AV Room
#354989 09/18/11 02:38 PM
J
J. B. Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
J
I took this photo of my almost finished AV room yesterday.
i still have to install a couple of sound absorbing/diffusing panels, which i should get in a few days.

Please have a look here: http://gellidius.deviantart.com/#/d4a52ra
Surround speakers not shown.
Approx. room size: 9 x 9 x 16 Ft.
Don't mind the specs below the photo, they're there just to "WOW" some people.
What wows me the most in this system is the M80s and the Marantz decoder + Audyssey.
The only negative point in all this is the 0.5 dB steps in the volume control; a little rough to my taste, but still very acceptable.

I welcome critics.

Also this for JC:
now that the whole setup is almost finished, i'm stunned by the difference in sound from my former setup.
When listening to music, i don't hear the speakers or the room at all, but only the music in the space it was recorded in;
Stunningly realistic! is all i can say.

for the second evening in a row, listening to music, my eyes got wet and i had to stop and get my breath back...

When i bought my former sound system (in the 80's), i thought it was superb, but this one answers all the AV dreams i had since the 70s.

Re: AV Room
J. B. #355076 09/20/11 02:12 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Jacques, I'm sure that the sound you're experiencing with that setup is excellent indeed. Although you "welcome critics" about the only comment I can make(besides indicating amusement at the "Max SPL" and "Total power" specs)is to wonder if you did try the PC12+ directly in the left(or right)corner, which often is the best location for a single sub except in a square room.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Re: AV Room
JohnK #355091 09/20/11 11:58 AM
J
J. B. Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
J
I did try the sub in the left corner for about 1 week, but the sound wasn't good, it was boomy and sometimes exaggerated, it did not sound natural.
It is now about one third of the way from the side wall and about 15 inches from the back wall, measured from driver center.

With Audyssey calibr., the transition from sub to Fronts is seamless and the sound is very natural and convincing.

When i had the sub in the corner, playing Master & Commander, the cannon shots were very impressive: one big loud boom; now they're very convincing for their realism, despite the fact that those cannons are not as loud as before.
The feeling now is "i'm there for real"; there's lots of detail where before it was just a big boom with no specific character to the sound.

As i said above, the speakers and the room simply disappear (with a good quality source).

What surprised me the most was the fact that, in spite of my having only a 4.1 system (no Heights or Wides), when in the lower deck of the ship (in M & C), some sounds did seem to come from above, on the upper deck. maybe this is because the only surface where there is no sound treatment is on the ceiling, or maybe it's just psycho-acoustics.

This is more than you asked, but i sometimes do that when i'm feverish... and this new system makes me feverish. ;-)

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup