Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: audioholics
casey01 #361868 12/26/11 05:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I looked at the avs thread, as well as a couple threads linked within those posts as well. Casey brings up a good point about the Classe Audio amps. They also list Krell, and McIntosh as other companies products that they "upgrade". I wonder if this individual has a bachelors, masters or even PhD in electrical engineering? How could he know more about electrical engineering than these companies, that do not compromise on the components that they use? I could understand upgrading a product that has been manufactured at a certain price point, and did possibly use components that were more cost effective, and could be replaced with better performing products manufactured to a tighter tolerance.

I have had Onkyo,Marantz,NAD, and Krell products. Honestly, i can not tell a difference between the NAD and Krell processors that i currently have. There is also no audible difference to me between my Marantz amp and my Krell amps. The ONLY difference between my amps, is the amount of power they are able to put out.

I currently have a Krell processor, and Krell amps powering my Axiom speakers. I like my axiom speakers. I think for the money the Axiom speakers are an extremely good value. Have i heard better speakers? Sure, however they cost 20k$ a pair.....

dakkon #361957 12/27/11 06:27 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Here again, as someone who has been around the A/V business as long as I have and seen most if not all what some people perceive in their minds as being money "well spent", charlatans like the Upgrade Company will, unfortunately, continue to exist. Do all these suckers not realize that pretty well all the parts that are being replaced to provide this so-called "superior" sound, are made in the same part of the world(Far East), similar parts to those that are in the unit already? It never ceases to amaze me what people will buy!

When it comes to this stuff, luckily for us, we know better.

casey01 #361972 12/27/11 09:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You have to consider that for some people, in any hobby,the "upgrade" or "tweak" itself is the hobby more than what it may do.
I know guys that tweak the hell out of their home computers and gain an extra 200-400mhz from the cpu.
Benchmarks even show some gains in some ways, of course, but how does this fundamentally change the functionality of my computer?

My OS opens up a whopping 2 seconds faster.
Yee haw.
My first person shooter game now gets me 4 more FPS going from 50 fps to 54 fps.
Yee haw.
My MS Office saves my file 0.01 seconds faster.
Oh boy, let's tweak some more, i can't get enough {sarcasm}.

I couldn't care less about such minimal gains (if any occur at all) from tweaking in any hobby, but to some, the tweak is part of that fun and charm.
How far you go, and how much you pay, depends on how fanatical you are about the hobby.

You'll find purists, antagonists and perfectionists in any hobby out there; cars, bikes, photography, video, audio, sports (anyone here think power drinks are anything more than KoolAid with a pinch of salt that actually hydrate a body any better or quicker than uh, plain old water?).

The hard part is just ignoring their blathering myths rather than being drawn into a constant and never ending circular argument of nonsense.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #361974 12/27/11 09:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: chesseroo
The hard part is just ignoring their blathering myths rather than being drawn into a constant and never ending circular argument of nonsense.

Well! There goes all the fun.

I'm not usually part of the "never ending circular argument," but it's so much fun loitering outside the cirlce and shooting suction-cup arrows at all of the wagons.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #361994 12/28/11 02:27 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Geez. All this talk about circling wagons and flaming suction cup arrows had me ready for a rip roaring flame thread.

First Reflection made an all to sensible post in #6. Other than the moron that started the thread and Gene's one poke, its pretty sensible stuff. Boring really...

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #362072 12/28/11 10:46 PM
G
gwg Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
G
my axioms sure sounded great with the new immersion wish you were 5.1 blu ray disc.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters