Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: An epic man-cave, requiring epic speakers
Ken.C #355368 09/23/11 12:15 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Wall mount to lend a helping hand to the low end.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #355385 09/23/11 03:16 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
*edited post*

Thanks John, I didn't even look at the size. I really don't know what I was thinking. That does lead me to the question of sub placement. I know some people put it to their front left, but I was wondering whether it would be better for movies and games and such if it were closer to the surround left? I am completely clueless on this.

As of right now, the receiver is solid. I'm still looking at the differences between the Onkyo 708 and 709 considering the price gap. Gonna do a little more research on Audyessey's website.

Thanks again for all the responses, I'm continuing to learn a lot.

Last edited by soadnathan; 09/23/11 03:27 AM.
soadnathan #355386 09/23/11 03:22 AM
Nathan, the STF-2 IS a "smoother, high-quality 10"; that's why I suggested it.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

soadnathan #355388 09/23/11 03:42 AM
The frequencies handled by subs(generally under 100Hz)are essentially omni-directional and the location of a sub playing at a loudness level that isn't excessive shouldn't be apparent. So, left/right, front/back shouldn't be of crucial significance. Typically, in a room that isn't square, the best location for a single sub is in a corner farthest from a large opening.

JohnK #355390 09/23/11 04:12 AM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
After reading a little bit more about Multi EQ XT, I realize that its only really good in loud situations where it has to equalize in an odd-shaped room. Some posts on their forums suggest that the Dynamic EQ is more practical in its noise level.

I don't know how much noise it would all make anyways. It would be facing away from the wall that they were behind, but I'm wondering if we should soundproof the walls with something. hah

Also still having trouble with the placement of my receiver. I can't really put it on the wall with the screen, and I really like people's setups where it is neatly stacked on a shelf in a cabinet or on a rack of the PERFECT height. I could always put a rack along the left wall maybe?

Had a suggestion for these
http://www.sanus.com/us/en/products/av-racks/av-euro/

Any other reasonable storage options for A/V devices?

soadnathan #355392 09/23/11 04:17 AM
J
J
Head to here and look around.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
soadnathan #355393 09/23/11 04:29 AM
I don't think that you've read accurate commentary from what you mention in your first paragraph. The basic function of MultEQ is to correct for sound variations which are caused by all listening rooms. The loudness level isn't a factor. Dynamic EQ is a separate function available with Audyssey which compensates for the lower sensitivity of our ears to bass and treble at low sound levels by increasing the relative level of bass and treble as the loudness level drops. These aren't competing functions; they address different problems.

JohnK #355404 09/23/11 02:28 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Jake, thanks a ton for the link, I'm looking through their Open Shelving TV Stands now. Makes me wonder how many devices I should plan for. Does anyone have any input on devices that you purchased AFTER you finished the setup? As of right now I only really have the receiver, 360, PS3, and HTPC. Some of the racks of 15 shelves?? Really?!?! I know some people need an amp and a separate processor etc, but 15 thingamajigs is a lot. I also was curious as to why some people have dedicated blu-ray players with a PS3. I've never had a problem with blu-rays on the PS3, am I missing something?

And John, the only real reason I made that statement is because the people who really rave are the ones that get Multi EQ XT32. I read it on the avsforums here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1053572

It just says that the nicer resolution of the correction would not be enjoyable unless the speakers were turned up. Its even said that the resolution is identical for the subwoofer and only noticeable difference comes from higher frequencies. It does say that the XT has more measuring positions which is whats important, I did read somewhere that it would have to be at perfect 90 degree angles for the best measurement? That would be tough for the surrounds and center.

Anyways, thanks again!

soadnathan #355449 09/24/11 01:47 AM
Okay, I just read the linked AVS thread, which contains an appalling amount of misinformation. Now I see where you got the ideas that I previously commented on. The original poster there somehow had a belief that he could have MultEq plus Dynamic EQ or MultEQ XT without DEQ. This is totally incorrect since DEQ is available with both. Unfortunately none of the replies really corrected this, including those from generally very knowledgeable posters Sanjay Durani and Dr. Rubinson(who may not have been completely familiar with DEQ three years ago). Therefore, as I replied above, the benefits of DEQ at lower volumes are certainly also available with the more advanced XT and aren't "sacrificed" as one of the uninformed replies there claimed.

It's correct that the resolution for the subwoofer channel is identical for both flavors; the higher XT resolution applies to the speakers, and for example with the common 80Hz crossover would affect frequencies from 80Hz to 20,000Hz.

Whatever you read about a "90 degree" measurement angle also appears to make no sense. The measurements are to be taken in a tight cluster at all angles around the main listening spot.

Beware, since although the internet can provide valuable audio information, some threads can become quagmires of misinformation.

JohnK #355554 09/26/11 07:24 PM
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
Alright, I am finalizing everything after finally deciding that I would rather invest the money in higher-end components should the need arise in the future. Thoughts are still welcome.

1. Epson Home Cinema 8350 (i'll figure the screen out later)
2. Onkyo TX-NR709
3. M60 fronts
4. QS8 surrounds
5. VP150 center
6. HSU STF-2 subwoofer

So I am assuming there will be a good bit of speaker wire involved, so I was going to see if someone could point me in the right direction. I won't have an elaborate tool set after moving out, but there won't be anything out of the ordinary required will there?

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters