Why noTwo-Disc Blu-ray/CD Combo's?
#364429 01/20/12 09:33 PM
N
Nick B Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
N
The biggest trend for movies that you can purchase right now is giving customers the Blu-Ray/DVD/streaming option all in one. This way you should be able to watch the movie that you bought, just about anywhere (the streaming option is usually a subscription that is only avaliable for a couple of years and could be much improved, in this regard, but at least it is something).

Why don't the record labels give us a similar thing for music? A Blu-Ray/CD/ 312 kbps download all in one package? I'd spend an extra few dollars over the CD price for this kind of a package. Or, another idea... concert Blu-Ray's come with a CD and access to free high resolution download, as well. SACD and DVD audio aren't exactly setting record sales, in fact they are steadily declining. But, the vinyl fad seems to be coming back around and I really don't have the energy to get into that. It would be nice if there were more high resolution options. It seems to me that things like this, which don't cost the record labels any money, could surely help with sales. And maybe even deter pirating to some extent.

Re: Why noTwo-Disc Blu-ray/CD Combo's?
Nick B #364430 01/20/12 09:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I like the idea and wish it would happen, but too many people (meddling kids!) are into downloads and don't care as much as us about sound quality. There won't be the critical mass to make this a common offering. Enough people own Blu-ray players and are willing to sit through a movie, but not nearly as many own audiophile equipment and are willing to sit and just listen to an album primarily for the sound quality of the music.

I can see occasional special releases, like the Rush: Moving Pictures Blu-Ray and the Pink Floyd immersion box sets, continuing.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #364449 01/21/12 12:37 AM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Originally Posted By: medic8r
I like the idea and wish it would happen, but too many people (meddling kids!) are into downloads and don't care as much as us about sound quality. There won't be the critical mass to make this a common offering. Enough people own Blu-ray players and are willing to sit through a movie, but not nearly as many own audiophile equipment and are willing to sit and just listen to an album primarily for the sound quality of the music.

I can see occasional special releases, like the Rush: Moving Pictures Blu-Ray and the Pink Floyd immersion box sets, continuing.

When you are talking about a generation that has a retention span of approximately two minutes, the idea of just sitting and listening to an entire album of music, to them, would be incomprehensible. Any wonder why these live, large concerts require enormous amounts of lighting, sets and special effects? They need them in order to keep these kids attention, other wise, do you honestly think for a moment that they would just go to watch and listen to the music on its own for two hours? Their brains are just not wired that way anymore.

casey01 #364453 01/21/12 01:10 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
And get off my lawn!

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #364780 01/25/12 06:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I disagree a bit. Along with the white headphone crowd, there is a second crowd of young people who go to the other extreme and are super serious about music. They can be both easy and tough to spot. They don't dress to conform and you will find them in the smaller clubs where there is a constant supply of live, often local music verses the dance clubs and such. For lack of a proper term having being invented yet, they are indeed kind of a mix of the artsy crowd blended a bit with the hippies of old. However, unlike the hippies of old, they don't draw much attention to themselves, are generally quiet, often very well educated, very polite and very non-political.

They are listening to music in multiple and very diverse genres and appreciate music in all it's aspects from lyrics, artistic value, to sound quality. In fact, I doubt many of us here could keep up for long in a conversation about such topics with most of these young people.

Luckily, they are a lot more acceptable of old fogies like us and unlike most nightclubs or the more popular bar scenes, you can feel very comfortable as one of just a handful of mature adults in one of these otherwise youthful venues. As long as you are there to appreciate music, they treat you as one of there own. Age feels refreshingly irrelevant.

Just my own observations as I truly enjoy live music and love to hang out at the smaller, live music venues both at home here and when I travel.

The music appreciating youth are out there, you just have to look past the more obvious masses.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #364842 01/26/12 02:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: Murph

they are a lot more acceptable of old fogies like us

You are only in your early 40's. If you are a "fogie," that'd make more than a couple of us Devonian turd fossils. I can only speak for myself, but Ray, Jack, and Brian hate you, too!

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Nick B #364850 01/26/12 03:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
It's relative. The above notwithstanding, the majority of young people consider anyone over 25 to be an old fogie. Although, they do reserve turd fossil for you guys specifically.

Nick B #364864 01/26/12 05:40 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
"turd fossil" in scientific language:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprolite

it sounds so much better! ;-)

Nick B #364877 01/26/12 07:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm afraid of what would happen if I said "coprolite". It sounds too close to another word for this crowd.

J. B. #364895 01/26/12 10:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: J. B.
"turd fossil" in scientific language:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprolite

it sounds so much better! ;-)

JB, there are a lot more c-o-p-r-o words that are way more fun and interesting. I've used a couple here before with lackluster results.

There's an entire (rather recent) discipline in paleontology that studies nothing else. Petridinoturdology.

Edit: I think this is one of the most far-afield derailments in quite a while. Blu-ray/CD/turds. Cool!

Last edited by BobKay; 01/26/12 10:06 PM.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters