Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Virtual Stone custom signs...fyi
SirQuack #319329 08/20/10 11:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
There was actually some hullaballou from the NFL regarding the fleur de lis right around the championship/superbowl time frame, claiming rights to said symbol...

... didn't hold up. IF it is used in conjunction with the "Saints" or the like, then the NFL could claim rights, but the symbol by itself - no dice.

I still think it's cool work, Randy. You go, boy!

Scott

My HT
a401classic #319885 08/24/10 10:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey Randy, I will try to explain my response.

First I think it's important to say that I most definitely don't get offended whatsoever if someone is a Christian or of any denomination. To each their own as long as they aren't hurting anyone.

Reply to Scampy-

Originally Posted By: sirquack
I will talk to Matt about the price as he was the one that is always trying to help people out and do something nice. Sometimes he forgets what he puts into his own time. He is a good Christian friend of mine and to him it is all about helping others, as it should be. wink

I took the "as it should be" at the end of your reply as holding the same belief as Matt-"it is all about helping others out". I know there is a "wink" following your statement, but I took it as a facetious one because if taken literally it could/would imply that there's no sincerity/relevance in the sentence that precedes it, which I didn't think was the case.

Your comments about doing something in the name of religion are way off base and not sure where your coming from. You obviously don't understand my comments. I was responding to Scamps question as to why we are charging so little. Matt is a great guy and for someone you don't know it is funny you would reply this way.

He has always done this work on the side for friends and families for free, after spending 15hr+ or more doing this work by hand. He doesn't make a lot of money in his regular job as a youth pastor at a local church so I thought "heck dude, you should try starting a little business to put a little extra change in your pocket".

Originally Posted By: michael_d

There was no reference from Randy doing anything in the name of religion. I find it interesting that you came to that conclusion.

My comments about doing something in the name of religion also came from your aforementioned reply-

I will talk to Matt about the price as he was the one that is always trying to help people out and do something nice. Sometimes he forgets what he puts into his own time. He is a good Christian friend of mine and to him it is all about helping others, as it should be. wink

Maybe I'm wrong, but I took "he is a good Christian friend of mine ....." as doing the work and setting the price lower in the name of religion.

If you had said- "I will talk to Matt about the price as he was the one that is always trying to help people out and do something nice. Sometimes he forgets what he puts into his own time. He is a good Christian friend of mine and to him it is all about helping others, as it should be. ;)". Then in no way would there be any inclination that it's done with any religious undertone.

I will say emphatically that despite my comments regarding religion, I do think it's very highly commendable for Matt to create such beautiful work and hold true to his core belief system, which is what should be. And, although I don't know you, I'm sure you are the same as Matt (based on your interaction on the forum).

I don't want this to carry on as a debate or disagreement between you and I, and I definitely hope that you and others on the forum will see where I was coming from, if only slightly.

If you don't, then I have no problem apologizing to Matt and yourself as I had no intention whatsoever to come across in the manner that I was received.

Again, I wish you both nothing but the best in this new venture, and hope it flourishes!

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #319889 08/24/10 11:45 PM
shareholder in the making
Well said, Cam.

pmbuko #319949 08/25/10 01:12 PM
OP Offline
"as it should be" was referring to "helping others out". I think it is important to help people out, it has nothing to do with the statement about him being a Christian. You read to much into people's posts obviously. Because you are all my friends, Matt wanted to charge less than he should, for ex. charging $40 including shipping, on a piece that took him 15+ hrs to complete. I mearly mentioned to him that if he wants to start a business and be successful, he needs to get past being nice and helping others to a point. Sorry, I guess I will be cautious in what I mention in the future as it will be taken out of context.

To your reply to Mike, again you took something out of context and I never implied that this business venture was done in the name of religious reasons. Sorry I mentioned that one person in the world was a Christian.

Your right, you did take the business idea, price, etc. in the name of religion wrong, they have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

This is not English or Philosophy class, so I am sorry I did not meet your grammer requirments on an AV forum.

Thanks for your positive ending comments.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #368506 03/02/12 02:45 PM
OP Offline
Since Kruncher sent me a PM today to see how my buddies bussiness was doing, thought I'd give all of you an update, even the trolls.

Can't remember if I mentioned this earlier, but my friend lost his job as a youth pastor at a local church, and with todays economy, has had a hard time finding a job. So we had this idea, that started this thread. Since then, he was married, and this business is doing pretty darn good. Below is his website, and he also has a facebook page. Thanks again for all of you that gave support with this idea.

He made me a cool THX sign, which was given to me, and I also plan to pay to have him build a cool entrance above my home theater french doors, possibly with some backlighting..

The website is not the best design, but if you check the various links across the tops he has lots of pics.

http://www.virtualstoneart.com/

SirQuack #368507 03/02/12 03:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's great, Randy! Glad it worked out for him. It IS a cool idea. Would he make one for me if I chose a very, very naughty word----with an exclamation point?

Always call the place you live a house. When you're old, everyone else will call it a home.
SirQuack #368511 03/02/12 03:21 PM
OP Offline
ha ha, I could check Bob, lol. depends on the naughty word I suppose, lol, you could send me a PM if interested, lol.

SirQuack #368581 03/03/12 02:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That's good news, Randy! I'm glad things are turning out well for your friend.

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
SirQuack #368727 03/05/12 01:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Very cool. Years ago, I met an artist in a campground who exclusively carved peoples dog photos into stone slabs. His price was astronomical but when you realized how much time he put into it, it makes sense. The level of detail right down to individual hairs was unbelievable. It takes him close to a year (sometimes over a year) to complete each piece and it was almost like a photo when it was done. He said he was about just over half into the current project he had out when we went to see what he was doing and it already had multiple times more detail than any carving I have ever seen.

I remember thinking you would have to have a personality disorder to be able to put that much time into so much detail but the results certainly were beautiful. A true artist in every sense of being.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 175 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup