Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Occupy Oswego
#356757 10/17/11 03:26 PM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
OK, so there probably wasn't a tent city there last week, but I've been surprised at how viral the whole thing has been. (The viral aspect---made possible entirely by BIG business.) When it went global within days, it truly amazed me.

Having been an active part of the protest generation, in this case, oddly, I find myself with no strong feelings about it.

I'm glad that people still have faith in the power of citizenry united. Three years ago, the buzzword was "hope." I guess, when that ain't happenin', the buzz word naturally becomes "faith," if you're still hangin' in the game, that is.

The most interesting thing is that the impatience and disgust isn't directed at a party, but at goverment(s) en toto. Bipartisanship through collective anger?

There will always be other components to any movements, but this is predominantly econmic protest, the 99%/1% thing.

1960's activism had focused and, by comparison, rather simple goals--end the war, stop racism, stop sexism. The much wider and broader topic of Save-The-Earth, as a sustainable movement, (sorry for the pun) came a little later.

This time, I have difficulty understanding exactly what the 99% want to see happen, or more importantly, how do they expect to affect change.
When Steve Tyler sang, "Eat the Rich," he was the owner of a lear jet.

I did see, among the footage, a very witty and well exectued full-sized American flag with all the stars replaced by American corporate logos.

The point has been made, then what?

The new iPhone is moving a million units a day. (Apple was one of the logos on that flag.) How many protesters had to break camp to get in line at midnight at the Apple store?

Evreyone of those logos on that American flag got huge enough to be included there, because WE put them there.

So, though I admire your chutzpah, I bleat out once more, not "What do you want," but rather, "How do you want it?"

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Re: Occupy Oswego
BobKay #356762 10/17/11 03:57 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
+1

Time to dust off some Mencken.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #356766 10/17/11 04:14 PM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
+1

Time to dust off some Mencken.

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard."

Or how 'bout some French:
"I didn't make my millions from people eating mustard. I made them from the mustard they left behind on their plates."

What?

Pfffft. You created a Mencken link. Pffffft.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #356799 10/17/11 06:17 PM
shareholder in the making
At lunch, I caught a bit of my local news. The first story was about the "Occupy Wall Street" presence as is happening in NH. The second story was that Lowes in closing three stores in the state. So...literally... right on the heels of the story about corporate greed, came the story about Lowes which contained the following:

In all, 20 stores across the country will be closing, and about 1,950 employees will be affected by the closings. "Closing stores is never easy, given the impact on hard-working employees and local communities," said Robert A. Niblock, chairman, president and CEO. "However, we have an obligation to make tough decisions when necessary to improve profitability and strengthen our financial position."

You can't make this stuff up.

Edit: Now that I took the time to search out those quotes, I'm going to post it to Facebook, too.

Last edited by MarkSJohnson; 10/17/11 06:19 PM.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
BobKay #356801 10/17/11 06:19 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Harumph!

Okay, then, how about Joe Jackson?

tomtuttle #356827 10/17/11 09:28 PM
Joe Jackson? Why, he doesn't even have any shoes!

tomtuttle #356828 10/17/11 09:30 PM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Back in the 1970's, Woody Allen's character in Annie Hall was waiting in line to see a film. The man in line in front of him misquoted Marshall McCluhan. Sooooo, Woody goes 4 people back in line, grabs (the real) Marshal McCluhan, and has him set the guy straight.

Now, with this webnet thing, everyone can do it. Marshall McCluhan is ALWAYS in the que with us, everywhere.

That's why I thought the link was humrous.

Boy, deconstruction ain't funny, is it?

BobKay #356840 10/17/11 11:12 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Well, it is when WE do it.

Seriously, what's the "end game" for the occupiers? I get that "The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to annoy people who are not in them" (thanks, Dave Barry). But who are you trying to annoy here, and what do you expect them to do so that you can declare victory and stop annoying them?

tomtuttle #356918 10/18/11 03:49 PM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I think they were trying to annoy you, in particular. Looks like they succeded.

Seriously though, they have surely annoyed every city treasurer's office, as the police O.T. has further burdended already diminshed coffers.

BobKay #356923 10/18/11 03:55 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I'm annoyed insofar as the (presumably non-bowel) movement seems like a rather feckless response to legitimate policy issues.

I was kind of delighted by the rapid internet mockery, though. (Occupy Sesame Street, et. al.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020