C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
I'm thinking I'll get a real wood finish when I start replacing my fronts, and I was hoping to get some input from you guys. So far, I think Mel's Rosewoods are the prettiest I've seen, so I'm leaning toward that.

I'm curious what kind of stain and gloss you think I should go for. I love the look of piano finish, but I'm concerned about reflections, especially when I eventually move to a projector. Should I go for satin low gloss? As far as stain, would you stick with Natural or move to something darker like Coffee or even Chestnut, perhaps?

Any other thoughts?

Re: Finish Me
CV #365263 01/31/12 11:05 AM
Jeeez, my only thought is that after reading the subject line, I was scared the body of the text was going to be about massage.

I don't have any REAL helpful thoughts other than: When you are putting your speakers into an existing room, I think that room's existing furnishings and decor dictate the speaker finish. You're lucky enough to be planning a build around the speakers, so I'd just choose what YOU like best and let the room match the speakers. I could see going lower-than piano gloss if you're considering a projector.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
CV #365278 01/31/12 04:04 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Reducing reflections is probably the best thing you can do to increase ANSI contrast when using an overhead projector. I think it is worth the effort, as ANSI contrast gives the image increased depth and that 3D'ish "pop" that you hear referenced. It isn't until you actually see it that the terms become visual and understandable. Once you see it, then you crave it.

Considering all that, I went through the same thought process as you Charles. For my living area system, I went with a real shiny piano black. But I don't care about reflections in this room. For the HT, I do not want reflections or bright stained speakers. When you have a light controlled room with dark, non-reflective paint, everything that isn't like colored will stand out like a sore thumb when you use a projector. But - when the lights are on, even when dim, it is nice to see a real wood, nice looking speaker. When the lights are off, who cares?? You can't (or shouldn't) see the speakers anyway. If you don't care what they look like, lights off or on, then the good ol' flat black with black grill is the best choice.

You obviously do care, and so do I. For a compromise, I decided to go with cherry, bordeaux stain, semi-gloss finish, black grill. They look nice when you can see them, this color matches my HT wall paint (which is a satin burgundy), but when the lights are off, they do not reflect too bad. They do reflect some, but it is not distracting.

CV #365280 01/31/12 04:36 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Here's a link to a page that contains pictures my my real wood M2 that I bought. Only the last 2 pictures in the series are meaningful on this page.

Also the thread called VaSSallo is mine when I was buying my first real wood speaker.

Axiom mailed me 2 or 3 samples that I picked from, and I ended up with Nutmeg Cherry Satin finish.

CatBrat #365294 01/31/12 06:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The semi-gloss is enough shine to enhance the real wood. Real wood under satin can (depending upon species, stains color, etc.) look like laminate. The satin samples I got did make me feel that way, so I went with semi.

Most good furniture is semi (except for some of their tops). High gloss is used most frequently on exotic woods or stand-alone pieces. Almost all high-gloss, real-wood veneers in cars look fake to me. Woodfinishers sometimes refer to it as the wood-under-glass look.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
MarkSJohnson #365303 01/31/12 07:39 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Jeeez, my only thought is that after reading the subject line, I was scared the body of the text was going to be about massage.

Ha ha. I was thinking more along the lines of Mortal Kombat.

CV #365305 01/31/12 07:42 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I appreciate the input, guys. Sounds like semi-gloss is the way to go. I'll have to order a couple of samples of the darker stains and see what I like best.

The only disappointing thing is that I'll only ever be able to justify the expense of replacing the normal channels, not my subwoofers. They would cost waaaaay too much to replace unless I suddenly get rich. I'll have to figure out a way to make them look good alongside everything else in the room.

CV #365306 01/31/12 07:55 PM
But I'll give you $100 for each of them so you can recoup part of your original purchase price!

CV #365307 01/31/12 07:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Originally Posted By: CV
I appreciate the input, guys. Sounds like semi-gloss is the way to go. I'll have to order a couple of samples of the darker stains and see what I like best.

The only disappointing thing is that I'll only ever be able to justify the expense of replacing the normal channels, not my subwoofers. They would cost waaaaay too much to replace unless I suddenly get rich. I'll have to figure out a way to make them look good alongside everything else in the room.

WTH does that mean?! Justification is a way of treating one's self unfairly. It is the first step on the road to low self-esteem, so please be more careful, CV.

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
CV #365308 01/31/12 08:00 PM
Bob, would his self-esteem be raised if he gave us each one subwoofer?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020