Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 11 of 95 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 94 95
Re: Maybe I should start a v4.0 build thread somewhere
nickbuol #359432 11/26/11 08:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's interesting, my 100lb German Shepherd's name is Sampson, and he uses one of the M-60's/ep-600 as a back rest when he lay's down...

Why not set the stereo stuff up in the bedroom, until the basement is done?

nickbuol #359894 12/02/11 12:32 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So I am away this week on business and I find out today that the new projector should be shipping out next week. Crap. I will have all of the electronics minus the bluray player, and no room to put it all in. I told my wife that we should hook it all up ok the living room in the meantime. She said no, that I need the incentive to finish the basement.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #359925 12/02/11 03:05 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
recommend the bedroom, this way she will have an incentive to provide you with the moral support you need to continue with the project.

nickbuol #360129 12/04/11 06:08 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So I was out of town all week for work, and then out of town last weekend for Thanksgiving. It felt good to get back to working in the basement. I started stripping off the outer jacket of all of the Romex (electrical wiring) and trimming them down to about 7" sticking out of all of the outlets/switch/light boxes. That took a while.

I also finally ran the power for the wet bar's pendant lights, ran a 3rd subwoofer cable (it will be tied in to one of the others just to give me a second placement option for the second sub), realized that somehow I forgot to connect half of the bedroom wiring when I re-ran all of the "home runs" to the circuit breaker so I fixed that...

I ran the final coax cable to the office, added the final outlet to the bathroom, put wire "staples" over a lot of the still loose wiring running in the ceiling and up various studs...

Then tonight, I decided to get some of the permanant lighting wired up to switches to that when the time comes I can pull out all of the old wiring and still be able to see. I now have working lights in the game room, wet bar (main lights, not the pendants until after drywall, but they got tested anyway), the hallway, the family room, the finished closet that we will store out German board games and Wii/XBox stuff like guitars/drums...

Tomorrow I hope to get the office lights working (the power for the lights go through 8 electrical outlet boxes first, so it will take a little effort), and some of the bathroom lighting.

The home theater lighting is going to be recessed into the soffets AFTER the drywall is up, and the wall sconces obviously will need drywall first too. I will have to wire them all together and at least test continuity to make sure that they are all good, but they should be perfectly fine.

One thing that I am not looking forward to is connecting up all of the outlets. Since each room is made up of many outlets that just run in series (physically, not electronically as they would be in "parallel"... you get my point), I need to pigtail both sets of wires in each box to a third wire so that the third wire is all that is connecting to the outlet. It seems so stupid since the outlets have 2 screws for the white wires, and 2 screws for the black wires, but code says that you can only connect a single white and single black to the outlet. So dumb in my opinion....

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #360130 12/04/11 06:19 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Oh, I forgot to mention that I also ordered my color changing LED rope light and a special adapter that allows even more color/brightness control plus an option to have it "flash" to music and such. I probably won't use that feature, but I can see the kids and their friends getting a kick out of it. I wired up that outlet too. smile

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #360142 12/04/11 04:25 PM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Those sound like some fun lights.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #360146 12/04/11 05:55 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You're a monster, Nick. I can't believe all the stuff you get "done".

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
nickbuol #360277 12/07/11 05:54 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Last night I didn't get anything done because I was enjoying a band/choir concert at the high school, and tonight was a bit time limited, but I managed to get the remaining 6 outlets and the main switch boxes covered with mt own very of putty pads (I think I mentioned it before. Comes as a brick, tear it into 2 pieces, work it into two sheets, and cover a single gang outlet/switch box with each piece, or use one whole brick for up to a 3 gang box).

Anyway, it takes a little time, but that is done. I also had 4 studs that decided to twist on me since I put them up. They all had, of course, outlets or switch boxes on them, so I needed to twist them even more to make sure that at least the box is perpendicular to the future drywall. Easier said than done, but they are just that... Done.

I also had to completely rewire a "floor outlet" that I put in to the living room upstairs. Half of the outlet was on a switch in the living room, which was fine, but the other have was wired to the older wiring in the basement that I am now going to pull completely out. Oh, and there were junction boxes involved too. They had to go. That took almost 90 minutes of fishing wire from the basement, up throw the ceiling and into a wall cavity, and then wiring it all up.

Tomorrow I plan to finally line up all of the can lights, and crimp them to the mounting "rails" so that they are linted up perfectly with each other. I also have a little bit of light framing to do around the basement breaker box, and I need to put a low voltage box in to the office since it will be the "hub" for internet coming into the house and being hard wired out to the living room, office itself, home theater, and future family room. That will be super quick. Then I will do another walk around to see what other small things I could be missing, like a wire staple here or there, and then I will start cleaning everything up. My goal is to have the basement completely ready for inspection by next week. If I really get my act together, I could possibly even shoot for an inspection this Friday afternoon as I have to burn some vacation time before the end of the year, and I have the afternoon off.

It is crazy how it just all of a sudden is coming together.

I will take some pictures tomorrow night of some of the details of the home theater...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #360278 12/07/11 06:01 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Oh, I almost forgot, I should be getting my sample of some Seymour Center Stage XD screen material tomorrow. My color changing LED rope lights should be here too. I ordered them plus that music controller option, but got an email from Amazon that my package was essentially destroyed in some accident. The rope lights themselves will be here since they are shipping right from Amazon and they waived the overnight shipping, but the controller (which WAS originally shipping from Amazon) is shipping from some 3rd party, so it will be another 7-8 business days for that. Oh well.

Biggest news is that the projector is shipping tomorrow (Thursday). I should have it by Tuesday of next week.

I am going to order my Green Glue tomorrow to get it coming, and the seating probably the week before Christmas. I don't need them yet, but need to get them bought and paid for before the end of the year. We have to start applying for financial aid for our oldest for college, and we were told by someone we know who works for a university admissions/aid office that we need to get as much money out of our checking/savings accounts as possible before the end of December. Since the money we have is earmarked specifically to finish the basement and other improvements, it seems silly that we would have to count it like we always have that kind of cash lying around. Anything else we will see about pre-paying for things, or buying Menards/Home Depot/Lowes gift cards or something. Worse case, we do owe my in-laws a good chunk of money that we borrowed a couple of years ago. We could just pay that back too.

Anyway, enough of the goofy economics. The good part is that things are getting done, and gear is starting to ship/arrive.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #360279 12/07/11 06:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Nick, how did the studs "twist" did you toe nail them when you put them up?

I look forward to seeing your updated photos.

Page 11 of 95 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 94 95

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters