Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
May buy Axiom...convince me..then tell me what!
#368601 03/03/12 06:43 PM
K
OP Offline
K
I am a Boston Acoustics fan......but think it's time to change things up a bit. I think I may go ID for the first time.....although I still find myself afraid! Brands I looked at are Axiom, Ascend, Aperion, Mirage and Energy..... The room is a dedicated room but it's small. Only 13' x 11' with 8' ceilings. There is a 98" FP screen. Speakers will be driven by a Yamaha rx-v2200....may get an amp down the road but the older Yammies are much more robust than the newer ones.

Some options I was looking at are Mirage OMD-15 with matching center, Energy RC50 or 70 with matching center, Ascend CMT 340 front 3, Axiom M-60 with 150 center. I like a nice flat frequency response....with crisp detail.... but like to be enveloped as well. It is an apartment so it is not forever...meaning the room could change down the road. First....sell me on Axiom...they are #1 right now followed VERY CLOSELY by Energy and Mirage. I have heard NONE of them....I live in Maine and there is nothing available for me to listen to. I am VERY familiar with the Boston Acoustic sound and full line of Paradigm sounds....that's it....but it may give you a base for comparison. Price wise all of these are about the same....with Energy and Mirage a bit cheaper....great deals on-line right now...

My other question is.....will these be overkill for the space? System will be 75% for movies.... 25% music....but that can change to more music at times....

Surround are are down the road...I have some but would rather put my cash to the front 3.

Any help you could offer would be great!!

Re: May buy Axiom...convince me..then tell me what!
kingface #368602 03/03/12 07:10 PM
devotee
devotee
Kingface - welcome. Some thoughts: * I have not heard the Ascends, Mirages or the Energys. * Paradigm's overall sound has been compared to Axiom's M60 & M80...but for less $$. * Given your current space and with a good sub (EP 350) I would recommend the M22's. These I own. They are quite neutral, revealing and offer (IMO) stunning performance. * The VP 150 will also fit well with the M22's. Axiom offers a nice 30-day period to evaluate in-room. If you don't plan on a sub and are planning to move to a larger space the M60 will work fine. Good luck. Keep us posted.

FireGuy
M22V3/M3ti/M2V3/Omega Super 5/Aperion 5C/OutlawLFM1+Sub/Denon AVR1906/YamDVDC750/AS AMP110
kingface #368603 03/03/12 07:11 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You didn't say anything about a sub. You need a sub.

What kind of music do you listen to? What kind of movies do you like?

Honestly, I think floorstanders are overkill for a room that small.

Axiom speakers are very neutral. Based on your other options, you will like them. Good company. Good value. Mirage and Energy are now owned by Harman (I think); I don't perceive their newer products as innovative as they used to be. People seem to love the Ascends but I think they are terminally ugly. I've heard some Aperion speakers and thought they sounded very good. Unlike Axiom, they are assembled overseas.

Are you going to use your old speakers for surrounds initially?

M22's and a good sub. Get the VP160 if you can manage the space and cost.

Browse around the forums a bit. Welcome.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
kingface #368604 03/03/12 07:21 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
your room is about the same size as mine, and i'm totally satisfied with the system i have, believing that having "too much" horsepower is so much better on all counts than "not enough".

it can easily take anything i can feed it without any stress.
115-118dB SPL sounds (and lower) are reproduced with excellent clarity and detail and fidelity, whether it is music or movies;
and listener fatigue never happens.

the best way for you to know about Axiom speakers is to try them for free in your own home; in case you don't like them, you're only paying for sending them back.
i thought about doing this for a long time before ordering, and i never regretted it.

check the link below my sig.

kingface #368605 03/03/12 07:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mirage and Energy are now owned by Audiovox. They were once wonderful brands of speakers owned by Audio Products International. The one thing that concerns me with the Mirage and Energy of the present is whether they hold true to the original design specifications and not trying to cheapen them out - parts, materials.

Audiovox has a history of buying up and ruining product lines IMO.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
kingface #368606 03/03/12 07:43 PM
K
OP Offline
K
Wow!! Thanks a billion for your quick replies guys!! Makes me want to get Axioms even more now! I have looked a lot at those M-22's. I like them a lot....but like I said....I may be getting into a house in the next year or two so this is temporary....which is why I was leaning to the 60's. As for a sub....I have an older Boston VR500 that I have been using but it will be upgraded soon to either an SVS PB12NSD or an Outlaw Lfm ex. I agree about Ascends being quite ugly....almost got them...but I can't get over the look.

Music I listen to varies a lot.... from classical and jazz to Peter Gabriel, Coldplay and Metallica and Iron Maiden..... yep...you read right!! HAHA!!

As for movies. I have 2 systems.....for just casual watching I use the living room system. For more 'epic' movies I like it on the projector and in the dedicated room.....which is where these speakers would be going into... Movies such as LOTR, Star Wars, Avatar, superhero movies etc... so on the new system I would be listening to BIG movies....

Thanks again guys!!

And J.B.....that system is CRAZY COOL in that smallish room!! Reminds me of the old MTV add when MTV first came out and they actually played videos..... the guy sitting in his chair getting blown away!

kingface #368607 03/03/12 08:02 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
what you will want for a subwoofer is one that goes down very low in frequencies.
a short while ago i changed the tuning on mine from 16Hz to 11Hz, and i'm not going back to the former setting, it's so much better.
also, so far, the speaker in the sub has not bottomed out; it still has some in reserve.

when a movie does have info in those frequencies, it makes a very good addition to the movie sound, it adds to the movie feel as the director wanted it to be. LOTR and Avatar and others are better when those ulf are reproduced. WOTW's tripod emergence scene at the beginning of the movie makes your feet move with the waves in the wooden floor and... (enough said).

kingface #368608 03/03/12 08:06 PM
J
connoisseur
connoisseur
J
re. the MTV ad, make a search for "maxell speaker ad"; done in the 80's.

Last edited by J. B.; 03/03/12 08:13 PM.
kingface #368610 03/03/12 08:29 PM
veteran
veteran
Hi Kingface. I believe the Energy brand is fading, but the RC line up are/were really good speakers. I love my Axiom's, but if I were in the market for new floorstanders, I've seen the RC-70's for $800.00/pair-that is a really good deal for those speakers...

However, for service after you buy, Axiom is the best and as far as I can see, they aren't going anywhere. If you do have issues with the discontinued RC's down the road, I'm not sure what sort of support is available. Both brands are awesome, Canadian designed speakers-don't be afraid to buy ID from Axiom. Just my 2 cents.

kingface #368614 03/03/12 10:46 PM
devotee
devotee
I have both the M22s and M60s. For your present room the M22s would be more than enough, but if you plan to upgrade in the near future go with the M60s now and don't look back. The new VP160 is a perfect match and will make you happy in a much bigger room.

J.B., have you ever thought about a nice Harmony One??? grin

I started out with nothing & I've still got most of it left
M60 VP160 QS8 EP350
M22 VP100
Algonquins
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940