Amplifier - General Information Request
#36757 03/11/04 06:40 PM
R
Ray3 Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
R
As I have trudged throught this HT jungle over the last year or so, I have assembled a decent setup so I can enjoy music and movies closer to the way they were intended to be enjoyed. One of the tangents I chose to ignore was that of separates. I opted for a good quality AV receiver and it has fit my needs. In fact, I have just replaced a Denon 1803 with a 3803 in the last couple of weeks. The 3803 (110 Watts/channel) can act as a pre/pro and affords an opportunity to add an amplifier. I just finished reading about spiff's Stratos.

In simple terms, (not even a little bit interested in charts and articles from experts that get into audio theory to the point of causing me to bleed from the eyes), what does an additional amplifier actually do? How does it enhance an audio setup? Why would I want to consider an amplifier? Is the additional cost for an justified? The tote board is open.

Re: Amplifier - General Information Request
#36758 03/12/04 02:17 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
i could write pages worth of nonsense..

but to sum it up. id say. Becuase it might sound better!

#36759 03/12/04 03:52 AM
R
Ray3 Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
R
Thanks Brandon. My research tells me the same thing. A little deeper and broader soundstage. Noticeable, but not incredible. More money for some return. I really haven't heard anything that knocks my socks off. I hope I'm not missing something in the mix here.

#36760 03/12/04 04:05 AM
shareholder in the making
Ray, whatever you read that said that, forget it. There's no way that an amp can affect the soundstage during the amplification process. Special sound processing modes, of course, can sometimes do that. There can be be pride of ownership in having expensive separates and they may have a longer service life, but there won't be any sound benefit except in the unlikely event that a receiver as powerful as your 3803 isn't powerful enough. No, you're not missing anything.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#36761 03/12/04 05:44 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
OK, listen, I don't want to argue with JohnK or anyone who knows all there is to know about these matters. Suffice it to say, that although JohnK states his opinion with unqualified authority, there are many, that is MANY, respected reviewers and people whose professional lives are dedicated to the world of audiophile electronic music reproduction, who would not only disagree with JohnK, but laugh loudly at the arrogant presumption of anyone who does not trust his or other people's experiences which conflict with his belief. Yes, that's right, JohnK's authoritative statement that all amps sound the same, have no effect on soundstage, etc., are his opinions, no matter how strongly or states them and no matter how vigorously he attacks any conflicting opinions.

Just because there is a chorus on this board of folks who agree with this idiosyncratic BELIEF, does not make this position correct.

For those who have heard the differences between well made amplifiers, don't be discouraged from speaking by the loudly trumpeted opinions to the contrary of some on this board.

There is no dogma which members of this board must accept. JohnK, believe what you like. It's a free country, and you're entitled to your OPINIONS, like anyone else.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
#36762 03/12/04 05:52 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
Often makes me wonder if one person's "widened soundstage" isn't another person's "broadened spectrum" or "tightened musicality" or any of the other miscellaneous buzzphrases for "sounded different".

Bren R.

#36763 03/12/04 06:11 AM
From what I have read, JohnK only passes on scientifically validated information. You can say two receivers sound different until you're blue in the face -- and you might even be correct -- but the brick wall we keep running up against is that some of us don't believe our ears can be trusted objectively. For some of us, hearing isn't believing. For those of us in this camp, we like to see controlled tests performed to either validate or refute those differences.

People who do not rely on such tests are not inferior to those who do. (I realize this might have been implied in the past, and I apologize if I was one of them.) In fact, you probably have an easier time buying audio equipment because you don't have the added burden of questioning the validity of what your ears are hearing. For that I am envious.

#36764 03/12/04 07:08 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you make it to Southern California, Bren, I'll be glad to give you a demonstration. Each component, including speakers, can influence the width, depth and height of the soundstage.

#36765 03/12/04 07:10 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
pmb, what piece of equipment can you suggest which has the exquisite sensitivity of the human ear/brain combination? Do you think it's possible, that there is auditory information which is not measurable by a frequency analyzer, SPL meter, or whatever other piece(s) of equipment you can think of?

#36766 03/12/04 07:12 AM
I'm having trouble imagining how a non-speaker component can influence the height of the soundstage.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters