Rate Thread
Ok, if not the Outlaw....Ian? Myles?
#362 10/19/01 03:52 AM
Cueball Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
Hello again,

Thank you Ian and Myles for responding to my other post. Again, being new to the HT scene brings many questions to the surface.

Ok, now for my next question. I do know that the Outlaw does not include DPL 2 technology and that it is not upgradable. I feel, based on the reviews, that it is a solid unit and may be enough for my first HT receiver....but....what would you recommend for a receiver in the same price range (500 - 600 US) and that would be as good and solid as the Outlaw with more/upgradable features? I know that Onkyo makes a very nice unit that is priced for around 600 US and that also Marantz makes some nice lower end models as well. What would you recommend? Ian? Myles? I know it all comes down to personal preference, but both your imput is appreciated. Thanks!

Chris

"You learn more from making mistakes than trying to avoid making them."

"You learn more from making mistakes than trying to avoid making them."
Re: Ok, if not the Outlaw....Ian? Myles?
#363 10/19/01 11:20 PM
M
regular
regular
M
Well, I have an Integra(devision of Onkyo) receiver with Prologic 2 and I really like Prologic 2. I would go for an Onkyo...poss. the new 797 model(Integra 7.2), or one of the new Harmon Kardon models...poss the 512, Denon also make a great receiver...say a 2802 or a 3802. Marantz has some new models out....One of the new models....7200 received a poor review(hiss and low power rating). Marantz also is supposedly better at music than home theater.

Now, the Outlaw has one advantage...it will power 6 speakers (6.1 surround encoded on certain DVD's.). This gives you the ability to add a rear center channel speaker. This was a rare trait when the Outlaw was introduced but not so rare now. Many people find that placing a rear center channel can be difficult as well. How much it adds is questionable.

If it were me, I'd give serious consideration to the Onkyo 797(just released and also 6.1 surround) but it's a little more (around $800). Or the Harmon Kardon 512 or cheaper 312.

Check out :
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/
and
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/ (In the Onkyo forum is a guy who sells Onkyo who will get you a good deal)

Good luck

Myles

#364 10/23/01 06:26 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there any reason why you are not supporting Denon, you mention but do not really support. I have been thinking of upgrading my old yammie for either the 797 or 3802, but the Denon has seven channels for a true powered 2 zone. Any reason why you think the Onkyo is better than Denon, or is the Onkyo a better fit for Axiom owners.

curious

#365 10/25/01 12:27 AM
M
regular
regular
M
I have nothing against Denon! They are great receivers. The only problem I have is how expensive they seem to be here in Canada. As I understand it, there is no formal "distributer" in Canada so another company markets them and they appear to be relatively more expensive than they are in the US.

#366 10/25/01 05:16 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I'm just starting out myself, and have been looking @ outlaw too. In their "news" section they make mention of a new receiver that will have "As previously announced, it will have the full suite of Dolby and DTS modes, including Dolby Digital, Dolby ProLogic II, DTS 5.1, DTS-ES Discrete and Matrix and DTS Neo:6."

...so if you can wait (I think december was targeted release) it might be worth it.

#367 10/25/01 05:01 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have a Denon 1800 and I compared it to Onkyo and Yamaha
and found the prices to be very comparable to the specs.
(I live in the Toronto area)

I chose Denon over the Yamaha because of 5 channel stereo,
which is great for everything not digital and over the
Onkyo because of the complaints of their quality.

I am very happy with my Denon but everyone has their opinions about equipment.

I listened to the Epic 80 system at a dealer in Oakville
and was very impressed with the clarity of the M80s.
I will be purchasing the Epic 80 system very soon.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044