Print Thread
Rate Thread
Haw far are your L & R speakers from the TV
#36241 03/06/04 11:44 AM
regular
OP Offline
regular
A question to axiom owners...

I can only place the L&R speakers right next to the TV due to space constraint. The TV is a CRT (Sony 34XBR910). What type of magnetic interference will a M22 or M50/60 produce on my TV screen?

Has someone tried to place the speakers next to the TV? What is the effect?

Cheers

Re: Haw far are your L & R speakers from the TV
#36242 03/06/04 02:13 PM
devotee
devotee
My M60s do not interfere with my 65" Mits no matter where I put them. I've had them set up less than 4" away a few times.

Hope this helps.

M- M60s/VP150/QS8s/SVS PC-Ultra/HK630 Sit down. Shut up. Listen.
#36243 03/06/04 03:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
On the web page for each Axiom Speaker, you'll find the following:

All Axiom Tower (and Bookshelf) Speakers feature:

Titanium Tweeters
Aluminum Woofers (and Midranges where applicable)
Anti-Standing-Wave cabinets that suppress internal resonances which color sound
Video-shielded for maximum placement options
Vortex-ported cabinets to reduce port noise
5-way gold-plated binding posts

The video shielding should protect your TV set. You can place the speakers just about anywhere you want without interfering with your TV.

How do you like your Sony? It's a very highly rated set.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
#36244 03/07/04 06:40 AM
regular
OP Offline
regular
Thanks for the note. I've been reading everything from this site....except that "video shielding" part!

The 34" Sony XBR is excellent when viewing from HD signal or DVD. I think the color is unmatched by any other CRT out there - maybe even some plasma. It is also very sharp in Hi-Def. I could not believe all the details when I watched MN football with this TV. The crowd shots are just unbelievably detailed. The display is fairly bright during the day, under indirect sun light. It also has a DVI input for digital video. I tried it with the new Samsung DVD player (with DVI). I think the DVD movie looked a bit smoother. But, probably not by much - just my unscientific opinion.

People who seen the TV have been impressed. I have it for 4 month now. No complaints. I think it was a good buy (although this was a gift from my girl friend).

The down side is the TV is very heavy. Make sure the TV stand is all setup when it is delivered. 34” is not that big either. Also, if you don’t have at least HD or digital signal, don’t waste the money.

I hope this helps.
Cheers!

#36245 03/07/04 02:42 PM
axiomite
axiomite
A girl friend who'll give you a(an?) HDTV for a present? Does she have a sister who likes OLD guys?

The weight factor is one of the reasons I went with the DLP. But, The 910 was seriously in the running right up to the end.

I used a Bravo D1 from V,INC. for awhile, but got fed up with it's, how shall I say it, it's idiosyncrasies, and sent it back. IMHO, the PQ was noticeably superior via the DVI output, but that was on my set. Have no experience with the Sammy 931. I'm now waiting for either the Bravo D2 (due in April) or the the Samsung 841 (due in June/July). One can only hope the D2 resolves all the problems in the D1. The 841 plays DVD Audio and SACD. The Jury is still out. I'll let the D2 come out and wait for reviews on the first wave. That should take me up to the release of the 841, and I'll make a decision then.

Glad you're happy with the 910. And YES, Isn't Monday Night Football FUN in HD! I got a chance to watch several of the Browns' games in HD. They even WON one of them. Amazing!

I have a pair of M60's coming to replace the M22tis in the photo.

Jack

#36246 03/07/04 06:53 PM
aficionado
aficionado
Thats a pretty nice setup, but where will you put the 60's?

#36247 03/07/04 08:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I was waiting for that question, and it's a good one. I believe some rearranging of the room will be necessary. DUH! The 10' long pine boards on which the TV sits will go, and a shorter version will take their place which will end at the edges of the equipment racks. I'll be able to move the couch farther down the wall it's already on. Then the STF-2 will go under the TV.

I want to raise the M60's a little so the tweeters are at roughly ear height (42", or so). I'll probably build my own stands.

Jack

#36248 03/07/04 08:55 PM
aficionado
aficionado
lostsailor
sorry to arrive so late to the party, but I though you'd like to know that I have had problems with magnetic interference from my VP150 and my TV (Toshiba 36HFX71). I actually had to move the 150 to the shelf below the TV, which in defense sounds just fine.

I had no interference problems with my old center channel, a JBL HLS Center. After some discussion with Joe @ Axiom, it was determined that two things probably caused the interference: poor shielding/insulation on my TV and larger magnets on the VP150 than my existing center channel.

All that being said, numerous people have their centers sitting directly atop their TVs, so I'd assume that problems are very rare. Go for it!

"Chickens don't clap."
#36249 03/08/04 10:50 AM
regular
OP Offline
regular
Interesting indeed. I'll have to keep that in mind when I get a center channel. I may have to get the smaller VP100 to put in on the shelf below.

Ajax, The TV gift I spoke of is certainly a unique situation. It certainly doesn't happen often enough. I do like your current setup. The platform looks stable enough and can hold loads of AV gadgets. Also, you didn't have to spend money on the speaker stands.

Regards.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters