Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Surge suppressors.
BlueJays1 #364306 01/19/12 09:15 PM
S
aficionado
aficionado
S
We had a tree branch knock the power line off our house and the cheap surge protector I had didn't stop from blowing the TV,stereo and VCR(at the time).
It also grounded out on the carpet and burnt a big hole.I was standing there and seen the flash. Scary

Then I went outside to see what had happened and the power line from the pole almost blew into me. That was a life flasher! eek

SBrown #364324 01/20/12 03:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: SBrown
We had a tree branch knock the power line off our house and the cheap surge protector I had didn't stop from blowing the TV,stereo and VCR(at the time).
It also grounded out on the carpet and burnt a big hole.I was standing there and seen the flash. Scary

Then I went outside to see what had happened and the power line from the pole almost blew into me. That was a life flasher! eek

An electrical line came down from a home down the street a few years ago. The culprit wasn't a branch though. The fire fighters came upon a grow op. The place actually caught fire, burnt to a crisp. The neighbours that were on the same line got their stuff fried from the surge.

That's some scary stuff you experienced SBrown.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #364340 01/20/12 02:43 PM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
I am one who likes to plug my gear into a surge suppressor, just to have the extra piece of mind. However, when I purchased my plasma TV a few years ago, I was having some issues with the set. Every now and then and sometimes even several times in a minute I would get a flicker in the picture, where it would quickly have a black screen and then go back on. This was very annoying and distracting. I started looking online and apparently plasma sets are sensitive to fluctuations in the voltage. So I got the APC H15, which is a surge suppressor and voltage regulator in one when they went on sale for about $150. So this unit helps to keep the voltage within a certain tolerance. This almost completely solved the flicker problem on my plasma set. I might notice it flicker once per two months, where it used to be almost a daily problem (and on some days it would flicker so bad that I didn't even want to watch it).

Nick B #364369 01/20/12 04:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Your problem could be a poor connection or part that is going out of spec somewhere that is causing the screen to go black and come back on. A bad solder could act intermittently like that. If the UPS is supposed to control the voltage and voltage fluctuations are what's causing it, then shouldn't the flicker stop completely?

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #364426 01/20/12 09:08 PM
N
aficionado
aficionado
N
I don't think it is a bad solder. I returned the first TV since it was doing this within the 30 day period. The second identical TV acted the exact same way. After that I set up a dedicated outlet with only the TV on a breaker by itself. This did nothing for the problem. The voltage regulator finally fixed the problem. Like I said, the flicker might happen once per month or two. The APC doesn't have a battery inside and so it can only store up power for maybe a split second dip in voltage and still maintain a consistent voltage to the TV. So what I am probably noticing once per month is a slightly longer dip in voltage that the APC cannot keep up with, and I get a flicker. If I spend approximately $1000 to get the APC with battery back up built in I bet it would completely solve the problem. But, the problem that I still notice is so rare that it doesn't even bother me now.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 740 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup