Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Entering the Axiom Family
fredk #364733 01/25/12 12:48 PM
AdrianD Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted By: JohnK
... what you "perceive" as to the bass level may be normal. Bass frequencies(and to a lesser extent, treble)are less prominent at lower listening levels because of the nature of human hearing.

I was in fact thinking exactly that; what if the extended bass I hear in other spots is in fact low frequency response error?

Originally Posted By: JohnK
You should, of course, double check to make sure that the speakers are connected in the proper polarity and that all the bass drivers are in fact operating(including verifying that the connecting strips on the speaker terminals are tight).

I triple checked; all connections are tight and secure, polarity is correct and all the drivers are working.

Originally Posted By: SirQuack
...If you do have a subwoofer, how do you have things configured. For me multiple subs positioned correctly makes it hard to find any position with out intense bass.

I don't have a subwoofer (well... I do, but it's connected to a HT system in a different room). One of the reasons for picking up the M80s was the hope that for music, I won't need a sub.

Originally Posted By: fredk
It sounds like you have a bass null at the listening position. Nulls are created when sound waves reflecting off room surfaces cancel each other out. I have a few questions:

When you say you tried repositioning, how much have you moved the speakers around?

Good point, as I am not sure it was enough to make a difference.
1. From the wall: from almost touching the wall to about 2 feet. Currently they sit at about 1 ft, which sounded the best IMO.
2. Angle: from no angle to 30 degrees. Currently they are at about 5... very little toe-in. Again, the best sound, at least in regards to sound stage and imaging, which are "out of this world" to my ears.
3. Distance between the speakers: from 6 to 12 feet, currently at about 9.

What shape is your room?

It's rectangular: 22 x 28 feet. The speakers are on one of the
22 sides.

Somewhere in the article section on the Axiom site on a simple method of finding the best place for your sub....
I wonder if you can do something similar with one of your M80s?

I think I may have read it, but I did not try that yet. I'll leave it for last... if everything else fails. I'm thinking that my back will thank me grin

If you are technically inclined and somewhat obsessive, you can try to measure your speaker response using software called REW and an spl meter to see what's really going on.

In some people's opinion, "somewhat obsessive"= audiophile laugh
Joking aside, I do have an SPL Meter, but no software yet. I will definitely would like to try the "by the numbers" approach.

Lastly, you can always drastically rearrange you room based on where you get the best sound.

The room is mine to "play", so that's in books as well; a friend of mine suggested to switch the speakers onto the larger side of the room. If nothing else seems to work, I would give that a try as well.

Thank you very much Gents for all your valuable input; my goal is to try and get the best possible sound out of my system. And of course, something to do in my spare time smile.

PS Does anyone think at this point, that it may be worth trying the automatic calibration that came with my Pre/Pro?

M80 v3, 2 x Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, XPA-5, UMC-1 PrePro
Pro-Ject RPM Genie, Carver C2 Phono Preamp
AdrianD #364735 01/25/12 01:41 PM
shareholder in the making
As long as you write down your current settings so you can revert to them, I don't see an issue with doing that.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #364737 01/25/12 02:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
Moving across the country and buying a house.

Well that was an easy fix.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #364744 01/25/12 02:52 PM
I found it to be a straightforward, effective, and quick solution and I would recommend it to anyone with similar problems.

Last edited by Ken.C; 01/25/12 02:52 PM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
AdrianD #364941 01/27/12 06:25 AM
J
J
Does the UMC-1 have bass/treble settings? If so turn the bass up a notch or 2 to see if that helps with the lower volume play back. I like Audyssey just for this reason, it boosts the bass and treble for lower volume playback and it works very well.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #365248 01/31/12 03:42 AM
AdrianD Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted By: jakewash
Does the UMC-1 have bass/treble settings? If so turn the bass up a notch or 2 to see if that helps with the lower volume play back. I like Audyssey just for this reason, it boosts the bass and treble for lower volume playback and it works very well.

Yes it does; it has an Equaliser AND separate, general Bass and Treble, but I didn't use them. I'll give it a try and report back; I tried to get the best possible sound without tone controls (although I don't think there is anything wrong with using it). But it sounds like a good, quick idea.

M80 v3, 2 x Emotiva UPA-1 Monoblocks, XPA-5, UMC-1 PrePro
Pro-Ject RPM Genie, Carver C2 Phono Preamp
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082