Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
It's all in your head
#363051 01/08/12 02:14 AM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
This is my longest post ever. I apologize.

This is about my experience. It is not for me, nor is it for my amusement. It’s for you, each of you. It is the real New Year's wish I would make for everyone.

If it twangs only one tuning fork out there that ain’t hittin’ A440, then I hope it’s worth reading.

Last month I read a piece on depression that pissed me off. “A recent study revealed” (there’s one for Ray’s snap-lid dumpster) that women are almost twice as likely to be taking anti-depressants. The entire piece revolved around one question: “Why is this happening to women?”

Many avenues were explored—consequences of “liberation,” more work place demands, more single moms, more extra-curricular demands on their kids, blah, blah…

The question, “Who is more likely to seek help?” was posed. That answer was quick and simple; women, because they have more stresses. The pendant to the main question should have been, “Why isn’t this happening to men?” Right, it’s not happening to men. BS! I’ve taken you down the “men don’t take adequate care of their medical or psychological health” road before. We’re veering off right here.

Having logged far more couch hours than Tony Soprano could have afforded, let alone had the time for, I’ve been fairly confident that I have developed at least some tools to stay on top of my feelings. I got pretty good at clearly seeing what was, for me, that dreaded 4th day. If I had two of those “4th days” in less than 4-6 weeks, I was making an appointment before that second “4th day” was over. Sometimes I was very aware of the issue or issues that may have been involved, sometimes not at all. I only knew that I felt (pick as few or as many that apply, or create your own psych-sundae) listless, unhappy, trapped, occasionally hopeless, anxious, unsettled, disaffected, uninterested in what I usually wanted to do, or worse, uninterested in what I always had to do, etc. Hate to disappoint, but not even remotely suicidal, ever, no alcohol-infused self pity…really, never THAT low. I just knew I could plainly remember feeling “better,” but not "then." It's amazing how quickly recalling "felt better" becomes an entirely foggy proposition.

To avoid any confusion, I have never been diagnosed with a psychosis or anything that qualified as a disorder. These bouts, of which I may be free for years at a time…years…, slowed me down, but never stopped me, nor did they result in any significant compromise of function in any part of my life. Like most people’s, they were minor. I’d had therapy only, no meds until the last 9 years, and since then, only a very wimpy one at a very low dose. Over 32 years, I’ve never done therapy for longer than two years (26 weeks a year). Times between “the need” have ranged from 2 to 12 years. My “need” invariably revolves around being pushed off my little wall by surprise and by forces beyond my control, big forces. I’m good unless the fall involves serious head trauma.

Backstory over. The point.

What I’ve just described are some feelings everyone has from time to time. In the worst of times, they present themselves as extremes; times of desperation we all experience for ourselves our or loved ones--- serious illness, injury, death, career/financial disaster, failing parents. Or maybe it’s just that you’re out of meth for the 3rd time in as many days. Everyone’s got their reasons.

Friday morning I had the first appt. with my psych provider in almost 2 years. I’ve just told you that I feel pretty experienced at knowing when it’s time to dive in again. Well, Mr. Experience got blown out of the water with a new diagnosis (MDD) and new visits scheduled for the psychopharmacologist. And this is exactly my point! I have tons of experience with this, and, this time, I had no clue I was in for a Major Depressive Disorder diagnosis. No clue! Less than 20 minutes into it, the right questions from him and some honest answers from me, I realized I’ve been feeling this way for well over ½ a year, maybe a whole one. There is no defining instance, moment, event (doesn’t have to be and usually never is). Sometimes, you don’t see the little things piling up, until you can’t see over them.

Had you asked me on any average day in the past year how I was, I would have told you all was cool, and I would have (thought I) meant it. And I’m supposed to be Mr. I-Know-Myself-Smarty Pants (which are now dangling loosely at my psychological ankles.)

If, even in the deepest of your personal reflection, none of you sees any of yourself in here, that'd please me no end. Statistically, I have almost no belief that could actually be true, which is why I wrote this. However, deep beneath this crackly exterior hides the warm peanut butter filling of hope, which must remain closely guarded and kept under very strict control.

If I thought that revealing this would show any sign of weakness, I’d never have done it. It’s no sign of weakness to run to a doctor when you think your heart is unhappy, but I know you DO think that way when you feel like your brain is unhappy. So if you want to let yourself feel like that, do it. But if you think that any leak in your psychship is getting only your feet cold and wet, think again.

We all want to be thought of for who we are, not what we are. The “WHO you are” is in your f’head! If it ain’t workin’ like it’s s’pposed ta up there, you’re not being a very good “you” now, are ya?

I hope JP forgives me for slobbering all over his turf. This isn’t his job. He’s a healer, not a preacher. He really couldn’t do this without it coming off preachy. JP knows I'm kidding when I take swipes at him, because he knows how much I respect what he does and what it took for him to get there, even if he is an asshole. (Though currently of a far lesser order than I, ya gotta admit, he has "the gift.") If one of us on the boards were a dietician, we really wouldn’t like it if he/she were constantly reminding us of what we shouldn’t be eating (bacon thread endgame). But if one of us had dietary problems and found a way to feel better, I’m hoping we’d think it easier to hear it from him/her.

In BobWorld, there would be psych drive-thru’s hidden behind the dumpster fences at every McDonald’s, for quickies. If not, there should be one of Julius’ colleagues in every street corner office building, walk-ins welcome, for sliding scale-------------------- and they would drive Fiats and just GTF over it.

Again, perspective. Having done it both ways, it's far better to have a big depression, not caused by a concurrent minor illness, than to have a small depression, directly caused by a fatal one. Piece o' cake, this!

It's the only medical care (It's medical care, dillweeds! Whydya think they made JP go to MED school?) where you can directly affect how you recover (feel better), how well, and how quickly.
You have a hand in your own oxymoronic Happy Ending.

BTW, the BP has diminished by almost %60 in just 7 days. It was such a waste. I never really needed it to scare anyone.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Re: It's all in your head
BobKay #363052 01/08/12 02:23 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Good post, Bob, and thank you.

One of my co-workers recently came back from a three month leave of absence to "right" himself. As tough as us guys think we are and putting on a brave face is all that's needed to get through, we do ourselves a disservice by ignoring obvious signs of needing help.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
BobKay #363055 01/08/12 03:37 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Sorry to hear you're feeling down in the Vatican dumpster (sic) Bob. Been there and to say its no fun is a ginormous understatement.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #363056 01/08/12 03:52 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Amen, brother. And thanks.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
fredk #363057 01/08/12 03:56 AM
shareholder in the making
Thanks for that post, Bob. Maybe one day I'll finally get my ass in to a shrink. It all sounds very familiar to me.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
BobKay #363059 01/08/12 04:26 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Sometimes reading Wikipedia can be entertaining.

"In severe cases, depressed people may have symptoms of psychosis. These symptoms include delusions or, less commonly, hallucinations, usually unpleasant."

That splains why you were logging on as god for a while. wink

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
BobKay #363063 01/08/12 05:17 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
Good post, and I certainly see pieces of myself in there.

fredk #363064 01/08/12 05:21 AM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks for taking the time to read it, guys.

Sean, I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to refer to a couple of terms used in your repsonse that illustrate my point. It's not your personal choice of words. I think they're the most common ones called upon.

While even an aware and sensitive person might use the phrase "need(s) help," the stigma has already kicked in. When one goes to receive medical care, one doesn't refer to it as "getting help." It's a mentality that some part of one's body, that can be seen and felt, is broken, but not necessarily by one's own actions and therefore, not one's own fault.

The perception with mental health, is that the whole person is broken, when in most cases, there is no break at all, even in the parts. They may just not be working together as well as they should be. So, I'm not really refering to the people who suffer the horrific misfortune of psychotic breaks and serious psychoses. Rather, I'm refering to the entire rest of us who sometimes (inebitowawy) get kicked in the head by a horse we don't own, nor have ever seen. Simple word: life.

And just like with your body, you want to get even the tiniest of the bad stuff excised before it becomes malignant. It's like ignoring the monthly periodicals, even with good reason, then one day, you look at the coffee table and there are 30!

My big point is that this was all much smaller stuff that I ignored, avoided, was too dumb (distracted) to notice, knew was lurking and put off, thought about and dismissed, etc., etc. Not the stuff of psychopaths, the stuff that makes us all "normal." It's bad timing and large doses that push normal experience into overwhelming experience.

I haven't been paying attention (to lots of things) and it not only caught up with me, but took me by complete surprise. Now I have to devote more work/time/effort on the entire ball of puke than I would have had I been more, well, lots of things.

Could I get through this without therapy or a change in meds? Been through far worse with no assistance, no meds, so, "Yes." Do I want it to take that long, stay an interference for even one day more than necessary and still have new things cropping up before I've cleaned up this schmutz? No!

You don't have to have huge problems, you don't have to go for months and months or even weeks and weeks---and you do not have to end up with a perscription. The choices are all yours. How often do you get that? It can be revelatory, earthshaking, calming, redemptive. It is better than anything else you can possibly do for yourself, and more importantly, everyone who isn't you.

Which, of course, brings us back around to me. Like your family, friends and coworkers, I'm not you! You really effen piss me off, 'cause you need help and I can't deal with your nonsense anymore, you basket case.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
fredk #363065 01/08/12 05:24 AM
BobKay Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: fredk
Sometimes reading Wikipedia can be entertaining.

"In severe cases, depressed people may have symptoms of psychosis. These symptoms include delusions or, less commonly, hallucinations, usually unpleasant."

That splains why you were logging on as god for a while. wink

I didn't think I was having unpleasant hallucinations when I was GOD. I had hoped I was causing them.

BobKay #363068 01/08/12 05:37 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We need to dance around to old tv theme songs more.

Do you ever feel that being an artist makes you hurt a little more or is that just a stereotype?

M3 and
M80
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082