Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Several questions from a novice!
#35927 03/03/04 08:55 AM
mothner Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello all! I am so excited to be a part of the Axiom community! I am 22, recently out on my own, and finally have gotten started on a long-awaited home theater and musical adventure. Basically, other than a nice 47inch HD tv, I am starting from scratch!

I feel very much a novice around so many audio experts (even the sound descriptors are a mystery to me), but it makes me feel like I am in the right place for some excellent music and movie enjoyment.

I originally envisioned quality speakers for movie and TV enjoyment, but from what I hear, I am extraordinarily excited to re-visit so much of my massive music collection on these babies!

Okay, so I got inspired a few nights ago and ordered the Epic Midi system (pair of M2i's, pair of QS4's, VP100 and EP125)... and I must be crazy -- I haven't even received the speakers, and I am already asking upgrade questions (or exchange I guess, at such an early juncture). So here goes (this in a rather large living room at the present, but I probably won't live here for too much longer, so pretty much figure an average sized living room if it matters)...

1) If I was to "move up" a couple hundred dollars from the current setup, what route would you guys suggest moving? Perhaps get a pair of M60's instead of the M2i and the EP125? Or just move from the M2 to the M22? I just sort of realized that perhaps I did not create the best situation for upgrading, but on the other hand I could always move the M2's to my bedroom and upgrade to a tower in the future.

2) I had picked out what looked like an extremely well reviewed and priced Panasonic receiver (the SA-HE100s), with 100x6 watts and what seem like pretty good features, but perhaps I should spend a couple hundred more and get a Denon 1804 or 2803 that people have been talking about a lot. I figure I should get something that will last for as long as possible? Any advice here?

3) Overall, I have no real set budget, but I know that since I am making such a huge step from having my TV volume simply pumping through a mini system, I am going to probably have my socks knocked off by just about anything at this point!

Okay, that's pretty much all. I look forward to your replies, feel free to give me any other advice, and I can't tell you how excited I am to start experiencing everything everyone is talking about!

Yours,

Mike

Re: Several questions from a novice!
#35928 03/03/04 10:11 AM
mothner Offline OP
OP Offline
Okay, after some more reading/research, I think I should probably go the Denon/HK/Yamaha route, after seeing the names come up so very often throughout these boards! So, any thoughts/advice between (or outside of) these three, which seem to fit needs/price more than enough (and are all virtually the same price online):

- Yamaha RX-V1400
- Denon AVR-2803
- H/K AVR-430

Once again, thanks in advance for your help... hopefully soon I will be able to help out new(er) users!

- Mike

#35929 03/03/04 12:42 PM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Here's some advice from a new Axiom owner.

I just upgraded my speakers after 20 years. I had a pair of Cerwin Vega C-7 "monsters". About a year ago, I upgraded my receiver and got the Denon 1802. It replaced a 15+ year old Onkyo. Needless to say, I am not one who has shown any signs of being susceptible to upgrade-itis.

I have a large room (16'X 24' with a 16' ceiling). My decision on the M60s for the fronts was rather easy. The surrounds and center were a struggle. I ultimately chose the QS8s and the VP150, because I don't see myself doing this again. In fact, I told my wife that the next speakers I buy will be for our condo when we retire (I'm 45).

I haven't purchased a sub yet, but from what everyone says, the SVS and HSU subs are the way to go.

Bottom line...if the funds are there, I wouldn't short change your purchase. BUT, if funds are tight you could always buy them in steps. Also, even though a lot of us will recommend the M60,QS8,VP150 setup, the other alternatives from Axiom are by no means "bad choices". For example, I will probably never hear the VP100 center or the QS4s. If I would have bought them instead, I am sure I would have been happy, since I would not have the VP150 and QS8s to compare with. And like you, coming from an old pair of speakers, you will be very happy with whatever you choose from Axiom and the customer service IS that good!

BTW, my speakers sound GREAT!!!!

Good Luck, John

#35930 03/03/04 02:52 PM
local
local
I have the RX-V1400, and it's good. But if you're planning on any SACD or DVD-A music, note most receivers cannot use their integrated bass management for these sources. However the H/K AVR430 has bass management for 6-channel analog inputs, which is nice.

#35931 03/03/04 05:11 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hi Mike,

Welcome. Sounds like you will be enjoying a HT experience that is the envy of all your friends at a fairly young age. Congratulations on excellent choices.

I think you will be delighted for years to come with the VP100 and QS4's and that if you want to spend more money on your system at this time, it is better spent elsewhere.

Two observations come to mind. First, you ARE going to be moving this stuff around, probably a number of times, over the next few years. Consequently, I would hesitate to invest in the M60's at this time. They are wonderful speakers, but really do require a bit of room to thrive, and I would not want to move them around a lot. M22's are universally loved, have a very similar sound profile, cost only $145 more than M2's and don't weigh nearly as much as a tower speaker. I'd buy those.

Second, you'll never be sorry for having bought "the good one". I'm a little concerned that you could be under-spending on the sub in the long term. I would look into a good 10" sub (EP175, Hsu STF-2 or VTF-2 or maybe even the 12" SVS PB1-ISD).

Regarding the receiver, shop for features and price. All of the options you cited (including the Panasonic) would serve you well, I'm sure. If your budget requires you to cut corners, I would get a $400-500 receiver and upgrade the mains and sub instead of getting a $700-800 receiver. I have a Denon 1804 and like it very much because it fits my modest needs. I have no intention of going to separates or multi-channel audio anytime soon. For two-channel and HT at goodly volumes, it suffices nicely. The HK and Yamaha models you mention are excellent too, but do cost a bit more.

Point being, I'm not very concise today. No wait, the point was you'll be hearing the main speakers ALL THE TIME (whether for HT or music), but not necessarily using all the "features" of the receiver (or even the surrounds or center) constantly. And the M22/Sub combo is popular and satisfying for good reason.

Let us know how it goes!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#35932 03/03/04 05:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
From what you've said, here's my suggestions.

1) Listen to what you've ordered. You may love it just as it is.

2) If you must make changes - try this.
a) Order a pair of M22ti's and use them as mains, and use the M2i's in another room. (or simply exchange the M2i's for the M22ti's)
b) Send back the EP125 and order a Hsu STF-2

Changing your receiver will make the least amount of difference.

Good luck, and be sure to let us know what you think when they arrive!

#35933 03/03/04 06:41 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
The only thing I can add to the excellent advice already given is to build your HT in a piecemeal fashion so that you don't have to carry a large balance on your credit card. I takes a lot of patience, but the savings is very much worth it.

I made the mistake of putting a receiver and 5 speakers on my card all at once and it took a long time to pay them off.

#35934 03/03/04 07:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That was in no way a reference to our state props 57 and 58 was it?

#35935 03/03/04 07:41 PM
mothner Offline OP
OP Offline
Thanks for the replies and the advice!

The good news is that this is all being easily paid for by a great weekend in Vegas, so that my "bookmarked" Axiom Audio pages are turning into a reality with no credit cards to worry about.

Based on your replies and some more research, I ordered the Yamaha 1400, the HSU STF-2 sub, and am going to upgrade from the M2's to the M22's. I just hope the Axiom guys don't get too annoyed at my indecisiveness (or rather my jumping the gun a few days ago).

Now it's just a matter of sitting around for a week until everything gets here and I can do some serious listening!

- Mike

#35936 03/03/04 07:47 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Haha. Spiff, what's 12billion. Chump change right?

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044