Print Thread
Rate Thread
Listening via the Axiom Owners Website
#36279 03/07/04 04:46 AM
regular
OP Offline
regular
To All:

I was fortunate enough to have an Axiom owner make his system available for a listen this past week. Dave Head, in the Tampa Bay Area, was kind enough to allow me to spend a couple of hours at his home, listening to copious amounts of great music at serious volume levels. In fact, his girlfriend was wonderful too. (I guess I must have brought a good bottle of wine.... ;-) ).

I was able to audition the M60s, VP150 and QS8s, along with a SVS sub. It was just like everyone says, the highs and mids of the Axioms are extremely bright and accurate. The mid bass was a bit weak in my opinion, but was filled in nicely by the SVS 20-39 Sub. We played a multitude of program material, and I was very happy with the M60s in stereo, as well as the full home theater with the excellent QS8s and VP150. It's hard to beat this product for the money.

In short, I want to thank the Axiom Forum for helping to make it possible for me to hear these speakers, and to help make a decision to join the group of people who already own Axiom products. I've had other people on this forum post responses to my inquiries, and I want to state that I really appreciate the positive and helpful nature that the people of this forum have.

Thanks again for all of your help in the cause of better fidelity....

Thanks again,

Pat

Re: Listening via the Axiom Owners Website
#36280 03/07/04 04:51 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I don't suppose there are any more of those bottles of wine eh Pat?

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
#36281 03/07/04 01:57 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
I make it a point to always have good bottles of wine available for listening opportunities. The one I presented to Dave was a Cabernet/Syrah meritage / blend, which we all throughly enjoyed. (However, do be advised that I do enjoy a good beer as well...)

#36282 03/07/04 07:49 PM
devotee
devotee
I wonder if the M60s had weak mid bass because of the crossover. If it was set at 80, then that could explain why.

Another possibility is that you are not used to tight, musical mid bass frequencies.

It is just interesting to hear someone say that the M60s are lacking in the mid bass area.

#36283 03/08/04 12:05 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
How cool is that? I'm still waiting for my first opportunity to provide an audition.
Probably still to close to Christmas bills being paid off.

Also, I'm with snip. If there is an SVS sub in the mix (I have a 20-39PCi), then there is an issue with the settings if the mid-bass sounds weak. The sub should be providing the bass, not the M60s. I'm guessing the fronts are set to "large" or the crossover is in a funny (non-80) place. There is a more technical explanation, but you get the idea.

Anyhow, I hope the audition was enough to push you over the edge (including a sub). I just spent most of the day listening to a broad variety of CDs. I can't remember ever having done that before; at least to this extent.

#36284 03/08/04 01:47 AM
old hand
old hand
Actually, the problem was a cable issue. The analog cables in my Denon 2900 came loose (maybe when it was dusted), so we had to listen to CDs in multi-channel mode. That's why the SVS was not engaged while we listened to CDs. I felt bad after I figured out the next day what happened, but I think Pat would agree that the DVD-A, SACD and DVDs we listened to did NOT have any bass issues.

It was great having someone come over that had similar music interests. Pat brought some great DVDs that I hadn't heard (Elton John, Sting, and Bonnie Raitt to name a few). It was also great that Pat was kind enough to bring along the wine. Three hours went by VERY quickly. I'm not sure if that was because of the music, the wine or a combination of both...

David

#36285 03/08/04 03:17 AM
regular
OP Offline
regular
Dave, It was a truly great evening, and I drove all the way home with a smile on my face. Of course, I was wondering why I didn't make it there earlier, so we would have had a greater opportunity to listen to more great music on your superb system. At any rate, if you're willing to spend just a bit more time (guarantee I wouldn't take a whole evening), I would like to come back and hear the difference the corrected cabling makes in the midbass of the 60s. I'm almost ready to join the Axiom owners club, but a bit more inducement would certainly not hurt matters.

Thanks again,

Pat

#36286 03/08/04 04:00 AM
R
connoisseur
connoisseur
R
I'm glad that there was a discernable (and fixable) reason for the bass issue. This is kind of nice - you guys seem to have hit it off pretty well and... once more, Captain Axiom comes to the rescue with pristine audio.

Ya know Dave, based on the way this little drama is unfolding, SOME folks might be inclined to view the wole "ooops my cable was loose" thing as a bold attempt to pick Pat's pocket for bit more o' the grape

#36287 03/08/04 08:37 PM
regular
OP Offline
regular
I'd be thrilled to give up offer up some more special grape juice to have the opportunity to listen to the Axioms one more time before I have to make my final decision between the Paradigms and the Axioms.....

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044