Print Thread
Rate Thread
Upgrade
#359472 11/27/11 03:00 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I'm thinking of maybe upgrading my son's system that I bought him 2 years ago. Then he had a plasma tv mounted on a tv stand, so I bought a Pioneer Receiver and 2 M3 v2's. His plasma tv went out, so he bought a 47inch LG LCD with edgelit LED that he says won't mount to the stand that he has. I may run out there today and take a look at it and see if there is any way to mount it on the wall instead. If I can, I might give him my 2 on-wall M22's and buy him an on-wall VP150 to mount underneith it for a christmas present. I'll have to bring along my wall stud finder and see where to mount the TV.

My m22's are mounted in studs. Has anyone mounted them in the wall without going into studs with any success? Also, where are the mounting brackets on the back of the on-wall VP150? Are they moveable to align with studs?

I'm not a big fan of the on-wall speakers, but for his setup with 2 rug-rats running around, this would probably be the better option.

(With my on-wall M22's gone, it also gives me a good excuse to buy the M50's to place under bookshelf M22's mounted above them on the wall.)

Last edited by CatBrat; 11/27/11 03:06 PM.
Re: Upgrade
CatBrat #359484 11/27/11 06:19 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I'm thinking of maybe upgrading my son's system that I bought him 2 years ago. Then he had a plasma tv mounted on a tv stand, so I bought a Pioneer Receiver and 2 M3 v2's. His plasma tv went out, so he bought a 47inch LG LCD with edgelit LED that he says won't mount to the stand that he has. I may run out there today and take a look at it and see if there is any way to mount it on the wall instead. If I can, I might give him my 2 on-wall M22's and buy him an on-wall VP150 to mount underneith it for a christmas present. I'll have to bring along my wall stud finder and see where to mount the TV.

My m22's are mounted in studs. Has anyone mounted them in the wall without going into studs with any success? Also, where are the mounting brackets on the back of the on-wall VP150? Are they moveable to align with studs?

I'm not a big fan of the on-wall speakers, but for his setup with 2 rug-rats running around, this would probably be the better option.

(With my on-wall M22's gone, it also gives me a good excuse to buy the M50's to place under bookshelf M22's mounted above them on the wall.)

The on-wall M22s should be no problem mounting on the wall without having to have access to the studs, according to the specs. they are a little under 12 lbs. ea. so weight shouldn't create a problem. I have found in the past, in order to place the speakers in their proper position, the studs aren't always where you want them anyway so one has to improvise.

Of course, you should still have some sort of plug to put the screw in to. The best I have found for this application when there are no studs is a metal type plug(Home Depot) that expands in an umbrella-like fashion inside the wall when you put the screw in to it. Somewhat similar to a butterfly plug concept but much shorter. You drill the hole first, put the metal plug in like you would a plastic one, screw the screw in so the inside of the plug expands, after that then remove the screw, put up your mount then put the screw back in the plug and mount your speaker. Because it grips the inside of the wall, it is quite sturdy and much better and more secure than a plastic plug.

casey01 #359492 11/27/11 08:12 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I figured I'd find something like that, that would hug the wall from the inside for a good fasten. Also, after looking at the pictures of the on-wall VP150, there are 4 hangers on the back side of it. So, I assume that I would probably use the same type of fastener for it, where there would be no stud behind the wall.

I've called my son and his family today, but no response. If he goes shopping for another tv stand to reuse the same M3's then it's his loss.

CatBrat #359493 11/27/11 08:21 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Problem solved. He doesn't want it mounted on the wall. Just buy a new stand that works instead, for a simplier solution.

CatBrat #359531 11/28/11 12:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
I'm not a big fan of the on-wall speakers....

But... but...but...

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #359533 11/28/11 01:02 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
LOL. But, I couldn't say that if I didn't have any experience with them....

Those on-wall M22's will go away when I buy some M50's, then move the bookshelf M22's up to their place. Then the only one left will be the in/on wall VP150, which I don't currently have an issue with. The M2 at the top is a bookshelf speaker. It doesn't add much to the overall sound, except to help anchor sound to the center a bit.

If the M80's are a 10, then I'd rate the bookshelf M22's an 8, and the on-wall M22's a 6. But, that's my preference. To me, it seems that cabinet volume means everything when it comes to sound quality. This is not a stab at Axiom. I think they did an exceptional job with them. It's just a physical limitation of the design, regurdless of who the manufacturer is.

You can't beat the on-wall speakers for looks, which is what most people seem to want today. But I think that you will sacrafice some sound quality in that decision.

Last edited by CatBrat; 11/28/11 01:20 PM.
CatBrat #359538 11/28/11 01:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Heheh, I remember your great reviews as you trialed a few combinations in there. I just couldn't resist the opportunity to have some fun.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #359543 11/28/11 02:14 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I understand. I would have done the same thing.

After thinking about it, I'd prabably give the M22 on-wall a 6.5 instead of a lowly 6. I haven't heard the in/on-wall M22's. Just guessing, a 6.5 for the on-wall, and a 7 for the in/on-wall.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044