Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: My new personalized PC build.
Ya_basta #357322 10/23/11 06:37 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Are SSD's notoriously unreliable? I've read though a lot of reviews and this seems to be a common complaint. The review averages aren't very high on many, if not the majority of the drives.

On top of that, I looked at VelociRaptor drives and some people state the reason they chose it is because of firmware hassles and reliability issues with SSD's.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #357325 10/23/11 07:18 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Hmmmmmm, I'm thinking that I just might go this route utilizing SRT using my 1 TB Green drive, seeing that my components are all compatible.

Thoughts?

Thanks

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #357327 10/23/11 07:51 PM
shareholder in the making
It's faster than mechanical storage, but not as fast as an SSD.

There's bugs that crop up with every new generation of SSD. I believe they're mostly resolved on the current ones, though. I would probably do a Windows System Image backup every week or so on the SSD, just so you can restore it easily if something goes haywire.

Have a look at anandtech.com for authoritative articles on SSDs and the Intel tech you're referring to. Techreport also has good data.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #357329 10/23/11 08:40 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks for the advice, Ken. I just read an article on anandtech.com and was aware about the risk of data loss using the maximum performance setting, which does raise concern, especially because I don't have a UPS.

There's the increased performance boost, at a cheaper price than a SSD (I couldn't see me getting one smaller than 150 GB for the OS and some programs), but the risk of data loss.

With a SSD, would you load a browser and other daily used programs on it? That's my understanding.

Thanks

Ya_basta #357330 10/23/11 09:00 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I've also read about a lesser life expectancy with SSD's, and I'm literally on my computer all day because I'm bedridden. Something to consider, or hogwash smile?

Ya_basta #357335 10/23/11 11:14 PM
It is less, but it's still over 3-5 years, AFAIK.

I use a 256GB SSD in my laptop, so obviously I have everything on it. If I were to get one for my desktop, though, I'd probably get ~128GB and then load the OS, applicaitons, and games on that, and store my data on a hard drive.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #357339 10/23/11 11:54 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
I only have 36 gigs free on my 160 gig SSD. That's only OS and applications. I keep my games on a 1 TB drive strictly for games, and I have another 1 TB drive for all of my media and data. If I keep taking advantage of the Steam deals, I may need to upgrade to a 2 TB sooner rather than later. Or just uninstall the ones I'm not actually playing, but why do that, right? Anyway, I don't know how much space most people need for their applications, but I don't even feel like I have that many, and I'm already feeling like I don't have enough breathing room.

I'd like to upgrade to a larger SSD for my main drive, though. While I've had zero issues, I definitely wouldn't be doing SSD by itself. I think I'll be glad at some point that I have my data on its own drive. I'd like to use my current SSD for my PS3. I don't use my PS3 enough to need the 500 GB that I currently have in it, so I think I'd rather have the performance versus the space.

Ken.C #357367 10/24/11 02:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
It is less, but it's still over 3-5 years, AFAIK.

I use a 256GB SSD in my laptop, so obviously I have everything on it. If I were to get one for my desktop, though, I'd probably get ~128GB and then load the OS, applicaitons, and games on that, and store my data on a hard drive.

There's been some reports going around about SSD failure, data loss, early deaths, but if you have been working with computers long enough you come to know that ANY component could fry as early as day 1. I've even seen a CPU die which is EXTREMELY rare (no overclock, no voltage push).

Secondly, know that every first generation new technology will take some time to improve and then awhile longer for the negative old news to disappear. This is how stereotypes stick with a product long after the issues have become negligible.

The SSD has made the largest single increase in my system speed in years. It is worth every dollar and since the inception of SATA3 (6GB), the read and write rates are literally 4 times or more faster than disc drives.

In regards to data loss, SSD failure, no one should be using one single drive to house everything they own regardless of storage type.
If you don't have a backup for whatever your choice of storage, i have no sympathies.

And with that thought, i'll do my two click backup right now...

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
Ya_basta #366108 02/09/12 04:11 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I've been meaning to post some pictures of my build and finally got around to it moments ago. The case is gargantuan. With everything installed, it weighs around 50 pounds, and it's too long to sit perpendicularly on my dresser (I'm thinking of getting a shelf the width of case and mounting it on the wall).

My sisters friend put it together for me and did an amazing job on cable management; the temps are sweet.

I'm going to get an Intel 510 120 GB SSD, and a 1TB SATA3 6GB/S 7200RPM WD Caviar Black next month.

Excuse the grainy pictures, my caregiver has shaky hands.

Custom fan mod to cool my video cards.

Peace

Ya_basta #366130 02/09/12 08:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
WoW! Very nice! Makes my build look like a red-headed stepchild. mad laugh

*Michael*
AV123 Refugee - X-LS Encore, X-Voce, X-Omnis, Elt-Dpa's
Denon AVR-591
Magnavox NB500MGX BDP

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard