Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
speaker size calibration
#355511 09/26/11 12:19 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Finally.... Ive done. Ive finally gotten my QS8's for my rear. LOL I have a Pioneer Elite receiver that I did the macdss (sp?) speaker calibration. Anyways, it set my m80's as large and my center (150)/QS8's as small. I tried a movie and found most of my dialogue was coming from my mains and not my center. To correct this... should I set my center as large or move my mains to small to have ALL the speakers as small???? It registered my sub as NO.. although I did have it connected. Advise on what I should do????

Re: speaker size calibration
72mustang #355512 09/26/11 01:10 AM
shareholder in the making
Bruce, you have to get your sub recognized to properly do the MCACC calibration process. The first thing to check is to make sure that in the speaker setup menu you didn't set the sub as "No". If that happened, no calibration signal would be sent to the sub and it would also get nothing in either movies or music.

Once you get the sub in action and a better calibration done, the "large" setting for the M80s should be manually set to "small" with probably an 80Hz crossover. As things are now, any frequencies in the center channel below what crossover was set for the VP150 would be sent primarily to the "large" M80s. This may be why so much dialog is coming from them. All the speakers should be set "small" with appropriate crossover frequencies.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #355520 09/26/11 03:22 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Ok. I went in manualy and changed all speakers to small and made the subwoofer a " Yes ". Out of many presettings they all sound away/dull/hollow.... only one sounds good and that is 7 channel stereo... which, has more dialoge in the mains than in the center. I guess when my mother said she dropped me on my head when I was young she was right. LOL Im wondering though if the problem might be with my sub. Its an older sounds dynamic which has no direct sub out but only rca's which I have hooked into the back of my receiver. Does anyone know if my Elite 82 has specific speaker volume controls set inside I can adjust???? Maybe I can leave it on the 7 channel stereo ( which i might add does sound great) and increase the center volume to put more dialoge in it? Its there... but nowhere as loud as the mains.
- I dont know where the frequencey numbers are to change for speakers
- when the mcdss (sp? ) was doing its test, even after I changed the sub to ON... I never heard a test actually coming from the sub, only my 5 main speakers.

Last edited by 72mustang; 09/26/11 03:25 AM.
72mustang #355523 09/26/11 04:24 AM
If the MCACC(that's the sp)calibration doesn't sound through the sub, then the sub apparently isn't working. Can you confirm that you can't hear anything from the sub during music or movies? The sub out on the Elite 82 is supposed to be connected with a coaxial cable with an RCA plug on the end into the single low level input on the sub(or either one if there're two).

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #355525 09/26/11 05:26 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Nope... quite sure it didnt come through on the calibration. I can also quarantee that before I did the calibration it was working as well as just after I did the original post because I remember having to turn down the sub because it was a tad too loud/boomy in the scene I was testing the after calibration on. I also remember a written warning on my tv screen saying no sub detected/turn sub up louder and/or set the frequency higher/lower ( cannot remember which one )

I looked at my sub just now and I have 2 rca jacks going into low level line in and 2 rca jacks coming from the line out. All 4 are coming from/going into my receiver. I did not take the time tonight too see where they are connected as its late and will take some time to pull cabinet and tv away from wall and dig around. I will do tomorrow.

My next purchase is too get a sub with a sub out single line. The sub I have now is about 15 years old. Time to upgrade.

It just baffles me though that after the calibration all setting except one seems to have lower than normal volume. I can turn my amp all the way to +2 where it stops and the volume is loud, but not really. Before all this happening I could only listen to it at -10 or so. But that one setting I mentioned ( 7 channel stereo ) still retains the original volume from pre calibration. Am I making sence here? Maybe I'll look local around town here to get someone over who knows how to properly set this up. My mother was right. LOL

JohnK #355561 09/27/11 12:53 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
So the way its set up now is... I have rca jacks going from Pre out Front speakers from Elite amp to low level in on Sub. From low level out of sub to variable in on Nad power amp. Then I have my 2 front speakers coming from the Nad to the speakers.

I do have Sub power. Its on in all mods. My sub has a volume switch and a 50 below all the way to 120 above. I have volume set at half and the number buttom set at 80.

Is there a speaker adjustment for cut off in my amp??? Ie... set it at 80 crossover ect????

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044