Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 95 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 94 95
Re: Maybe I should start a v4.0 build thread somewhere
nickbuol #358078 11/05/11 03:09 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So I got back from my business trip and hit the library. I didn't have a card, but within a few minutes, I did and was out the door with the book... All 350+ pages of electrical glory. I went through the whole book and wrote some notes down. It looks like the only thing that I missed was the previously mentioned junction box issue. I have everything else. The wires themselves are run correctly, stapled down correctly (ok, maybe a little overkill on some of the staples), I had enough length of wire coming out of the front of the box (I targeted 8 inches, and code requires 6). So after spending some time with the book, I headed downstairs tonight and started ripping out all of the old wiring that was going from the breaker box to the junction boxes. What a pain, but it is done and ready for new wiring to be run tomorrow. I might as well hit the home improvement store and pick up another 250 foot spool of 12-2 wire (20 amp circuits) for $76 plus tax.

I wonder if there is any way to recycle the old wire's copper? I mean, some people steal this stuff from houses that are under construction, an honest guy should be able to get a few bucks too I would think.

I will wait until I have to pull out the wiring for the existing lighting as well so that I have it all out at once, but I can't do that until I am ready for inspection.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #358103 11/05/11 11:51 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well I had a surprise visit from my father-in-law today. We hammered out a TON of the wiring that needed to be re-done in order to get rid of all of the junction boxes. There are 3 left that I need to work on, and 2 of them are related to the same thing. We would have kept working, but I needed to go get a long piece of 14-3 wire (25 feet or so) and it is about an hour round trip right now due to some stinking road construction. So, since he lives about an hour away, I just told him that he could go and that I was very thankful. We even moved the breaker box a few more inches to give me enough room to build a regular wall next to it (long story). Very productive, but now I need to finish mapping out how I am going to run the 3-way wiring and head off to the store for it. By the end of the day tomorrow, I hope to have them all worked out and the electrical run for the lights and outlets in the home theater too.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #358148 11/06/11 04:56 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I am really enjoying hearing your story, Nick.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #358168 11/06/11 07:59 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I enjoy actually working on the basement, not sitting in the car while my wife and youngest shop for jeans... I did make a run to the home improvement store to get a couple if small items, but I am ready to get back at it. I also found out that the people across the street from us in our "new to us" neighborhood are having an open house and they have a "theater" in their basement. Maybe a quick stop over to snoop around a bit and THEN getting to work...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #358184 11/07/11 04:03 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
LOL. The neighbor's "home theater" consisted of a row of 4 motorized theater seats, and a 46 inch TV. Oh, and some cheap in-ceiling speakers.

Well, as usual I didn't get as much done today in the basement, but that was because I decided to take care of some yard work while it was nice outside and since it is now going to be dark out by the time I get home from work. So I mowed the yard one last time, and raked a TON of leaves. Glad it is done.

I do have all of the remaining junction boxes worked out, and I opted to re-route some additional wiring just to clean things up. I did manage to get the wall sconces wired up, and that is when it hit me. I think that I will run a second circuit for the outlets in the home theater. Overkill for sure, but I heard that some inspectors don't like too many items (lights, switches, outlets) on a single circuit even though code doesn't specify how many items, as long as things don't exceed 80% of the circuit capacity. So, with 12 small can lights, 6 wall sconces, a star ceiling, and rope lighting that puts it at 20 lights on the circuit. So I'll have to pick up another $36 AFCI circuit breaker...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #358192 11/07/11 05:28 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I went back downstairs and measured a few things for the backer boxes for the can lights, drilled my "in" and "out" holes for the electrical wire, and then ran some CAT6 cable from the equipment rack area to the projector area since more and more projectors have an Ethernet connection on them. I had to put my own ends on, and I had to hunt for my crimp tool, so it took a little longer, but those are done. Monday and Tuesday night I have band and orchestra concerts for the kids, so things will sit somewhat idle for a couple of days....

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #358215 11/07/11 02:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: nickbuol

... is when it hit me. I think that I will run a second circuit for the outlets in the home theater. ...

Hey Nick - while you're at it, have you thought of running a separate circuit for your sub(s)? Just a thought for both future proofing and to make sure you don't have any issues with feeding your HT equipment and subs all on the same circuit.

Out of curiosity, was the neighbours motorzied seats the DBox system?

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
cb919 #358235 11/07/11 04:57 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
No DBox that I noticed. These people were old. Probably in their lower 80's. I doubt that they would have spent the bucks on DBox and had just a 46" TV...

As for the circuits, in my previous house, all of the lights in the basement were on one 15 amp circuit, and all of the outlets (minus the bathroom) were on a second 15 amp circuit. That is how it was wired by the builder when he built it for the original buyers before they backed out. No power issues. I could have the home theater up and running, plus all of my arcade equipment and not a single issue.

In this new basement, I am going to have (now) nine 20 amp circuits. Two of those dedicated to the home theater, and nothing else touching that power. I have heard that some people are putting in dedicated circuits just for subs, but others on those same AVS forums are saying that unless you have some massive amount of equipment (like those homes shown in magazines with racks and racks of powered equipment, or some enormous 4 sub setup) that it will be extremely rare that a dedicated circuit will be needed.

Probably one of those, it wouldn't hurt but real life shows that it would be only rarely needed.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #358239 11/07/11 05:47 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Hey, does anyone know if there is such a thing as a 4-gang adjustable switch box? I know that they make 3-gang, 2-gang, and 1-gang, but I need to get 4 light switches into one gang that is adjustable to account for the double drywall.

I could try an "old work" box, but I guess that I would need to make sure that it could handle the thickness, plus it makes the logistics of working with the drywall hangers a little trickier since I want to put putty pads on to the box once it is installed. That would mean that they would have to leave the back side of that wall open while I put it in. Doesn't sound too bad except that I am also going to be scrambling to get the first layer sealed and the second layer GreenGlued. With my luck, they will drywall up the back side while I am working to GG the inside.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #358240 11/07/11 05:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Home Depot linky. Is that what you're looking for?

For the separate sub circuit question - I was thinking not so much of crazy power demands, but just circuit separation for hum/interference issues that seem to manifest more frequently with subwoofers than other equipment. Like you, all of my HT is on the same circuit, sub included, and no issues.

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
Page 6 of 95 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 94 95

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082