Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ripping Blu-rays and DVDs
#362051 12/28/11 08:59 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
What software do you guys use for ripping blu-rays and DVDs for later streaming to your AVR/TV? Also, what if any software do you use to maintain a movie index and playback. Need to keep the original highest quality audio and video format. I'm new to this and was wondering what is available and how easy it is to stream movies from a server as opposed to putting a disc in a player.

I've searched on-line and am not comfortable with what I'm seeing there. Would like to hear from someone with experience.

I'm ok with building a server to do this with, as opposed to purchasing one. But not familiar with what is available. This is a back-burner project, because I've got my hands in too much to do at the moment anyway.

Re: Ripping Blu-rays and DVDs
CatBrat #362054 12/28/11 09:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Cat

I use dvdfab 8 for ripping. I rip only the main movie as i have no interest in anything else. I then use Clownbd to get the proper audio ,that being ac3 5.1 since thats the best the xbox 360 will accept. From there i compress with handbrake into an .mkv file. On my computer i use divx plus codec which allows me to stream .mkv . MediaCenter master gets all my backdrops and folder art and Media Browser integrate all my movies into media center. Storing ripped discs consumes a lot of space but if that is the route you want to go then look into a program called My Movies , it integrates with media center for streaming over to the 360.The plus of ripping is quicker access to your movies to choose what you want to watch ,rather than staring blankly at shelves full of movies. The down side is its not really a simple process and requires alot of time and effort.
There are many ways to go about it and there are plenty of one touch programs,none of which give really great results.In my opinion, xilisoft has the best all in one program. In the back of my mind, one day i would like to build a purpose built htpc,and rip everything on to it.

Do you have a media streaming device in mind.

I use completely different software and procedures for dvd's
rip with dvdfab, cut all the credit etc with dvdshrink and then
compress with avi.net.

What media streamer do you plan to use.I know this sounds a little over the top,and it took a while to get where i am but now i can rip and compress a movie in a couple of hours that looks and sounds great.

Oh and a lot of discs are coming out with cinavia protection and wont allow you to just rip and play the rip.

I will help you as much as i can based on my own method

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #362055 12/28/11 09:49 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I say stay legal and just purchase the movies, those days are in my past.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

Gr8_White_North #362059 12/28/11 09:57 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Well. Currently I don't do or use any of that. I'm a complete nube when it comes to ripping and playing the media. But, here are my requirements.

1) All media must be in the most uncompressed mode for the highest quality playback possible. Mega-terabyte city is ok.

2) Would be nice to be able to stream to multiple devices at the same time.

3) Connection can be wired or wi-fi, but I've read that wi-fi isn't fast enough for today's best blu-ray and audio sources.

4) Would be nice to use an ipad as the remote that selects and plays movies.

5) Want the entire movie product saved, including any credits, etc. But have no use for trailers, etc. Bonus features saved this way would also be nice, IF there was a way to make it conveniently associated with the movie, in a sub/directory type of fashion.

6) Would also want all playback functions to work, with chapter skipping forward/backward, and fast back/forward, etc.

This is all that I can think of right away.

Last edited by CatBrat; 12/28/11 10:06 PM.
SirQuack #362061 12/28/11 09:58 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: SirQuack
I say stay legal and just purchase the movies, those days are in my past.

100% of my collection is legal and will stay that way. I just want a convenient method of digitizing and playing back my collection.

CatBrat #362062 12/28/11 10:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
i never said what i was doing was illegal in anyway. Just more convenient to see my collection on the big screen and choose a movie to watch.I think streaming a movie with 35Mbps is goin to really tax your network. Western digital has the WDTV live which should make it possible to do what you are asking.
http://www.foxreal.com/stream-bluray-movies-to-wdtv-live-for-hd-playback-on-tv/

Personally i would recommend a htpc or a long hdmi from you computer to tv and run something like total media theater.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #362066 12/28/11 10:21 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Maybe I'm wrong, but from reading the reviews of Total Media Theater 5, it looks like it's designed for playback on a computer, and not to stream the audio and video to an AVR.

CatBrat #362067 12/28/11 10:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
yup ,thats what it does.Really the best solution if you want to keep and play the full iso.

M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Gr8_White_North #362069 12/28/11 10:31 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Socketman
I think streaming a movie with 35Mbps is goin to really tax your network.

Don't currently have or need a network. I'm looking for a closed system that will.
1) Allow me to rip and store the movies off all my DVD/BRD.
2) Have media storage wired via HDMI to my AVR.
3) Optionally, (somehow) have media storage able to stream to other AVR's, and/or TV's with no AVR.
3) Wirelessly use an ipad (or similar) to list and play movies. Each room's setup would require it's own ipad remote, I would hope. Without interfering with the other setups. Or I could use separate Harmony remotes???

Gr8_White_North #362070 12/28/11 10:33 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Socketman
yup ,thats what it does.Really the best solution if you want to keep and play the full iso.

I don't want the computer doing the interpreting (or whatever you call it), I just want it to stream and let the AVR do the interpreting. Also, would need to stream more than one movie at the same time to different AVR's.

Last edited by CatBrat; 12/28/11 10:34 PM.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters