much more refined look. the hex screws are counter sunk, all Stainless steel fittings/woofer tweeter housing, kevlar woofer...

However, the Axoim M2 costs 316$ each, while the bowers-wilkins CM1's cost 500$ each... sure there are some differences in materials used.. but would YOU be willing to pay an extra 200$ish for looks/ possibly some sound quality difference?

and the SQ topic is COMPLETELY up to the individual.

on a side not, i do not think it is fair that people are bringing up

that is like saying you want hard wood planks the same size as a sheet of plywood for the price of plywood... there are resource constraints at work here, and i don't think that this is a practical request. I think a more reasonable request would be

Real wood finishes for a FAIR price.

I don't know if anyone here has been keeping track of the price of wood.. but though my DIY experiences around the house.. The cost of a pine 2X4X8 has doubled in the last year and a half or so.... i would bet the price of vinyl finishes have also increased... if this is the case, then Axiom(Ian) is already not making as much profit as they/he use to at a given price point.

I do like the outrigger idea, i would bet axiom already has the tools that could machine aluminum, my guess it they would just need to buy some different bits.. So a capital expense of a few grand and this could be a reality, and 1 or 2 employees, and this could be a reality... So Ian, i recommend outriggers to help the global economy, buy axiom hiring a couple more people laugh

tomtuttle #355475 09/25/11 12:16 AM
Z
old hand
old hand
Z
I'm in favor of a cabinet redesign. So much so that after reading this post I did just that in Sketch-up - a little freeware 3D program that's dead simple to use. I added curves and out riggers while keeping the overall shape consistent with Axioms own. Just made them "sexier"!

Unfortunately I don't know how to add them to my post? Since I don't do Facebook or anything like that I can't share them.

Perhaps Axiom could run a contest where we could submit our designs and ideas and the winner(s) would receive a gift as a reward.

What do you think...Axiom? Sounds like fun to me!

M80's, VP180 and QS8's.
Marantz AV 7005 pre/pro
Outlaw 7700 power amp
SVS SB12 sub
zuter #355477 09/25/11 12:55 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Save the file as a jpg and then you can post it here as a picture.

Sketch up is fun and fairly powerful for freeware.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
zuter #355485 09/25/11 04:26 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: zuter
I'm in favor of a cabinet redesign. So much so that after reading this post I did just that in Sketch-up - a little freeware 3D program that's dead simple to use. I added curves and out riggers while keeping the overall shape consistent with Axioms own. Just made them "sexier"!

Unfortunately I don't know how to add them to my post? Since I don't do Facebook or anything like that I can't share them.

Perhaps Axiom could run a contest where we could submit our designs and ideas and the winner(s) would receive a gift as a reward.

What do you think...Axiom? Sounds like fun to me!

The problem with this is... It's hard to tell how they will sound... Form following function... to tell if they would perform well, axiom would have to manufacture a speaker and test it.. Right now Axiom has a design that sounds good and looks decent. I think there would have to be a pretty strong motivating force to justify the R&D expense in a new design. Something like 3-4 quarters of loosing market share, or something of that nature.

But then again, i think Axiom underestimated the demand for the VP-180 initially. So Zuter you could be on to something... Redesign= greater market share?

dakkon #355500 09/25/11 03:31 PM
Z
old hand
old hand
Z
These are all good points. I'm not suggesting they actually use any of our ideas. They/we rate them in a contest for the owners/fans and award prizes for the best and/or highest rated suggestions. As stated in their newsletter they are customer driver and use our input to enhance or create new designs.

Many in this forum exhibit great insight through their ideas/posts...why not kick this up a notch!

M80's, VP180 and QS8's.
Marantz AV 7005 pre/pro
Outlaw 7700 power amp
SVS SB12 sub
jakewash #355502 09/25/11 04:07 PM
Z
old hand
old hand
Z
http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showgallery&Number=355501#comments

Not sure if this is how you meant to do this but here is my re-design.

M80's, VP180 and QS8's.
Marantz AV 7005 pre/pro
Outlaw 7700 power amp
SVS SB12 sub
dakkon #355504 09/25/11 05:25 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: dakkon
Originally Posted By: casey01

This is very true. if you compair the bowers-wilkins CM1's to the Axiom M2's. Both speakers look pretty similar on paper.. However, the CM1's do have a much more refined look. the hex screws are counter sunk, all Stainless steel fittings/woofer tweeter housing, kevlar woofer...

However, the Axoim M2 costs 316$ each, while the bowers-wilkins CM1's cost 500$ each... sure there are some differences in materials used.. but would YOU be willing to pay an extra 200$ish for looks/ possibly some sound quality difference?

and the SQ topic is COMPLETELY up to the individual.

on a side not, i do not think it is fair that people are bringing up

that is like saying you want hard wood planks the same size as a sheet of plywood for the price of plywood... there are resource constraints at work here, and i don't think that this is a practical request. I think a more reasonable request would be

Real wood finishes for a FAIR price.

I don't know if anyone here has been keeping track of the price of wood.. but though my DIY experiences around the house.. The cost of a pine 2X4X8 has doubled in the last year and a half or so.... i would bet the price of vinyl finishes have also increased... if this is the case, then Axiom(Ian) is already not making as much profit as they/he use to at a given price point.

I do like the outrigger idea, i would bet axiom already has the tools that could machine aluminum, my guess it they would just need to buy some different bits.. So a capital expense of a few grand and this could be a reality, and 1 or 2 employees, and this could be a reality... So Ian, i recommend outriggers to help the global economy, buy axiom hiring a couple more people laugh

Just a little note here with respect to the B&Ws and comparing them to the Axiom models. Except for the top of the line 800 series, most of the their(B&W) models, although of UK design, are now manufactured in China as compared to Canada for the Axioms. This has, perhaps, allowed B&W to close that price gap somewhat on their less expensive lines than otherwise probably would have not been the case in the past.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters