connoisseur
connoisseur
That's a beautiful room.

Re: Maybe I should start a v4.0 build thread somewhere
INANE #358578 11/13/11 08:04 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So today was another day of many things going on... We went looking at a few cars for my daughter, spent some time doing more fall yard work (almost done with that), and I didn't get started in the basement today until about 7:30 pm. Well, now it is 1:40 am and I just got out of the shower.

I spent a lot of time doing some measurements and planning, plus some trial and error with the soffits and the can lights that are going in to them. I had Home Depot rip me some OSB for the sides and bottom of the soffits. This was a huge help, and Home Depot does it for free (Lowes does a total of 10 cuts regardless of how many pieces you have or how much you spend).

I started by putting up the sides first. That wasn't too terribly bad, however, each piece needed to have a number of screws started in the OSB so that I could hold it up in place, make sure that it was lined up, and put the screws in. That meant some measuring and marking of the pieces. That wasn't too bad but was time consuming.

Next, I was getting ready to put the bottom pieces on, but before I did, I marked the locations of the backer boxes, and made several measurements to calculate (tomorrow) where the can light holes need to be cut. I picked up a 3" hole saw today, but alas, it is just a bit too small of a hole. The nice size available was 3 1/4" which was too big. Oh well. I took a scrap piece of OSB (5/8"), cut it in half and screwed the halves together. That is when I tried the 3" hole saw and cut through both pieces of OSB. The second piece was to simulate the drywall layer. When the 3" hole didn't work, I tried a few other things... Since it was mainly the wiring box of the can lights that was getting stuck, I tried using a Dremel with no success minus some burning wood, I tried to mark where the corners of the box would go and drilled some holes and then cut another 3" circle. The holes basically turned into notches in the circle. The box fit, but then the light was a bit too tight. So I just got out the reciprocating saw and just cut the hole a little bit bigger. After some messing around with the two built in clamps on the light, it fit nicely into the double thick hole. Now that I knew that the lights would work, I went back to putting the bottom boards up.

So I made those marks for the backer boxes on the side pieces that were already up, and then started putting the bottom OSB pieces on.

These are about twice as wide as the sides are tall, and they were a bit more challenging to get aligned and screwed into position.

A second person would have been a huge help with this.

So now, I just have 2 custom size pieces of OSB to cut out tomorrow and put up. They aren't where any lights go, but I want to get them in place. I will then finish calculating the light locations exactly, mark them, and cut them out.

I would put my acoustical caulk up, but the inspector may want me to take dome some of the OSB, so for now, they will just stay screwed into position, although, I may take down the pieces that are getting one of the 12 can light holes cut. It will be easier to do that on a work surface than over my head.

By the way, I found out that I *CAN* connect 3 sets of the color changing LEDs up to a single power supply and run them all from one remote. A nice person at AVS (yeah, I know "nice" and "AVS" don't always go together) tested this out for me. He took down two of his sets, and connected them together to try it out for me. So that helps. I will just use a remodel box or a single gang adjustable box for the outlet and put it up in the soffit part that will end up behind the false screen wall.

So after this, I still need to wire up electrical outlets along the room for code and subwoofers, plus the outlet mentioned above, one for the projector, and one on a switch for my star ceiling panel. Then, all of a sudden, my list of items to do pre-inspection (and thus pre-drywall) is almost done.

Well, time for bed. I'll see about snapping a couple of photos tomorrow of the soffits.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #358593 11/13/11 09:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you spend half as much effort in constructing everything as you do explaining it, you'll have one nice basement!

:-)

INANE #358595 11/13/11 10:15 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
LOL I hear ya...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #358860 11/17/11 10:14 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So last night I got a number of things done. Of course, it meant a lot of tearing things out just to put stuff in.

I had to take down the vapor barrier and insulation from the outside walls of the home theater. I then had to measure and run outlets for the room and equipment rack. This seems easy, but getting them all within 12 feet of the next outlet, and somewhat symmetrical with the outlets on the other side of the room took some time.

After I had them wired up, I wanted to use something like "Putty Pads" to seal up the outlets and wall sconces. I had been tipped off to this "Duct Seal" compound over at AVS that is real similar, but comes in a block that you need to flatten out yourself. It really wasn't hard to do, and a single block that cost less that $2 a block) covered two single gang outlets really easily. Probably could have even managed 3 single gang outlets per block, but the stuff was cheap, why make it too thin.

So I sealed them up, and then back went the insulation and wrap. It took a little longer than I wanted do to my corded drill died on me, and I was working with my cordless to drill holes in the studs to run the wiring. Normally not a problem, but one of my two battery packs was dead from the night before (I went through 2 batteries pretty quick last night, and only have 1 charger) and the other battery pack made it most of the way through all of the studs before dying, but with a 3/4" spade bit, cordless was pretty slow.

Tonight I need to add the star ceiling outlet and the rope light outlet which both need to run to the switch box. I need to also run the projector electric, and put some more Duct Seal on a few outlets. I need to re-run an outlet in the wet bar area quick. Not a big deal. And get power to the wet bar lights. Hopefully I will also get 1 more outlet ran in the bathroom, and that will make for a pretty full night. It is gaming night after all, so I only have a few hours.

I need to make a box to try to muffle where the video cables come through the ceiling, and cut 2 additional odd-ball pieces of OSB for the bottom of the soffits, but they are small easy pieces. After that, I am down to the small stuff, like testing all audio/video/network connections in the whole basement, and crimping the can lights to the "hanger bars" once I have them absolutely lined up. I need to strip the outer sheathing on all outlets and switches and label them so that they can be tucked into the boxes easier for the drywall stage. I will wire up all of the new lights as a test and to make the next step easier... I then need to pull out all of the old lights and wiring for the old lights. Then it is clean up, including the tear down of my 3' x 8' workbench and tools.

When I am ready to start building in the theater again, I think that I will just need my compound miter saw and table saw to do a bulk of the work, so the whole workbench will just stay disassemble until spring.

So it is moving along.

Here is a link to the Duct Seal Compound I am using.
Gardner Bender Duct Seal Compound
The packaging in the store was different than this, but the product number was the same.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #358861 11/17/11 10:35 PM
shareholder in the making
wow, you are going crazy, I just used sealant and expand foam spray

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #358862 11/17/11 10:55 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
The theater is right below our master bedroom, so that is why I am trying to do what I can within reason. I mean, some people are spending $10,000 and up just on sound proofing per builds I am seeing at AVS. If this product seals nicely and costs about 50 cents a box, then that works for me.

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #359118 11/22/11 11:44 PM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
So for those not in the loop, I ordered an Onkyo TX-NR709 receiver today. Pretty sweet receiver for a pretty sweet Black Friday Week price.

EDIT:
Holy Crap! I just got my shipping notice from OneCall... I will have to see if it is actually in transit later tonight, or if someone just printed my shipping label.

Last edited by nickbuol; 11/22/11 11:46 PM. Reason: holy crapness

Farewell - June 4, 2020
nickbuol #359220 11/24/11 03:54 AM
J
J
Wow! That was quick, hopefully you beat the shipping rush that is going to follow thie weekend causing a bit of a back log.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #359226 11/24/11 04:13 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
My tracking number says that it is scheduled for a Saturday delivery in 3 days. I am at my relatives' about an hour and 15 minutes away. I might need to make a quick trip home on Saturday to sign for it...

Farewell - June 4, 2020
Page 9 of 95 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 94 95

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020