Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Upgrading my mains...
#357167 10/21/11 11:16 AM
B
OP Offline
B
I'm a longtime Axiom user (since 2002). Though I have been using a smaller setup as I was in an apartment at the time and fresh out of university. Haven't yet upgraded.

Currently I run:

M3ti for fronts, M2ti for rears, a VP100 center and HSU VTF-1 for a sub, all in a black finish. All driven by a Yamaha RX-V596. My sources include a Samsung bluray, Technics SL1200MK2 for an album spinner and also play FLACs via a HTPC (I ripped my CDs and stored them). The HTPC and Bluray are via optical, the turntable into the phono stage.

At the time, it was 90-10 HT/Game use vs. music use.
I am not going to change much in my setup but my tastes have changed so it will be about a 60-40 HT/games-music split. About 3 years ago I got back into vinyl and started listening to more music in general. Accordingly I want something that preforms well in stereo and in 5.1 mode and won't be a drain on my wallet.

I was perfectly content with what I had, they seem to fill my room quite well, though it is a larger 24x26 in total (though 1/4 of that that is walled off as a storage room, the other 1/4 is a sitting area and bar and not important to fill. The main TV and listening area is 12x14, and the 12x10 behind that is my office. Though other than the storage room its all "open".

Then one night last week I went to a co-workers to sample some fine single malts and listen to his audiophile system (I had talked him into getting back into vinyl). Needless to say I can't afford to replicate his system (B&W 802Ds - 2 monoblock Classé amps, a Rega P5, you get the idea). However I figure I could better what I have.

I've narrowed down my choices to Paradigm SE3, B&W 683, Monitor Audio RS6/RX6 (if I can find them) or the M60s/M80s.

With whatever I buy the M3tis will move to rear duty and the M2tis stored...

Given the above my price is between 1000-2000, though less is preferable. My ears will be my own guide but I can't really try the axioms out before buying.

Re: Upgrading my mains...
BuddyRich #357182 10/21/11 02:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Welcome to the forums! You will find that a lot of people here really love their M60s and M80s. I have M60s, but I have also heard the M80s. With the 80s (the speakers, not the decade), they seemed to produce more low end, and can be driven harder. That doesn't mean that the M60s are any slouch. Since most of us have powered subs, the real low end gets split off to the deep frequency duty anyway, and how loud do you REALLY need it. I used to watch movies with my family at about -14 on my receiver, and if it was an action flick where I like it loud, I would turn it to about -8. The loudest I've ever turned it (yes, just to say that I could) was to 11. My receive (and the Axioms) could keep going, but it was really not enjoyable for any length of time above 0 or maybe 2. Just too loud, although nice and detailed and clean.

So, I would say, jump up to the M60s if dollars are a concern. You will also want to look at a possible new center channel if possible. The upcoming VP160 would be a great match for the M60 fronts, or the VP150 or the monstrous VP180. You will get a lot better front sound stage.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck and keep asking questions.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #357195 10/21/11 03:14 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Returning the M60s or M80s is fairly cheap (around $90 i believe) which is not much relative to the price of the speakers and is worth it IMO to give them a try.

And yes, welcome!

Bruno
M80s/VP180/QS8s/EP600/AVR-890
------------------------------------
"The problem is choice..."
bdpf #357213 10/21/11 05:47 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
i would be very surprised you would not like either the M60s or the M80s.
i have the M80s and they are very transparent, they go down far enough in freq. to play any instrument, except the lowest notes on a large organ; and even playing movies at reference level, mine still have crystal clear audio; they never really work hard, so there is never any distortion.
if one ever hears distortion from those speakers, it's in the source; and they unmask bad sources easily.
"very transparent", to me, means no holes in the sound and no veil muffling some frequencies.
hope this helps. :-)

i bought them unseen and unheard, and i never regretted buying them, not one second.

J. B. #357216 10/21/11 06:41 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the feedback. Id love to go to a vp150 or larger (the center is so important in 5.1 IMO) but the 100 fits perfectly were I have it. Larger and I would have to sit it on the stand which wouldnt look as good IMO (or more importantly the wife's!)

As far as the M60/M80s go are they shielded like the bookshelfs? They should be far enough away to not affect the Plasma but...

Also my amp is rather old but does put out 100W per channel at 8Ohms. I don't have the manual in front of me but I think it is switchable to 6 or 4 Ohm output, would that drive the M80 OK or would I need an external amp? I know my receiver has preamp outs...

As far as A/Bing has anyone heard those others I mentioned? I am interested in how the M60/M80 stacks up against the B&W 683s which I am demoing after work, and hopefully the SE3s.

BuddyRich #357218 10/21/11 06:55 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Is plasma susceptible to magnetics? I assumed that plasma and LCDs were not and only CRTs were by their nature....

BTW, Welcome, Buddy. How often do you get asked to sit in and solo? smile

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #357219 10/21/11 07:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Also, concerning the amp's switchable-ness on the ohms. Always leave it set at 8 ohm. Other settings only limit how much power the amp is allowed to output. A legally required safety setting that's not necessary.

MarkSJohnson #357221 10/21/11 07:20 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Mark, you beat me to it (pardon the pun).I was waiting for someone to ask that question. I still have an autographed photo and drumsticks from Mr. Rich. Had the pleasure of meeting Buddy when I was an aspiring 12 year old drummer.

Rock_Head #357224 10/21/11 08:11 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Buddy, I believe you'll find that the M60s/80s compare very well to those other speakers you are considering. I auditioned the Paradigm Studio 100s a couple of years back, and felt they were uncannily similar to the M80s. The SE lineup from Paradigm(I haven't heard) is slightly below the Studio line as I understand it. As for the Monitor Audios, some people have complained about them being somewhat forward(in fact, people have also said the same about all the speakers you've listed, at one time or another), but you can decide for yourself when auditioning...they(Mon Auds) shouldn't be too hard to locate in most cities. I can't really comment on B&w's having only compared one of their expensive bookshelf speakers to Axiom's M3 in a blind test, except that I feel on a dollar/performance comparison, they don't come close to matching up to the other speakers you're looking at.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Rock_Head #357225 10/21/11 08:23 PM
B
OP Offline
B
He was before my time... Though I do have a few LPs of his stuff, including two of his "drum battle" LPs, one against Krupa the other against Roach (surprisingly its the better of the two, given that Gene was generally acknowledged as the better drummer ). If you enjoy percussion, those records are it.

It was via another great drummer, Neil Peart,that I stumbled onto Mr. Rich (and Jazz in general) via the Tribute album he organized. Unfortunately I do not have his same talent but I do beat the skins on occasion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters