Rate Thread
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Re: Myths & Facts About Crossovers
INANE #362470 01/03/12 06:10 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Most of my friends haven't spent anywhere near what I have on my M80s let alone the rest of the system, they think I am crazy too.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #362480 01/03/12 12:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm surrounded by Bose enthousists.

INANE #362505 01/03/12 03:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The B&W's that i have are made in China. However, by looking at them you would never imagine they were made in China, the fit and finish are astounding. I think a lot of it is the quality controls that companies impose on their Chinese manufacturing partners. To a certain degree any product that is produced with tight QC controls will be more expensive. With that being said, i am not defending B&W's margin, i am sure that there is a decent amount of "snobbery" built into their bottom line.

Wilsons, are made in the USA. They use focal drivers, that are sourced and then taken apart and re-built at the facility in Utah. If you read about the history of the company and man behind Wilson it is quite interesting.

I am also of the opinion that Axiom is a VERY good value for what you buy. Also like almost everyone else Axiom has taken care of me. To the point that Casey makes, with the globalization of business today, almost every company today sources parts from China, or other parts of the globe with low wage rates. One of the few things that can set a company apart today is their customer service and that is a pretty big part of my buying decision.

MarkSJohnson #362506 01/03/12 03:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Stop feeding the effin' troll, guys.....

Yes, Mark, once again you offer the definitive solution, and no one heeds your call.

I think the regs here simply feel freer to bash a "visiting" dork, that to do it to each other.

+1

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
BobKay #362508 01/03/12 03:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: BobKay
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Stop feeding the effin' troll, guys.....

Yes, Mark, once again you offer the definitive solution, and no one heeds your call.

I think the regs here simply feel freer to bash a "visiting" dork, that to do it to each other.

+1

Yup

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #362512 01/03/12 04:58 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
A buddy of mine with more money than sense has a dedicated listening room for his two channel rig. Only one seat, just for him. He likes Scotch and cigars too, so he just sits there with his Scotch and cigar smoke listening to tunes. He recently moved from a set of Wilsons to a set of B&W's. I don't know the model numbers of each, but the Wilson's were ridiculously large, as well as ridiculous in appearance. They looked like that robot on lost in space back in the 70's. The B&W's look like a big assed giant eardrum in piano black. His electronics are a mix of things I do not recall but I know MacIntosh and Mark Levinson are in the mix, along with cables supported on little tri-pods that glow in the dark.

I was not all that impressed with either. Don't get me wrong, his set up sounds quite spectacular, but hell, I think mine does too! I just couldn't understand what the big deal was and why anyone in their right mind would spend that kind of money on a stereo system. Visions of a 430 Scuderia kept running through my head.

But that's what trips his trigger, and he's got the money, so I'm happy for him. I still give him crap about it whenever I can, but I don't think him a fool either, he just has different priorities than I do. He gives me crap about spending the money I do on wine....

I'll keep my Axioms and drive a Scud, other than spending that kind of money on high end audio gear any day......well, if I actually HAD that kind of money to blow that is.

CatBrat #362513 01/03/12 05:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
It's hard to see how corian, or any other material, would make them sound better. So far, everything I've heard is that pressed wood adds the least coloration, or resonance, to the sound.

I did read up on corian some. I see what your point is now. I just wonder if the extra trouble to use corian would make an audible difference.

I have always liked the idea of Bamboo Ply for enclosures in the higher end designs. We are starting to see some speakers made out of this material now as a substitute for MDF.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
michael_d #362514 01/03/12 05:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: michael_d
more money than sense

The former begets deterioration of the latter.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
CatBrat #362516 01/03/12 05:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Axiom customers frequent Axiom forums because they like the product for what it is. They know there are better speakers out there, but they are not willing, or able, to pay the exorbitant prices they are asking for them. Niche needed. Niche filled. No one is debunking the other products, except you.

I think Brian has made the definitive statement here; all-inclusive, yet succinct. Can't imagine many of us feeling differently. Go, Cat!

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Ya_basta #362538 01/03/12 08:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Powertothepeople
Originally Posted By: michael_d
more money than sense

The former begets deterioration of the latter.

That's what all poor people say. grin

Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020