Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: how many of you guys have a Turntable?
J. B. #360286 12/07/11 01:02 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
Originally Posted By: J. B.
i wanted to try my new scientific calculator, so i took the number of transistors in both my cpu and gpu (Q6600 G0 + Nvidia GTX 280) and converted those to a set of tubes that would be separated one from another by 2.5 in. on a board (around 25 tubes per square ft.)

a board containing all those 1 982 000 000 tubes would occupy a space of 2.84 square miles.
in my pc, the total area of those transistors occupy only a few square inches.

when i wrote this above, i expected someone to reply something like:
haha, i could have done that in my head, no need for a scientific calculator!

J. B. #360584 12/10/11 04:09 PM
G
GTZ Offline
old hand
old hand
G
Back to the topic, I have a turntable hooked up to the recroom rig. My son, who is really into music and has a 4 string and a 5 string bass guitar, enjoys listening to some of my albums from the 70's and 80's. I don't think the Climax Blues Band, Edgar Winter, and other good music from that era ever made it to CD.

M80's, VP150, QS8's (all V3) Epic Sentinel Sub
Powered by Pioneer Elite
GTZ #360589 12/10/11 06:00 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
Looks like those two did make it to CD, if you were interested.

CV #360593 12/10/11 08:16 PM
devotee
devotee
I do. I play records at least 50% of the time.

And guess what? Vinyl still sounds better than cds. grin

Of course, you need a good record pressing, turntable, cartridge set-up, phono pre, etc.

Alan, you need to dust off that turntable and do an a/b comparison sometime. You have forgotten how deep, rich and real vinyl sounds. You seem to only remember the flaws.

Yes, vinyl is a flawed delivery medium, but it is still %100 analog and conveys a quality that continues to elude the ones and zeros.

It is 2011 and digital still cannot truly sound like the best analog. It flattens it, hardens it and loses a certain punch, depth of audio field and realness... and for a lack of a better word, soul. Why is that?

Go to any professional music or movie production forum and read what is still being debated about the subject (digital vs. analog).

Analog still wins out over digital. Film is preferred over HD video, tape/analog processing is preferred over digital.

One day digital may be the perfect medium for capturing analog "events", but for now it lacks something that the "math" has not fully explained.

And it ain't just nostalgia...

"Art is making something out of nothing and selling it."
---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #360595 12/10/11 08:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Are Pro-Ject turntables any good?

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
audiosavant #360597 12/10/11 08:46 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
there has never been a perfect way of reproduction, there is none now, and i don't think there will ever be.
every means of reproduction has its own problems, and sometimes, the source of the problems is the producers themselves.

the word "perfect" is, in reality, a pure fiction, like eternal, pure, etc...

you should try and play some sine waves and look at them on an oscilloscope to see what happens at high volumes and also in the inner parts of an analog disc; better yet, to illustrate how attacks are reproduced, see what a square wave looks like on the leading edge of the wave.

Last edited by J. B.; 12/10/11 08:55 PM.
BlueJays1 #360599 12/10/11 09:35 PM
devotee
devotee
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
Are Pro-Ject turntables any good?

Very much so!

Check out the Needle Doctor if your interested in vinyl, they are a great resource.

---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #360601 12/10/11 10:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ahh that's good. Are their budget turntables <$500 worth it, or are there better options out there (not buying used)?

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #360611 12/11/11 12:05 AM
devotee
devotee
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1
Ahh that's good. Are their budget turntables <$500 worth it, or are there better options out there (not buying used)?

There's a lot of bang-for-the-buck with entry level stuff from ProJect, Music Hall, Sota, Rega, etc.

But you can easily spend another $500.00 just for a quality cart/stylus!

I think the $1200.00 range is where you get the best "bang" when it comes to turntables these days but I wouldn't hesitate to jump on one of these if my budget was $500.00:

Music Hall MMF-2.2

Check out the reviews and videos on YouTube. They also have a lot of good instructional stuff for setting up your kit out there.

---Frank Zappa

audiosavant #360615 12/11/11 12:24 AM
dakkon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
This is another budget turntable that gets pretty good reviews.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Rega-RP1-Turntable?sc=2&category=46

Also, for the Rega's there are a lot of upgrades that one can make to improve the quality of play back. I decided not to get a rega, because if i do choose to "upgrade" i will buy another table, and didn't want to wind up buying small upgrades for an entry level table (i know i would have wanted to "tinker" and modify it), and wind up having way more $$ into the table than i planned on.

I only have 2 records right now, and they are both in pretty horrible condition. However, i can say there IS a difference in the "sound" between the vinyl that i have and all of the digital music i have heard on the same system.. Can i say it sounds better.. nope, but it is different.. I also got to experience some of the "ticks and pops " that Alan was talking about.. However, it made for a different experience, maybe imperfection is more enjoyable for some, the imperfection adds to the experience.

So, for now i am stuck with my 2 records, one of which is an Iron Maiden record that i bought at a garage sale when i was around 10, because as Alan pointed out the artwork is pretty interesting on some of these records...

I am going to try to get some Jimi Hendrix, and Lenny Kravitz records soon. I went to half price books yesterday, but they did not have anything that i was interested in. Going though the records was a new experience for me though, you don't get the same experience from pushing the "download now" button....

bluejay, there was a project 2.1 turntable on CL in my area for 150$, used... The same guy had the Dual CS5000 that i wound up buying. Members of the vinyl form i have joined said the Dual would be a MUCH wiser buy. I made the conscious decision to buy used, because...

A) if i decide that vinyl is not my thing... if i buy something that is fully depreciated then i should get close to 100% of my money back upon resale.

B) if i decide i like vinyl and want to upgrade, i will be able to sell my first table for close to 100%, due to it being fully depreciated.. laugh

I bought this preamp, it seems to be the most popular and highest regarded in the price range i wanted to be within.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Cambridge-Audio-Azur-640P-Phono-Preamp?sc=2&category=35249

If you look at the vinylengine link i posted earlier, there is a 40page thread on how to DIY upgrade this preamp, if you are handy with a soldering iron and want to tinker with the electronics.

Last edited by dakkon; 12/11/11 12:26 AM.
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters