Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 127 of 183 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 182 183
Re: What video games are you playing tonight?
Murph #358765 11/16/11 04:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Murph

Does the world difficulty scale equally with your level like Oblivion (meaning there are no high level areas on the map verses low level areas, it just scales everything everywhere to your level.)

I can’t say from experience yet but from what I read yes it is supposed to scale with level mostly. However, some areas are scaled to be inherently harder or easier than others regardless of your level. Also caves and dungeons you enter are not supposed to scale after you’ve entered them once. Once you enter them even if you run away and don’t finish them are supposed to lock in their level based on the level you were when you first entered them. This is based on what I’ve read and haven’t verified it in-game.

Quote:

How do the level and skill advancements work compared to Oblivion. Do you still have to carefully micro-manage your skill advancement and be very careful when you sleep or end up with a high level character with many skills not equal to your level. Given the way the world worked, this made it very easy to end up with a character that got a lot weaker vs. mobs instead of stronger as you level because the world scaled harder but your skills might not have advanced sufficiently.

Leveling is much simpler. You no longer have to micro-manage to ensure “efficient leveling.” Skill increases are still based mostly on use which is what actually tends to define your characters “class” in that you get good at what you do however, here is still training and some skill books. You could still end up with a high level character with little magical ability if you never use magic in-game but again this is going to be based more than anything on your style of play.

About the only micro-managing part of skill increases is what power stone sign you are under at any given time. Rather than picking skills at the beginning that level faster than others you can continuously go back to the power stones and switch between thief, mage, and warrior which allows those associated skills to level 20% faster than the others. So if you want to “game” things a little you can do what I did early on and go exploring under the Warrior sigh to up those combat skill and change to the Thief sign to go into town and sell things and sneak around more to up those thief related skills. Same thing you could go dungeon romping under the mage sign to more quickly boost your magic skills however, sometimes it’ just too much of a pain to go back to the stones and change your sign.

Also, you don’t have to sleep to level up. You can level at any time after you get the signal you’re level increased. I haven’t tried to level during combat but I think you can. Also it’s easier to get perks and choose which ones you want. You get to pick a new perk every time you level, though you can save them and don’t have to choose right away. So no longer to you have to level a skill to 25%, 50%, 75% and 100% to gain bonus in those areas. Note that most advanced perks have prerequisite perks so you can’t just save all your perks and dump them into high level ones later. Also some perks have a minimum skill level requirement also.

Having logged way too many hours leveling in Oblivion this system is vastly superior, easier to use and more fun to play with. A huge improvement IMO.

P.S. Looks like David beat me to it. wink

Last edited by grunt; 11/16/11 04:24 PM.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #358768 11/16/11 05:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Froze again now on a loading screen...not impressed.

I have been reading about these same freezing issues on the PS3 board as well.

Bring on Mass Effect 3!

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #358772 11/16/11 06:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks for the detailed answers guys! Very much appreciated.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #358778 11/16/11 07:24 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
The only thing I'm not looking forward to is reaching the level cap and not being able to get all of the perks. My obsession with an all-powerful character will meet with disappointment.

CV #358790 11/16/11 09:14 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Are you kidding me? Somehow I missed the guardian stones alltogether. I've being doig side quests and dungeon romps since I started.

-David
terzaghi #358810 11/17/11 05:26 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Yeah, I haven't been working on the big quests yet. I always like to beef up my character a bit before I start in on those. The guy at work is already the head of the Thieves Guild. Sounds like he got some swanky light armor.

I'm still not terribly far in, myself. I'm playing the PC version. This article collects a lot of criticisms of the interface, but I hadn't gotten to the point of being annoyed with it yet since I'm not too deep. I can see where they're coming from, so I look forward to the mods.

CV #358811 11/17/11 05:40 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If he is that mad with just the interface I wonder what he will think about the game breaking glitches? I just can't see this game being any fun on a keyboard and mouse, though with the correct hardware should yield some slight graphical improvements over the consoles.

This game needs to get patched first and foremost. Disappointing since there was such a lag period between Oblivion and Skyrim.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
terzaghi #358812 11/17/11 06:00 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: terzaghi
Are you kidding me? Somehow I missed the guardian stones alltogether. I've being doig side quests and dungeon romps since I started.

Did you somehow get separated from the guy that sort of guides you through the “escape” sequence? He lead me right down the trail to them both times I’ve gone through it and even explained what they do.

Thanks for getting the name of them right I forgot it and was too lazy to look it up.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #358814 11/17/11 06:13 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I can see the guys point about “unused” screen space and I agree that selecting items is a little cumbersome but pretty much the same as Fallout 3. However, it looks to me like the developers were trying to take you out of the game as little as possible by leaving you looking at the area you’re in when looking at those menus. Efficiency vs. immersion can be a tough call but I’d say they did get both of them wrong at least some on those screens.

At the risk of jinxing myself I haven’t encountered any major problems that I’m aware of like slowdowns, lockups or crashes. Only minor things like a butterfly sinking into a stone while I was trying to grab it, however the game still let me grab it. My follower got stuck trying to get through doorway and I had to go back and get her. On the first play through of the escape the guy with me wouldn’t leave the room with the mage in it so I finished alone only to have him reappear when I exited.

grunt #358815 11/17/11 08:44 AM
C
CV Offline
C
I haven't encountered any real glitches myself, either. Also, while I'm playing on the PC, I'm using a wired Xbox 360 controller.

Page 127 of 183 1 2 125 126 127 128 129 182 183

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters