Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Anyone else moved to an e-reader ?
Murph #350352 06/16/11 02:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have an iPad 2 and Kindle and love them both for different reasons.

iPad 2 has tons of functionality for me, helps that I have an iPhone 4 and several Macs at home. I'm pretty tied to the ecosystem. But one of the biggest reasons was to read comics. I tried on my iPhone 4 and while it works, the screen causes me to read panel by panel which isn't the greatest sometimes. The iPad allows me to read page by page. I'm using some apps that let me transfer a bunch of CBZ and CBR files and it works great.

I thought the ipad would kill my Kindle usage but it doesn't. For straight book reading, the Kindle (v2 in my case) is a much better experience. Lighter, easier on the eyes and better in daylight. I've found that the newspapers are easier to read on the Kindle as well.

oldskoolboarder #350639 06/21/11 05:21 AM
aficionado
aficionado
I have a Kobo reader which I thoroughly enjoy. The books are reasonably priced. I bought my wife a new iPad for her birthday. The iPad has a slight edge with the color screen however the Kobo is easier to read when sitting outdoors in the sun.
Most of my reading is done in the evening before bed so I find it easier looking at the Kobo or iPad screen versus a paperback. Just my 0.02 worth.

Rock_Head #355908 10/01/11 10:34 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
I'm really liking the look of the upcoming Kindles. I may have to pick up one or two.

CV #355968 10/02/11 06:43 AM
C
CV Offline
C
Has anyone borrowed Kindle ebooks from their local library yet? Just wondering how smooth that process is.

CV #355974 10/02/11 01:09 PM
devotee
devotee
I have been over seas for an extended period for work and bought a Kobo before leaving. I really liked it, especially since most of my reading is out in the sun. Alas, I learned the fragility of these things when I forgot it in my pocket (in a semi-hard case) and went crawling briefly. Cracked screen forced me to get a replacement and I decided to give the 3G Kindle a go. It also was great to read from and the free internet connection anywhere was fantastic with a quite reasonable (for what it is), though not optimum, web browser. I was quite upset when this screen also cracked (in a different semi-rigid case) seeing as how I was now paranoid about breaking it so took extreme care. Just picked it up one day and it was broken.

Having limited access to anything I then managed to pick up an Archos Arnova 10 Android tablet. It was relatively cheap, and I now know why (frustrating beyond belief to use). It does reasonable service as an e-reader once you download other software, although only indoors/at night. Unreadable in the sun.

All in all, when I get back, despite my experiences, I will be getting another e-reader (maybe Amazon will replace this one). I greatly prefer them to paper books. Much lighter, easier to hold, carry, and store. Although I understand the attachment to the solid item, I do not share it. The paper copy now is really only good for lending to others (or for when the technology lets me down, as it always seems to cry ).

Haven't had a chance for library lending, but my neighbor borrowed tons for her Kobo and she was quite happy with her experiences. Not sure if we have kindle format stuff up north yet, but I know that Calibre can convert epub to kindle easily enough (not sure how library files work, however).

M80s/VP160/QS8s/EP350; M22s; M3s.
doormat #356056 10/03/11 02:53 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Library lending is not available here yet. However, I can definitely see why e-book sales are skyrocketing. Not only have I found I am reading more, it also makes it soooo easy to get new books that I have purchased more than I normally would as well.

For instance, I recently finished book three in the Song of Fire and Ice series. Normally, I would wait until I got to the bookstore someday, whenever I get the urge and the free time. In browsing at a real bookstore, something else might even catch my eye and I'd go another way. Eventually, I might even forget about that series, although I usually like to finish them if I enjoy them.

In any case, with the Kindle, as soon as you finish the last page, you are given the opportunity to buy the next book in the series. Of course, it's hot in your mind so if you enjoyed it, you probably will do so. In less than 60 seconds, you are already reading the next book.

They get you while you are still excited. It's a marketing person's dream.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #356078 10/03/11 06:37 PM
C
CV Offline
C
I wonder if they'll start doing fixes for inadequately edited text. Seems like it would be pretty easy to roll out updates for electronic versions of books. But probably not. I notice glaring typos that persist in later printings of books, after they've had plenty of time to catch them.

CV #356101 10/04/11 11:41 AM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
After what Sony did with the PS3, the less hotfixes I see coming, the better in my products. Fix what's broken. Don't remove what I payed for!!!

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #356137 10/05/11 02:07 AM
axiomite
axiomite
What did Sony remove in the PS3?

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #356139 10/05/11 02:41 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The coffee maker.

Too hard to clean.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics