Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Squeezebox - Network topology and data scrubbing
tomtuttle #355243 09/21/11 10:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm glad the SB install and the iPad SB app is what you were looking for Tom. Did you go with the iPeng app or the SqueezePad app?

That was a great buy on the Touch!

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #355246 09/21/11 10:55 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Rick, I haven't even tried iPeng. I really don't see any deficiencies in the SB app.

I HAVE TO solve that server problem, though.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #355254 09/21/11 11:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Oh yea, I completely forgot about the Logitech SB app Tom. I'm not quite sure it was out whenever I set our SB up, seems like it may have came out after I already downloaded the SqueezePad app.

Good luck on the server issue, sure wish I could help you there but I'm not that smart! laugh

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #355260 09/22/11 12:27 AM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Oh, I can find a solution... Just trying to find the FREE one for now. I'm not a network guy.

tomtuttle #355297 09/22/11 11:58 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Tom, I just leave my PC on 24x7. I didn't bother getting a dedicated network data storage device. The PC goes into sleep mode to save some power $ but when I hit the power on my Squeezebox the 'Wake-on'Lan' feature wakes up my PC. It only adds a few seconds to the experience to get the music started. Adding a second hard drive (when it got to the point I needed it) to make room for media was a lot cheaper than a dedicated device.

I forget though, maybe you only have a laptop or another reason this might be inconvenient.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #355317 09/22/11 03:45 PM
T
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
T
Well, I am trying to run it on a desktop computer that is used by both of my kids and that is our file server.

So, it's not so much a power problem as a "who (if anyone) is logged in" problem.

I can hack something together; I might just move the SB Server to my wife's machine and either have it run off the files on that other machine, or run against a backup of them. I just need to draw myself a map regarding the backup scheme and check on the disk capacities.

I could also use my Ubuntu box and an external hard drive, but I was concerned about performance in that scenario.

What I WANT to do is get my son something else and turn his old socket 939 computer (in a gorgeous Silverstone case) into a vortexbox. But that would cost me a replacement computer, whereas the other scenarios are basically free.

I think these little plug in servers are pretty cool, but I don't need one. Here's another

tomtuttle #355344 09/22/11 07:40 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The SB server can be set up as a 'process' so that it starts as soon as the PC boots up and runs regardless of who logs in our out. The trick is that you have to assign it a username and password that has "Admin" rights on the system. In my case, I simply assigned it my own user name and password.

However, depending what your kids do and how powerful the PC is, overtaxing the PC could effect the constant signal but the buffering it does should defeat that except for extreme circumstances. My PC was a home built, overkill project 4 years ago but it is now weak by modern standards and I can do anything including intensive 3-D gaming and my music flows just fine with nothing missed or jittered.

Still, I get your desire for a dedicated device. Whoever dies with the most toys, Wins!!!

If you need help setting up SB server as a process, let me know. In fact, I bet you still have my cell number from the sheet of numbers from the Axiom gathering.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters